Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2013 1:51:08 PM EDT
I filed a small claim suit against my old landlord for unjustified deductions to our security deposit.  I filled out the required paperwork to submit the case, and attached additional paperwork, copies of material, and pictures with it.  

The table of contents and divider pages I included in my packet were worded "notarized copy of" this or that.  Prior to filing at the courthouse, I thought I had to somehow certify that the papers I made copies off were "authenticated copies" per the court paperwork.  I took them to a notary, hoping to possibly get their stamp with a note stating that they were indeed copies of the original and contained no modifications.  I guess that was asking too much, as they said no way, they don't review documents .  My ignorance.

Anyway, upon filing I inquired about the "authenticated copies" wording.  They said I didn't need to do anything special, and that by signing where I did in all of the required places, I was swearing to their authenticity.  Fine with me.  My problem is I never crossed out the "notarized" wording on my pages (I meant to at the counter at the courthouse).  Should I file a correction of some sort?  Will they bust my ass down or toss my case because of it?  I also forgot to include a copy in my packet that was listed in my table of contents (it was a legal sized original that I was going to make a copy of at the notary).  I have the original and copies now that I'll be bringing on my court date.  Again, will this piss off the judge and ruin my case?  

Thanks for climbing my wall of text.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2013 4:17:35 AM EDT
[#1]
If he says anything about it, tell the court that you thought you had to have the documents notarized and then you were told it was not necessary by whoever told you that. If they don't mention it, don't bring it up.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 4:46:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the input.  I didn't think it was a big deal, but then again I'm not a legal professional.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top