Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2004 12:05:24 PM EDT
A friend of mine has some questions about an inheritance. She is 49 years old. Her mother died 28 years ago. Her father died 10 years ago. Before her father died met a woman and they lived together for 10 or so years, but they never got married.

Before her father died he and his girlfriend wrote out a will together. It leaves his house (the one my friend grew up in with her parents) to be split equally between the 4 children (my friend and her sister, and the girlfriend's 2 kids) when both of them die.

Now for the last 10 years since my friend's dad died his girlfriend and at various times her 2 children have lived at the house. My friend however was charged rent by her dad's girlfriend when she lived there. She moved out after a year or so because she despised the fact that she was now paying rent to live in the house that she grew up in with her own parents.

The girlfriend is much younger then my friend's father. Infact she is only about 15 years older then my friend. She is pissed that her mother and father died so many years ago and has to wait until her dad's girlfriend to die to get her inheritance. Not only that but those people have all been living in the house rent free while my friend has to wait just to get 1/4 of the house.

Is there any way my friend could sue to get her 1/4 value of the house now ?

If she does have to wait until the girlfriend dies can she sue to get more then 1/4 of the house being that the other people lived there rent free for so many years ?

Link Posted: 8/25/2004 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/25/2004 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm pretty sure there is absolutly no way the oler lady could charge her rent due to the fact she is part owner!  Unless your friend charges the older lady rent too.  Does your friend pay any of the property taxes?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:38:03 AM EDT
[#3]
+3  "see a lawyer"

ETA: For specifics, I defer to Steve, below, for he obviously didn't sleep through his 8 am "stiffs & gifts" class. To me, Property Law is a blur as well.

Cheers, Otto
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:39:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:44:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, you learn something new every day!  The law still seems a little messed up though, as I cannot imagine a law ever seeming unreasonable.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top