Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2002 10:07:05 PM EDT
I am in the process of starting a completely non-commercial website which will focus on dissecting anti-gun news articles, editorials, press releases, etc. with the objective of pointing out false or inaccurate statements, illogical and emotional "I hate guns" rants, and so on.  The format as originally planned would consist of quoting the entire text, and interjecting commentary on a paragraph by paragraph basis.

However, I have been told that by doing this, I could possibly be in violation of copyright law (in particular, by using the entire text, not just a few bits and pieces).

If this is illegal, my plan B is to not quote the entire text, but rather provide a link to the original article, and "describe" what is said (adding a few word for word quotes here and there).

Any advice?

Thanks!

--Mike
Link Posted: 11/8/2002 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmm, this is a tough question. I think you are in the gray area between clear fair use and clear copyright infringement...

To be safe, I'd link the articles and only quote small bits.

If you want a more solid answer I think you will have to consult with a real copyright lawyer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top