Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2002 2:17:03 PM EDT
What is the shortest barreled upper you can mount on a registered M16 before it becomes a short barreled rifle? Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#1]
i don't think it matters, as it's a machine gun, but i could be wrong.(just ask donr)
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:28:11 PM EDT
[#2]
On a registered machinegun the SBR rules dont apply. So the answer to your question is NEVER!
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#3]
So you are telling me that the Dept. Of Energy pistol upper on ebay last year that sold for $700.00 could have been legally mounted on my lower receiver and made into a pistol?

Or are you saying I am the biggest idiot on AR15.com?

Or all of the above? [thinking]

Quoted:
On a registered machinegun the SBR rules dont apply. So the answer to your question is NEVER!
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok if you have an NFA registered machine gun reciever there are NO restrictions on the barrel length nor are there any on the weapons OVERALL length. Now converting it into a pistol I dont know of any laws restricting that but wait around here for a bit and im sure some of the C3 guys will have an answer for that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#6]
osprey whats your sig line all about?[?]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So you are telling me that the Dept. Of Energy pistol upper on ebay last year that sold for $700.00 could have been legally mounted on my lower receiver and made into a pistol?
View Quote

The DOE upper could legally be mounted on a registered full auto M16 lower, or on a lower with a registered machinegun conversion device (lightning link or DIAS) installed.

It could also be legally mounted on a pre-ban lower receiver which has been registered as an SBR ($200 tax, law enforcement signoff, pictures and fingerprints, long wait).

It could be modified (removal of the flash suppressor and bayonet lug, if present) to mount legally on a post-ban lower receiver which has been registered as an SBR.

It could be legally mounted on a pre-ban AR-15 pistol receiver without modification.

It could be legally mounted on a post-ban AR-15 pistol, provided that the handguards and any other evil features (flash suppressor, bayonet lug, if present), and provided that the assembled pistol is either under 50oz in weight, or the magazine has been made non-detachable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top