Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2004 7:00:31 PM EDT
I have been thinking about getting my own ffl but really dont know if the hassle is worth it.  I mainly buy guns but here lately I have been having issues with several local dealers.  Weather it is just trying to get them order me a gun or trying to get one shipped to them.  Monday I ordered 2 guns from 2 different people out of state,  I then went to one of my local dealers to get a ffl copy and was not able to for the reason that he is opperating under someone elses liscense.  So I go to another dealer thet has done it for me in the past and find out his liscense is no good since he is "changing ownership" according to him but I later find out he got them revoked or something.   He refered me to another guy that didnt want anything to do with it.  So i finally found an ol boy who owns a pawn shop (I have known him for many years) who was willing to do it.  I sent the signed copies off and thought all was good.    

WRONG,  I found out today his FFL is expiredhave
I would like to be able to get dealer discounts and whatnot and have them shipped straight to my house.  I would like to be able to get guns for my friends at discount prices.  

Could I benefit having a liscense?  If I had one can I have the guns shipped to my house and have someone else sign for them while I am at work?  How hard is it to get one and how much do they cost?

help me out here.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:45:59 AM EDT
[#1]
In order to get a Type 01 dealers license, you will have to be operating a legitimate business, have all the local business licenses and tax documents and must comply with local zoning laws.  Batf will not give you a license just for the convience of purchasing personal firearms.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:40:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Most states' corporations offices have web sites and FAQ's on "How to Incorporate in [state]" that allow you to download the forms you need for incorporating, filing the appropriate taxes, business licenses, etc. Most, if not all, can be filled-out and filed by individual entreprenuers without an attorney.

The ATF had a FAQ on how to get your FFL.

I'd read both of these sets of materials closely, and determine if the cost is beneficial, and then I'd draw-up a proposed budget for the next 2 years, and then add 50% to the overhead to see if I can make it float in a near-worst case scenario.  Most new businesses fail, not from lack of hard work, but from too-optomistic financial planning.

Primarily, you need a location you can hold business hours and from which you can legally (read state and local laws) do business.
It has to be a business for the purpose of making money, not just supporting your own collecting.

But, it sounds like your area needs a decent dealer, so you may have a good market.

Good luck,
Otto

ETA: On closer reading, EOD_Guy said essentially the same thing... sorry for the duplicate info, but atleast we agree.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:01:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I am working towards the goal of getting my FFL as well...  I am starting with the tools and setting up a shop and I want it to allow me to do Gunsmithing work as well as transfers.  I have been doing OK so far as I have the Bridgeport, lathe, engravers, drill press, air compressors, and blast cabinet, as well as tons of the other smaller tools all paid off.  Too bad I have a 50-hr a week day job and three kids that keep me from using the tools!

I plan to apply for my FFL this winter once I have the shop all setup...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 5:37:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Eh,  probably just wishfull thinking.  But I will check into it.  I may not be able to do it now but I am going to need somthing to do when I retire in about 30 years
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are still looking for a FFL dealer near you check the Shotgun News web site.
They have  FFL dealers listed by state.
Most will do transfors for around $25.00.

Court 223    

AKA, Court in FL.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:26:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Besides the cost of being a legit buisiness, I would want to run this business from a location other than my residence, since the BATFE can search the FFL address on a whim.  I don't have drugs or anything illegal at the house, but I don't want storm trooper going through my stuff anyway.

There may be a list of local FFLs in your hometown board.
Top Top