Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/25/2003 10:42:33 AM EDT
Hey Guys,
I am new to the sight, but not to ar-15's. I bought a 16" carbine kit from model 1 three years ago. I see they are now offering an xm177 upper which they advertise as preban. However, it says the flashhider is welded on.My question is this: would grinding the bayonet lug off make it legal since the barrel is not threaded? Or does the fact that it has a flashhider(even permanently installed)make it a preban no matter what other features it has or lacks? I am confused by the flashhider/flash suppressor/muzzle brake/compensator definitions. Thank you  
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 10:49:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Whats funny is the military manuals for the AR15 call the flash hider a compensator...
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Also, any muzzle device that is 22mm in diameter is a grenade launcher, which also counts as a named item.
View Quote

This is a common misnomer.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Guys,
Thanks for your answers.I have decided to abort that idea. I've waited three years with a quasi-CAR-15, so I guess I can wait another 15 months.
I do have one more question- the CAR-15(XM-177)flashhider would be considered both a flashhider AND a grenade launcher? Talk about a double whammy. Once again, I thank you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top