Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2006 12:53:17 PM EDT
I've been talking to my mom about buying me a handgun as a birthday present.

I would have her give me the money and I'd buy one of my choosing for myself... but there's a catch. I'm only 18.

Is there a way for her to legally purchase a gun for me as a gift, or is it better to have her buy it under her name?

I know in NC you don't need to register a handgun, just get a purchase permit for it... so how's the best way to handle this?

Edited: Poor spelling, oops.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:03:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope, this is a straw purchase.

Now, if your mother bought it for you as a gift with HER money, and you can legally posess it, then it would be ok.

*I am not nor have hever been an Attorney, played an Attorney on TV, nor have I spent the night at a Holiday Inn Express  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#2]
So, she can buy it for her, with her money... and I can just borrow it on weekends? Seeing as I am legally allowed to posses a firearm (just purchased a rifle).
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:12:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So, she can buy it for her, with her money... and I can just borrow it on weekends? Seeing as I am legally allowed to posses a firearm (just purchased a rifle).

Being able to posess a rifle does not necessarily mean you can posess a handgun.

Since you are on the internet, try this site for the info you are looking for.  Try "NC gun laws".

good luck.

ETA:  usefull information here
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Giving a firearm as a gift to an individual who is otherwise legally qualified to own it is lawful.

The fact that you have just anounced over the internet that you would like to give someone money to buy a firearm for you might be construed as evidence that you had intent to be the recipient of a straw purchase. Not really a smart idea.

Hint: Next time, ask is if it is OK to receive a firearms as a gift, Don't ask in a public forum if it is legal for you to give someone money to purchase a firearm for you. That is not a gift, it is a straw purchase.
And that would be illegal.

If you cannot legally possess a handgun, then of course you cannot be in possession of it. That mean she would have to purchase it, own it and accompany you the the firing range if you want to shoot it, as it it must be in her possession. My advice, wait until you are 21 and enjoy your rifles and shotguns for now.
If a cop catches you with one, and you get charged with a felony, you may never legally be able to own ANY firearms again.

Not worth it, IMO.  

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Perhaps you misread... I'm not asking her to buy the gun for me with my money. It would be a present, an actual birthday present. I was saying that I would have her give me the money so I could buy it for myself if I was of age, but I'm not. So I need her as a middle-(wo)man.

I understand purchasing a firearm for someone else is illegal... but I recall reading somewhere that a gun could be purchased, or registered as a gift... I just want clarification of what to do.

I'm rather internet saavy, I've been on google for a while now and can't get a straight answer for what I want (it took me long enough to find that you need a purchase permit).

I'm not trying to do anything illegal, I want the legal way to do this, that's why I'm asking here and am not afraid to put anything in writing.

The fact that you have just anounced over the internet that you would like to give someone money to buy a firearm for you might be construed as evidence that you had intent to be the recipient of a straw purchase. Not really a smart idea.

Again, reread my original post... I am NOT going to give her any cash (that would destroy the purpose of it beign a birthday gift, haha his
What is the legal way for my mother to purchase a hand gun as a birthday present? Is this legal at all? I recall seeing some fine print in the laws regarding guns as gifts that I'm not clear on. Perhaps I'm thinking of this in regards to inheretance laws, seeing as I just inherited several guns from my grand-father.

Or would she have to buy the gun for herself to remain in her posession and allow me to take it to the range on ocassion?

I WANT to do this legally, I don't want to wait until I'm 21 to be able to shoot, lol.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:42:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm rather internet saavy, I've been on google for a while now and can't get a straight answer for what I want (it took me long enough to find that you need a purchase permit).

I WANT to do this legally, I don't want to wait until I'm 21 to be able to shoot, lol.

Links and advice have been given.  If you can't responsibly use the internet, please do yourself and society a favor and wait until you can buy the handgun yourself.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#7]
So much for getting some advice from knowledgable people.

I'm asking a fairly specific question. Surely someone can give me some answers.

Please, don't post in my thread if you're going to knock my level of intelligence.

There's so much "BS" floating aroun the internet that I'm not sure what's true and isn't, that's why I'm asking for advice from a group of people I assumed (apparently wrongly) to be knowledgable about the legalities of handgun purchases.

So please, help me with my question, or move on... I don't need BS flags waved at me (effectively calling my character into question).

Can ANYBODY answer a simple question?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Let's try ONE MORE TIME.

See linky... CLICK LINKY!!!!!!!!!11111

For cryin out loud... how many times do you need this question of your answered?!?!  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:52:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
So much for getting some advice from knowledgable people.

I'm asking a fairly specific question. Surely someone can give me some answers.

Please, don't post in my thread if you're going to knock my level of intelligence.

There's so much "BS" floating aroun the internet that I'm not sure what's true and isn't, that's why I'm asking for advice from a group of people I assumed (apparently wrongly) to be knowledgable about the legalities of handgun purchases.

So please, help me with my question, or move on... I don't need BS flags waved at me (effectively calling my character into question).

Can ANYBODY answer a simple question?

I apologize if I misunderstood about the money exchange thing - I guess it was the way you worded it.

have you tried posing the question on the WI hometown forum? State laws will differ on this topic.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:03:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Let's try ONE MORE TIME.

See linky... CLICK LINKY!!!!!!!!!11111

For cryin out loud... how many times do you need this question of your answered?!?!   h.gif

For cryin out loud, how does that help? I see nothing under the Purchase section that pertains to my question.... have you read it?

Perhaps I'm missing something that I might need quoted that you're seeing and I'm not.

The best thing I see is this...

A license or permit must be obtained to purchase, sell, give away, transfer, inherit, or receive a handgun by applying to the county sheriff in which the purchase is to be made or where the receiver resides.

Which does not give me enough detail as to how these vary and what motions are required for each. I need more detail.

@_DR,
No problem. I guess I'll try my hometown forum if this doesn't pan out.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 8:19:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Seems CRYSTAL CLEAR!!!

You can't receive a gun without a permit!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top