Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2006 3:40:43 AM EDT
The Gov sighned the bill yesterday. I dont know how much it differs from Fl law but we no longer have a duty to retreat! I feel kinda stuped, I did not know this was being pushed here.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:40:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Pardon my stupidity but what is the castle doctrine?

Sorry if this is a REALLY stupid question.

AP
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:53:58 AM EDT
[#2]
You are kidding, right?

My home is my castle.....take it from there.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#3]
No duty to retreat, it saves you half a second with your fight or flight.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:02:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
No duty to retreat, it saves you half a second with your fight or flight.

I'

I think it gives you more than a half a second, because I've never taken the doctrine in that context. I think a castle law gives us more liberal operating parameters for self/home defense.

Although the actual laws may vary, my interpretation is that the castle doctrine as a whole eliminates some liability for those who have chosen to defend themselves in their home. I think it allows us to operate under the assumption that anyone who willfully trespasses onto our property, regardless of (stated or purported) intent to merely commit theft, can be assumed to be capable of, and willing to, commit grievous bodily harm to those in the household. And working under that assumption, the homeowner is justified in using potentially deadly force whether there is a direct threat or not.

Maybe, the Hun, or some other legal mind in the hive can comment.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:20:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The Gov sighned the bill yesterday. I dont know how much it differs from Fl law but we no longer have a duty to retreat! I feel kinda stuped, I did not know this was being pushed here.

<John McClane>Welcome to the party, pal</John McClane>

Good job, neighbor!    

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:50:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks  'fan.  The doctrine in Al. applys not just to the home but anyware . If its a good shoot the DA cant use the old, why didn't you run. Thats all the law did, was remove the retreat clause. So in that split second we have, to decide to run or shoot( Fight or flight) we no longer need worry if some young DA needs to make a name for himself.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Yet one more reason to relocate.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks  'fan.  The doctrine in Al. applys not just to the home but anyware . If its a good shoot the DA cant use the old, why didn't you run. Thats all the law did, was remove the retreat clause. So in that split second we have, to decide to run or shoot( Fight or flight) we no longer need worry if some young DA needs to make a name for himself.

No flame intended, but if you are waiting for a confrontation to decide whether to run or fight...you are already too late!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:12:59 AM EDT
[#9]
congratulations Alabama!

I wish we had it here in WA, instead we have an illegal governor who gives us entitlement bills based on sexual preferences and additional gas taxes.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:21:51 AM EDT
[#10]
WIRE, you are correct sir. No flame taken. When faced with such an event I do not and now dont need to worry if I should run, to escape prosicution. Call your lawmakers.Make your state safe for self defence.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top