Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2001 4:33:50 AM EDT
I am wanting to build a sten smg but am not sure how I would have to go about it legally.

I found the parts kits (minus receiver) and I can buy them with no restrictions, right?  The part that confuses me the most is the receiver tube.  One of the guys selling receiver blanks said that I could make the receiver to be semi or full auto with no restrictions because it would make the gun an AOW.  I am quite suspicious of this, but dont konw for sure if this is untrue.

Can someone help me out as I would like to try to get a smg, but would prefer to be legal.  :)
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 4:51:38 AM EDT
[#1]
you can't build an SMG unless your a licensed manufacturer.

you shouldn't have both the tube/template and parts kit in the same place... it could be construed as intent to manufacture.

you can build a dummy gun using the kit and tube.  simply do not cut out the ejection port or sear port and weld a piece of 1.5" pipe in place of the bolt.

you can build a semi if you're lucky enough to be able to get your hands on some semi internal components.

I recently came across an open bolt semi sten built about 20 years ago and after some inquiry learned that atf considers these a no-no even if they were built back when open bolt guns were considered ok.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 5:07:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Is there any way to have a licensed manufacturer build it and transfer it to me?  I am just wanting it for some fun shooting at the range, costly, but fun.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 6:38:10 AM EDT
[#3]
no.
any built now would not be transferrable to you as an individual.  you can find one that was built prior to 86... it will cost you $2500 (I think)... and your state must allow it...
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 3:11:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Sell the parts or legally purchase a FA Sten and just keep the kit as back up parts.  Otherwise, the kit is useless.  

If you decide to purchase a Sten, you have to jump through all ATF hoops via a Form 4, CLEO approval etc.
Top Top