Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2001 12:05:40 AM EDT
Taking a drive to California the end or October for a pistol match.  Can I also take the AR in the trunk of the car?  Doe it need to be in a locked case or can I just lay it out in the trunk?
Thanks,
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 12:24:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Sure! and take a bunch of those Hi capacity magazines over there too i hear they get top dollar over there in Kali. [uzi]                                           Please do not take this as legal advise as it is not.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 1:03:38 AM EDT
[#2]
From the guidelines I've read at the California Department of Justice (CAL DOJ) website, it is permitted to take your otherwise prohibited 'assault weapon' into California, so long as you're doing so to engage in a sanctioned competition requiring the presence of said 'assault weapon'.

If you're going to a pistol match, bringing your AR-15 along for the ride is probably prohibited.

If you're going to a service rifle or hipower match for which your AR is a necessity, then I'd say your AR-15 is clearly exempted under California Law.

For a definitive (or at least, legally binding, answer) contact the CAL DOJ prior to transporting your AR-15 into CA.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 7:19:17 AM EDT
[#3]
So a "sanctioned competition" would not include visiting family or friends in California and bringing the guns along just to target shoot or practice at the range?  If you did happen to be attending a sanctioned shoot, it sounds like it would not be wise to use the gun anywhere else except at that sanctioned shoot.

One more reason why I don't intend to ever move back there.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I would forego bringing the AR if you are not going to use it for the comp.

The official CA A.G. site might be able to help you. [url]http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/dwcl/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 4:15:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:49:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Of course, almost no one knows this, and very few of those who do obey it.

-Troy
View Quote

Boy that's for sure. Good thing I don't get pulled over every day as that is about how often my AR is in my vehicle. Do you suppose I could convince an LEO that the auto shop I work in doubles as a gun smith shop[:D]
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 11:16:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I get the picture.  Will have to take the AR out of the trunk when I leave.  Sure glad I had the good fortune to leave Kali over 20 yrs ago.  

I remember Jr. High School in a Los Angeles suburb when I could ride to school with a bolt action .22 on the handle bars of my bike for a rifle match after school. (School rifle club).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top