Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2003 11:14:21 PM EDT
From what I understand, the ban might be over in Sept. 2004, but will we get to know whether or not it will before that time?
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 3:11:09 AM EDT
[#1]
For certain you'll know by Oct. 2004, be patient, write and call your representatives and senators, let them know how you feel. Pull out the phone book for your area and send like letters and comments from those folks too, the more mail they receive on the subject the greater the chance that this un-constitutional travesty will die and the two-tiered monetary system created by it will pass too...

This is one issue where our due diligence [b]CAN MAKE A DECIDED DIFFERENCE[/b].

Mike
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:56:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Seems like we would know before October of 2004.  If the ban sunsets in September, I say at 1201am the following day you are good to go.  Probably won't know for [b]sure[/b] before that time 'cause the democraticfagots may try to squeeze something through late in the day/night prior to the sunset date.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:40:21 AM EDT
[#3]
According to the 2nd Amendment it never existed....

But besides that Im not giving up until it actually expires.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I would love to be wrong but here in California, the state law stay holds and we will not benfit from the AWB sunset. Someone please tell me I am wrong.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#5]
From what I've read, the current ban will sunset and go away. There is no question about that. The only thing is whether they will pass a replacement ban. That can happen at any time. If it doesn't happen before the current ban expires, then it's gone of course.

There are also state bans to contend with. I believe CA has a nasty one that will not sunset with the Federal ban.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#6]
As does New Jersey. It's a nightmare for law abiding citizen.  The sunset will have no effect her in NJ. Still no mags over 10, etc etc.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As does New Jersey. It's a nightmare for law abiding citizen.  The sunset will have no effect her in NJ. Still no mags over 10, etc etc.  
View Quote

Hey at least you can have a pistol grip [>(]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:32:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Here are some important phone numbers that can be used to voice your concerns about the AWB. There is NO REASON that every member on this board can't take five minutes and call them all.

Dennis Hastert, Speaker of The House
(202) 225-2976

Tom DeLay, House Majority Leader
(202) 225-5951

Bill Frist, Senate Majority Leader
(202) 224-3344

The White House
(202) 456-1111

Also call your Senators. It only takes a couple minutes. Don't whine about the AWB unless you are doing your part to help stop it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:02:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
From what I've read, the current ban will sunset and go away. There is no question about that. The only thing is whether they will pass a replacement ban. That can happen at any time. If it doesn't happen before the current ban expires, then it's gone of course.
View Quote

Absolutely correct.  There is no "renewal" per se.  The ban will expire Sept 04.  At any time before [i]or after[/i] then, Congress may pass a new AWB.  If it's before, then it would probably supercede the existing law.  If after, there will be a period where every weapon becomes pre-ban again.  Go out and buy 10 lower receivers, assemble them in "evil" configuration (one at a time, if you have to), and get a notarized statement that they were so configured.  That means they are instantly verifiable pre-bans if another AWB comes out after the 94 AWB expires.

The ideal situation, of course, is for us to beat it into Congress' collective skull that bills like this are going to be a losing issue for them, and there will never be another AWB.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 1:18:18 AM EDT
[#10]
remember this -- we are NOT homefree even after deadline passes.

the ban CAN come back in 2005, 2006, 2010 ..etc
some liberal idiots are predicting that GW wont win re-election, the congress in theory could go back to being democrap controlled. the future could hold another klinton and sept '04.

never stop fighting.
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 7:15:29 AM EDT
[#11]
If anyones interested check out HR 2038 [short title is "To reauthorize the assault weapons ban and for other purposes] at http://thomas.loc.gov. This is what we all need to be watchful of as the current ban may well sunset, but the Anti-gun crowd is trying to repeal the sunset clause from the '94 ban and also encompassing weapons the the 1st AWB didnt get. We cannot afford to assume that the house leaders will just let the old one sunset.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top