Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2003 6:07:49 PM EDT
I have a friend who's teen just got in trouble (arrested) for having a loaded bb gun in the side compartment of his door. The officer that pulled him over said it is just like having a firearm in the car and he was charged with having a concealed weapon. I was under the impression that the BATF does not regard bb guns as real firearms so they do not have the same laws. I would like to know if I am right and any other helpful info you may have. Another thing that makes me question this cops knowledge about the law is his justification for charging him was it had a "laser sight" on it, which was actually a dot scope, none the less I do not see what that has to do with anything. Sounds like he was just out to get him in trouble to me. Well, we are all upset about this because he is a good kid so I would appreciate all of your help and info. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:59:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:18:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks a lot for the help gunnut, I will tell his parents what you showed me. They are going to get a lawyer so maybe there is some way this won't show up on his record. He had no intentions of using it as a weapon; it is my understanding he just forgot to take it out. Thanks again for your time.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#4]
He had no intentions of using it as a weapon.

Ummm, why did he have it there?  Was he going to show it to people driving down the street (brandish??)  Was he just going to have it be seen walking into the Stop and Rob?  Was he going to point it in the general direction of somebody with a real gun and learn one last final lesson?

If he's a juvenile then Dad can give him a good ass whiipin and walking papers until he learns smarts.  Assuming he doesn't get some county time.

If he's an adult, he just learned to grow up because there are some toys you don't play with in publc.

He was doing something stupid and got caught.  What did he do that got the attention of the gendarmeries that caused them to stop and then find out about the bb gun?  I don't think your friends told you the whole story.  maybe the kid hasn't told them.  Obviously it was enough that the cop didn't tell him how stupid he was and give him a warning.

Just because the BATF doesn't consider it a gun for their purposes doesn't mean Georgia doesn't.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top