Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2003 3:33:21 PM EDT
If a lower is registered as a pistol from the FFL, is it legal to build it into a standard rifle configuration?
I know that on weapons like the Contender/Encore, it is legal to do so, but they're nice PC single-shot weapons.
Any help is appreciated.
 -Hobbit
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:49:13 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have a complete AR pistol (which I must assume was made preban) keep it that way - it is worth more as a pistol!

BTW - yes you can go from a pistol config to rifle, but never back. So keep it a pistol.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:06:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Prof, not true.

If you have a pistol (meaning it was built as a pistol, and never had a stock on it before being built into a complete firearm), you can put a stock on it later, provided you put a barrel of at least 16" length on it before the stock goes on.  It can then revert to being a pistol by taking off the stock.

A rifle cannot be made into a pistol because of the way the law defines a pistol and a rifle.

Legal pistol to legal rifle and back = OK.

Legal rifle to legal pistol = "short barreled rifle".

Strange, I know, but that's the way it works.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:10:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually, this would be with stripped post-ban lowers. I realize that the 50-ounce rule is in effect currently, but I was thinking about keeping it un-built until Sept. 2004.
If there is no replacement AWB, then do a pistol build. If there is, build a rifle.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:22:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Circuits - I won't argue, I would love to believe your opinion! But in a little meeting I had with an ATF agent I was told in no uncertain terms that if a weapon at any time becomes a shoulder fired weapon it can not revert to prior status (except an item in the NFA registry).

Please understand due to my recent traumas I have taken the position of not doing ANYTHING without obtaining a letter first, and when ask give the more restrictive (safer) opinion.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 5:21:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Troy-
Does that refer to weapons assembled into a pistol (like a factory OA-93), or just registered as one (like a stripped lower), or both?
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top