Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2002 4:58:43 PM EDT
Sorry guys but this may sound like a stupid question but I'm still a bit of  a newbie on some of the legalities.  I've got 2 post ban ar-15 type rifles but have been acquiring "NIW" pre ban magazines (20 & 30 rounders).  Are there any dumb laws which prohibit using these mags in a post ban rifle?
Since I live in New York State I usually have to assume the worst.  Thanks.

John
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 5:56:01 AM EDT
[#2]
jjforsyth:

You MUST check your local gun laws to see any regulations from your city and state. Don't rely on the information provided by other people who live in some states (such as AZ or TX) where are gun frendly.

I live in NJ. In NJ, you are NOT allowed to use any mags which can hold more than 15 rnds in your semi-auto guns. period!!!

Link Posted: 6/14/2002 11:16:15 AM EDT
[#3]
If it's legal for you to own the mag, it's legal to put it in your rifle, pre or post ban. VA-gunnut is correct.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Hi John,

It is legal to posses and use pre94 20&30 mags in the peoples republic of New York. In a preban or postban rifle, as of today.. The new "assualt weapon" ban that was past last year mirrors federal law. But time could change that on us....

But you will get some FFL's that will swear on a stack of bibles that you can't put a hi cap mag in a post ban rifle.

Regards,
Dan Tucker
UPstate NY

Link Posted: 6/18/2002 2:49:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top