BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2017 12:19:32 AM EDT
Deleted.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:32:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:45:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I just don't understand the wacky dramatization of your mothers death... this post weirds me out.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:47:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm so sorry for you and what happened to your mother.  Prayers for you and your family.

Was your mom diabetic?  How old was she and what was the initial heart surgery for?  Do you know why they started her on blood thinners before the surgery?  Was she already on a blood thinner and they change her to heparin for the surgery?

I would be asking a lot of questions.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:56:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Deleted.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:30:14 AM EDT
[#5]
They're Doctors and Nurses, Not magicians. Not every procedure is successful.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:07:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry about your mom. Unless you have strong evidence of egregious malpractice I would not pursue it. It sounds like the medical team went all out, but there is only so much you can do in patients with diabetes, kidney disease, heart disease, peripheral vascular disease.

Mourn and move on.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:14:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry for your loss but sounds like lots of underlying medical conditions caused problems to magnify and bring about her death.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:18:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Acute kidney injury occurs fairly frequently (maybe 30%) in patients who undergo cardiac surgery. I'd be shocked if she wasn't informed of this risk prior to surgery.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:45:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Was she not informed of risks before surgery?  Did she sign any waiver of liability? How is this the Surgeons fault?   Im sorry for your mothers loss but shit happens.........it sounds like your mom was medically complicated from the get go........Peoples condition can change in the blink of an eye and as we age it gets worse along with our bodys potential to heal.   Your mother is gone........is a lawsuit for something that they will walk from going to bring her back?   Mourn and move on.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:59:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry for your mom, you getting money to buy a Corvette won't bring her back.
View Quote
No, but money for a grandchild's college fund might not be inappropriate. Don't attribute motivations.

OP, I'm generally against lawsuits and malpractice, but it sound like the night be something fucky with the blood thinners. Or, you are grieving and looking for...something. For which I cannot blame you.

Take the file to a local/your family lawyer and see what they say. The ones who aren't malpractice factories will give you an idea of whether there's any there there. If it gives you some peace, it will be worth the consult fee.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just don't understand the wacky dramatization of your mothers death... this post weirds me out.
View Quote
This is a tech forum, not GD. Don't be an ass.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:03:49 AM EDT
[#12]

My condolences for your mother's passing.  I pray that you are comforted.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:  Thanks. Yes she was a Diabetic. She was 58, the surgery was for bypasses. I think they started her on blood thinners because she had severe blockages in her heart. I don't think she was on blood thinners before.
View Quote
My father is about to turn 80.  He's been a Type 1 diabetic for about 40 years.  He follows a strict diet, and tracks his blood sugar closely.  Other than his pancreas not working, he's in near perfect health and works full time as a Treasurer for a million $ company.

We had a good friend who was short and round.  Diabetes took his legs, then his sight, then him.  He never followed a strict diet, and paid the price.

I'm sorry your mom died so young, but I suspect someone other than her medical professionals was ultimately to blame for her early death.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:02:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like your mom had access to top notch medical care, her medical team did everything within their power to prolong the inevitable and make her comfortable, an did their responsibility and duty as medical practitioners. Why don't you reward them with litigation?

Seriously though sorry about your loss. I understand your mourning but assigning guilt is not the right approach here. I'm a doctor. We are not omnipotent. We do the best we can every day. We take hopeless cases pour our heart and souls into it, work 80-100 hour weeks, and even in those hopeless cases where we without a doubt know we could not have changed the outcome we still assign guilt to ourselves and feel responsible for things we didn't cause. If your looking for answers how about talk with the doctor rather than speculating.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 12:36:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sounds like your mom had access to top notch medical care, her medical team did everything within their power to prolong the inevitable and make her comfortable, an did their responsibility and duty as medical practitioners. Why don't you reward them with litigation?

Seriously though sorry about your loss. I understand your mourning but assigning guilt is not the right approach here. I'm a doctor. We are not omnipotent. We do the best we can every day. We take hopeless cases pour our heart and souls into it, work 80-100 hour weeks, and even in those hopeless cases where we without a doubt know we could not have changed the outcome we still assign guilt to ourselves and feel responsible for things we didn't cause. If your looking for answers how about talk with the doctor rather than speculating.
View Quote
But doctor's sometimes do make mistakes.  She was allergic to the blood thinner they had her on. Did the doc who prescribed it do his due diligence? Was the allergy developed during the course of treatment, or was it an atypical reaction?  If it was a mistake, did it contribute substantially to her death?

Doctors can be the best people in the world, and nearly kill themselves trying to heal people.  But they still make mistakes.  And the virtues of the former can't be a shield against the latter.  The malpractice system is FUBAR, but I lay that squarely at the feet of the Trial Lawyer's association and their accomplices in state and federal governments, and local medical boards who have a history of doing ANYTHING to protect their members, even those who should have been jailed, much less lose their license.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 2:23:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for you advice guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top