Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2001 4:11:40 AM EDT
I would like to have a silencer on my 10/22, but how do I legally do this? How much will it cost? Where do I get the paper work?

Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 4:55:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Your kidding right ? Why would you want a silencer for a 10/22. You can use Sub-Sonic Ammo. for dramatic noise reduction. But, if you are serious, then you will need to fill out the proper ATF/NFA forms, get the signature of your local police chief or sherrif, wait forever, be check-out by the ATF and pay a nice $200 tax for a stamp. After 60 or more days you will get your stamp (if approved) and can take possession of your silencer. Make sure to keep a copy of your stamp in case any ATF stormtroopers question you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 7:48:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Lots of 10/22 suppressors out there- shop around and start with the Bower's board [URL]subguns.com[/URL]- just go to the NFA message board.

I just purchased and had approved two suppressors.  It takes 90 days, not 60, for the approval.  Check to see your state allows them- your local class 3 FFL would know.  If you buy out of state, you have to wait another 30 days for the From 3 transfer from that FFL to your FFL.

The form you want is a Form 4, although you also need an FBI finger print card (2) and two passport photos.  The Form can be ordered over the phone or by downloading from the ATF site.  Find a good FFL to deal with and he will walk you through the whole process.  CLEO approval is key.  Might want to set up a meeting with him/her and expain the deal- that you are a collector and want to enhance your collection (I am assuming here).

Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#3]
You are in Luck. The quietest 22lr suppressors made are done right there in TX.  Contact John Tibbetts of John's Guns Palastine TX.

You can buy a complete firearm or just have your barrel modified. By the time your forms clear he will have the gun ready for pickup.

[url]http://www.johnsguns.com[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top