Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2001 11:20:46 AM EDT
I think that I have an interesting question.

I used to live in GA and have a GA concealed carry permit. I got it mainly so that I could purchase guns without having to pay $5 for the background check.

I now live in FL and have established residency there with a FL driver's license.

I am planning to go back to GA in a couple of weeks to purchase a rifle or two.

Question- Can I still use my GA carry permit to purchase the rifles without having to go through the background check?

Can I even purchase a rifle in GA now that I am a FL resident?

Thank you for your help.
A
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#1]
No. you have to be a resident of GA to buy a firearm in this state. If you still need to by here, Do what we do, bring someone who is a resident have them do the purchase and sign it over to you in the parking lot.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 1:43:33 PM EDT
[#2]
That's even if you pay the $5.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 3:41:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh no! Is this a GA law? I read in some of the other posts that say that you can purchase rifles out of state.

Darn!

A
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 6:12:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I was able to find the answer to my question at the GA department of state website.

The relevant state codes are 10-1-100 and 10-1-101

10-1-100.

Residents of the State of Georgia may purchase rifles and shotguns
 in any state contiguous to the State of Georgia, provided such
 residents conform to applicable provisions of statutes and
 regulations of the United States, of the State of Georgia, and of
 the contiguous state in which the purchase is made.

10-1-101.

Residents of any state contiguous to the State of Georgia may
 purchase rifles and shotguns in the State of Georgia, provided such
 residents conform to applicable provisions of statutes and
 regulations of the United States, of the State of Georgia, and of
 the contiguous state in which such persons reside.

It looks like I am set as far as rifles and shotguns go.

Still have not found any info on using my old carry permit to escape the background check though.

Thanks,
A
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 9:14:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Kittens,

Can you say "Strawman?"  How about straw or strawman purchase?  It is a felony do so what you described.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Isn't a private transfer to a resident of another state illegal. I would check it out. But, you should be able to buy a Longgun (No Handguns) in GA as a FL Resident. Go ahead and use your GA CCW. Only problem I can see is your DL vs. your CCW Address. If someone else owns your GA place I would advise against it. If you or family still own it go ahead.

If you bring a family member with a GA CCW, then do not transfer it in the Parking Lot. Take it to their house, stay a few days, and just happen to take it with you when you head home. Or they can come down to your place and accidently forget their gun.
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:31:11 AM EDT
[#8]
About the GA carry permit, I read the GA Codes and it states that they (the dealer) must look at a photo-id when they accept the carry permit. I wonder if a passport will be acceptable.

I guess I'll find out this weekend since I will be going to the Eastman show in Norcross.

A
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top