Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2002 7:23:01 AM EDT
Ok,
living around Chicago does have its perks.  I do not have my front plate on my ride, mainly because it doesn't look cool.  The car looks better without one.

never got a ticket for it either.
I am planning to see the family in Ohio comming up soon.

Do I need a front plate in Indy or in Ohio?  
I don't need to be hassled by the 'man on some lonely hwy. [BD]
c-rock
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 7:33:19 AM EDT
[#1]
The Interstate Commerce Clause (of the US Constitution) makes sure that the laws of one state are respected when travelling in and through other states, as they apply to interstate commerce.  As such, Ii only a rear plate is legal in IL (your legal state of residence and the place where the auto is registered), then that is [i]respected[/i] in any state you travel through.  However, even if the car were registered in Indiana, there is no front plate requirement.
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 7:40:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 7:54:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not a lawyer but I do play one in this post. Seriously, I just came from a visit to my family in Ohio and go there every other year at least. Ohio registered vehicles require both front and rear plates.  I have FL(drug dealer making a run north) plates on all my vehicles and am required to only have them on the rear.  Never pulled over because of that but when I was for speeding or other infraction I never had any hassle about it.  Ohio does have reciprocity agreement with Florida so as long as I'm legal in FL I'm OK.  Might want to be careful if there is reciprocity with your state.  Chances are likely that a Ohio cop won't know or care what the vehicle laws are in your state but you never know if you get stopped for something else.  Have no clue about Indy though been there with my FL plated truck once but never hassled.  Where do your kin live in OH?
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 9:12:20 AM EDT
[#4]
They outside of youngstown.
c-rock
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#5]
well, i only know about the state of texas.  of you ever come to texas, you have to have one in the back and 1 in the front. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 11:26:01 AM EDT
[#6]
It's just as SJSAMPLE said; if the car is registered and licensed in Il. and Il. does not require a front plate then no other state can require you to have a front plate. If Il. requires you to have a front plate (but no one hassles you for not displaying it) then you should have it on when you visit other states. On the otherhand, those out-of-state cops probably won't know if you should have one or not. But you could be looking at an extra out-of-state ticket or worse hassles if the cop knows.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top