Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2002 2:28:45 PM EDT
A friend told me Florida has a 3 day waiting period for gun purchase if you don't have a weapons permit. How do gun shows work in Fla if that's true? Looks like it would be impossible to buy a gun at a gun show there if you have to wait 3 days and the gun show is only for 2 days.  Can any knowledgable Fla resident help with some info on this? Am considering a move to Fla is reason I'm asking. Thanks.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#1]
If the transaction can't be completed in person, there's a way for the vendor to ship to you at your residence, provided you filled out the 4473 in person, etc.  It's "Part 2" of the 4473 form, for shipment of a firearm to your home address by the seller, and it's a pain in the ass, but it can be done.

Otherwise, you'd have to pick it up at the seller's shop, or another gunshow in-state after the 3-day waiting period had concluded.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought Fla was a pretty progressive gun state, but this doesn't sound like it is. Seems like a 3 day wait would pretty much kill gun shows, but I see them advertised all the time so how do they even continue?

Does this also prevent sales between individuals at a gun show, or can that even be done?
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 7:59:24 AM EDT
[#3]
What the commercial sellers usually do is transfer the gun to a dealer close to the buyers residence, and deliver it there.  Also, most of the commercial sellers I've seen at shows have a store where you can pickl it up if convenient.

Private party sales depend on the county.  There is no statewide prohibition aghainst them. There is however, a provision which allows counties to restrict private sales.  I have seen private sales in such counties, noone saying anything, but it is illegal as a technicality.  So, it can be immediate if you are in the right county.
Link Posted: 12/29/2002 12:16:27 PM EDT
[#4]
The 3 day wait can be avoided even if you don't have a CCW, you just need to bring a gun with you that you already own.
Link Posted: 12/30/2002 5:33:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The 3 day wait can be avoided even if you don't have a CCW, you just need to bring a gun with you that you already own.
View Quote

[b]AND..[/b] can prove it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 5:16:31 AM EDT
[#6]

I would assume that gun shows aren't held in counties that have such restrictions?

Do any other Fla residents have a comment about how this affects their enjoyment of gun shows, or is it not as much of a hassle as it seems?

Link Posted: 1/2/2003 6:52:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been in florida for 6 mos. That was my first shock. I have to WAIT!! before I can pick up a gun that I am legally allowed to own??
The three day thing really sucks. Only ccw holders can avoid the wait. What a coincidence that the wait is three days and gun shows are two days long. Do you think that the anti's planned it that way?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top