Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2002 11:13:37 PM EDT
I'm pretty sure i read somewhere that California is changing its basic handgun safety course for the year 2003.

I have a friend who just turned 21 and he wants to get a handgun.
I suggested he take the NRA saftey course so that he can then buy a pistol, but then will he have to get ANOTHER certification after the new year to keep buying pistols?

Or will the prior course taken this year exempt him from it?

Cause if he has to take another class next year, hes just going to wait till january so that he doesnt have to take two courses.

Thanks for any feedback

Fucking cali
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 4:59:43 AM EDT
[#1]
New course, new test, and you have to "demonstrate" proficiency to the dealer, whatever that means.

This one will expire, and IIRC, there are less exemptions like hunting licneses and a few others.

The old bfsc will no longer work in 2003.

Ray
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 8:27:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the input...

fuck..which means if he takes the BFSC now..in otwo monthes hell have to take the HSC ...

that sucks....

Are you sure about this though?

Link Posted: 11/19/2002 2:22:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/19/2002 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#4]
So do we still have to submit fingerprints for all firearms..

and provide documentation of current residency when obtaining a handgun?

Talk about invasion of privacy.
Link Posted: 11/22/2002 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#5]
The "proficiency" part shouldnt be too tough if you have a good ffl that you have dealt with a few times before. The big problem with this new law is its gonna end up costing you even more $$$ to practice your RIGHT to keep and bear arms.
I hate this state. Oregon here I come!
I would suggest buying whatever you can before this new law goes into effect, just to NOT give them the satisfaction of charging you more money. Small victory, but its somethin at least =/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top