Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2002 4:36:55 AM EDT
i am about to move into my RENTED duplex and i was wondering if it is illegal or not to keep firearms there? The landlord doesnt state anything about it in the lease agreement which previous landlords have specially said no weapons. So if it is ok with the land lord is it legal? in case of it being a state law im in Michigan. Thanks

Link Posted: 8/6/2002 11:32:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree with Troy. As a rental property owner, It would have to be prohibited in the lease. A couple of things to consider though, while you could posses them, there may be some gray areas of the law. For example AL allows concealed carry without a permit on property you own.  Depending on the tenants rights laws in your state you may or may not be treated the same if you rent. I also have a clause which can terminate the lease if the tennant becomes a nuisance.  I had to exercise this once for the tenants moron teenagers having BB gun fights in the front yard.  This situation probably wouldn't happen in a Duplex, but consider what might define a nuisance in your situation.
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sure I'm preaching to the chior on this one, but as a renter myself it really creeps me out to think that someone else has a key to my home, and legal rights to access it in certain situations.  Point is, make sure your guns and gun stuff (ie: guns, gun parts, mags, ammo, Ossama bin Laden targets) are locked up and or out of site.  You don't want some landlord freaking out at the sight of things that he/she is not farmiliar with, or down right scared of.

-Tex78
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one thing to say, and I relise it my not be possible for everyone, but...BUY a home! It has never been easier or cheaper than now.

It is so easy to get credit right now my cat is getting Discover card approvals in the mail.

Seriously, if you have not sat down and talked with a mortgage guy about buying a home, you need to, you might be pleasantly surprised!

Or you can keep paying rent to me and Bamaboy. [:D]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top