Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/6/2002 10:09:09 AM EDT
I hope this is in an OK topic but here's the scoop.
I sold an AR to a guy in another state almost 8 weeks ago. He paid me using Paypal. Everything seemed to go OK..transaction cleared, got deposited in my account and I subsequently then transferred it to my own Bank account. Everything seemed to be over and done...was shipped to his FFL and was transferred to him (all legal well and good)buyer was happy with gun and I had my payment cleared and deposited.
A week ago I got an email from PayPal informing me they had "REVERSED THE TRANSACTION" and I now had that amount deducted from my account!!!!! Their claim was fraudulent funds. My first question is how can they reverse the transaction after THEY CLEARED IT and deduct it from me especially since it would be the payor's problem?
I have talked to the purchaser/payor and he claims there was no problem. He called Paypal and told them everything was OK. I believe the guy but he no longer has an account with them.
Paypal now claims since I shipped it to the FFL and not the purchasers verified address I was at fault!!!! I explained to the idiots that it had to go to the FFL legally and there certainly was a very official paper trail to prove he received the gun.
They claim it doesn't matter they are investigating HIS account and can take the money back from me even though it cleared!!!!
HELP.
Has anyone else run into this with Paypal and what course of action should I take.
To me this seems like fraud on Paypal's part since they now took my money and won't return it to him either. What kind of scam is this????
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/6/2002 10:47:50 AM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.paypalwarning.com/[/url]

[url]http://www.paypalsucks.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 8:25:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting sites...live and learn but if they just think I'll leave 1800 go by the wayside they picked the wrong guy.
thanks
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks again for the replys. Been advised legally to get a letter from the purchaser stating basically he authorized the transaction got the AR and was happy and he has has not received a credit to his account even though they have debited mine. He says no problem and will have it notarized. I think this guy is legit and the problem is with with Paypal. I know that people always complain about these crooks but we will see if they f**ked with the wrong guy.
I know it's like taking on City Hall but these guys have seemed to have had their problems in court lately. If the purchaser verifies the transaction and I got the money what's their problem??? Maybe I'll be their problem!!!!!
Any other advise is appreciated.
Thanks again to all the reliables on AR.com
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#4]
FYI - Paypal was recently aquired by Ebay. The sight that will not allow selling of firearms or any magazine over 10 rounds. Further since Ebay is in Kalifornia would they be facilitating the sale of a CA DOJ banned weapon or mag?
Link Posted: 11/7/2002 5:09:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess I understand your point but honestly I don't give a Flying F what their politics are.
I conducted a perfectly legal firearm transaction (abiding by ATF rules & regs)on an auction item on gunbroker.com through a licenced FFL.
They can stick their left wing liberal attitudes up their keister...it was legal as of now!!!!
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 12:14:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Everything seemed to be over and done...was shipped to his FFL and was transferred to him (all legal well and good)buyer was happy with gun and I had my payment cleared and deposited.
A week ago I got an email from PayPal informing me they had "REVERSED THE TRANSACTION" and I now had that amount deducted from my account!!!!! Their claim was fraudulent funds. My first question is how can they reverse the transaction after THEY CLEARED IT and deduct it from me especially since it would be the payor's problem?
View Quote

PayPal sucks and should only be used for $10 items.  Anything else should use real credit card processing.

I had the same type of thing occur to me.
Link Posted: 11/9/2002 11:07:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Gunsite - I agree they're trying to screw you with no justification.  I was just making folks aware of who paypal really is.  I'd be curious to know if this is happening with just firearms related transactions. I have a paypal account to send money but refuse to give them bank account info to get "verified". They say I can only send so much money but anytime I get close they just raise the amount. By the way what happened with their cut. When they took your money back did they keep their fee?
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 5:27:02 AM EDT
[#8]
The guy has agreed to send me a letter stating he received the gun and his account was deducted the amount for payment.
Does anybody thinks this helps/
Link Posted: 11/23/2002 4:52:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't like anyone having authority to take money out of  my account, I use a very low balance checking account with my Paypal for that very reason. I get the money from Paypal and then move it quickly. I also use a low limit credit for internet dealings and cancel it at least once a year; either change cards altogether or report it lost and get a new number. I learned my lesson 4 years ago when CDW charged back $1400 and it took 6 months to straighten it out. Practice SAFE money transfer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top