Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2002 8:43:34 AM EDT
Excuse my ignorance, but is there a law here in California that requires me to own a safe to store my firearms? I heard somebody mention requirements for guns, longarms and evil AW. I was wondering about this.

Link Posted: 4/25/2002 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Here in IL, if a child aged 14 or younger is in your home, be it family, a child's friend, ect, all firearms must be secured. That can be a cable lock or in a safe.

We might not be that far behind you.

Av.

Link Posted: 4/25/2002 8:49:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Federal law allows for the government to require FFL's to lock their pistols in a safe, and that is nationwide.  Now as far as individuals go, it would be a violation of many constitutional laws.  Mainly because enforcement would come at inspections, inspections are unreasonable searches.  Find the statute, rather than rely on hear say.

I strongly doubt an individual requirement, the Supreme Court would have been involved in that one.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#3]
since the BoR does not apply in Kali, it may or may not be true.  I do recall they were looking at the safe requirement and a tax credit for purchase.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 9:03:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Avalon:  Do you have a reference to the Illinois law?  It's the first I've heard of it, perhaps it is some city law?  

I know if you have a "liscensed" daycare in your home, the "liscensing agency" has something to say about firearms.  I'll try to find out more about the daycare thing.

Blackie.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 3:06:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Avalon:  Do you have a reference to the Illinois law?  It's the first I've heard of it, perhaps it is some city law?
View Quote

State Law

NRA (at the bottom of the page under [i]MISCELLANEOUS[/i])
[url]http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws.asp?FormMode=Detail&R=IL[/url]

From the IL State Police Website. This is a PDF titled "Illinois Gun Laws"
[url]http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ptfire.pdf[/url]

See Page 3, they bury it in the middle of the page, last sentence.

What if I leave a firearm in my vehicle (regardless of location) and a family member, without a valid
FOID card, is driving the vehicle without me and is stopped by police and the firearm is found?

The law states a person must “knowingly” violate the law. The assumption in the question is that the family
member was unaware of a firearm’s presence. However, at a traffic stop, you should expect the officer to handle
the situation at face value, take enforcement action accordingly, and let the court settle the matter. Depending
on the situation, the charge could be a Class 4 Felony. Don’t put a family member in that position.

Another reason firearms should not be left laying around — it is illegal under Illinois law for any person to store
or leave a firearm in a location accessible to a minor under the age of 14.
View Quote

Av.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 6:02:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Troy is correct (is he ever wrong? =oT)

PRK requires that all guns purchased comes with a DOJ approved and tested lock (what are they, our freaking parents?), however if you have an approved Gun safe, then you sign an affidavit stating that you have one, and your still allowed to take it. You check out next year's gun laws? Starting in 2003, PRk will start fingerprinting even for long arms. =o(
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#8]
It would be nice if they allowed the purchase of a Gun Safe as a tax write off.
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 6:12:33 PM EDT
[#9]
gunsmithdude
Troy is correct (is he ever wrong? =oT)

PRK requires that all guns purchased comes with a DOJ approved and tested lock (what are they, our freaking parents?), however if you have an approved Gun safe, then you sign an affidavit stating that you have one, and your still allowed to take it. You check out next year's gun laws? Starting in 2003, PRk will start fingerprinting even for long arms. =o(  
View Quote

I thought that in '03, they were gonna start fingerprinting to be able to buy a handgun, but I don't remember seeing anything about long guns....but then again things change so fast, its so hard to keep up....
Link Posted: 4/25/2002 6:46:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry quiksilver, but i think they are fingerprinting for ALL guns, they already fingerprint for handgun certification i think. What they are doing is computerizing the system, so that every FFL has a direct connection to the DOJ (No more phone checks for DROS/PROs) and they'res gonna be  a scanner where your driver's license is swiped through so that the information will not be misread. The form will also require a right thumbprint for the firearms (This freaking *^$@#&$ is udder madness.) It jsut gets worse and worse. And i think the DOJ is now required to check up on people with Assault weapons to make sure they are legally stored. I hope come November all that SOB anti-gun legislators get voted out (along with davis) and we get somoene who actually repeals some of this stuff. =oT
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 12:01:39 AM EDT
[#11]
No they are not currently fingerprinting for handgun purchases in California. You have to have a basic safety certificate or possess a hunting license or have a DD214 or one of several other "proofs" of safety compliance that I just can't remember right now.

I do not believe that long guns will be affected by the upcoming changes.

However next year, if you want to buy a handgun in CA you must have a handgun purchase permit. I'm pretty sure you will be photographed and fingerprinted for the license. And you must demonstrate that you know how to safely operate the weapon before you can take delivery. This will probably just be a countertop training/familiarization session with the dealer, but I don't know if the requirement details are fully sorted out yet. You will pay additional fees for the privilege of handgun purchase, comrade.

You will still have to wait 10 days from purchase to pickup. And you will still be restricted to one handgun purchase every thirty days. And safety locks will still be required. Or you can sign a statement of approved safe ownership.

Welcome to California.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 5:08:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Sorry guys, i just looked it up, and you have to provide your right thumbprint for all people picking up a firearm on the DROS form..., all firearms basically....arghh

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/infobuls/0102.pdf
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 10:33:08 AM EDT
[#13]
This is what I don't get, you get your stupid handgun card or what ever, then you still have to wait 10days. if you want to get a .22 rifle for plinkin and you own 1,000 class 3 machine guns they still make you wait. Now if you are going to commit a crime and are so pissed off are you going to buy another gun or just use the other you have? the law does nothing but jerk us gun owners around.
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 12:03:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Not that I agree with the fingerprinting requirement, in fact I think it is one of the worst invasions of privacy out there, but back to the thumbprint thing, PRK residents that have a drivers license or ID card had to submit a thumbprint at the DMV office. So basically the Kal State Government alreay has it in their database......
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 6:28:57 PM EDT
[#15]
You got fingerprinted for drivers license? I have never been fingerprinted in my life except as a baby. When did you get your license? I got mine like 5 years ago, and they did not ask for any prints. =oT
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I got mine back in the mid 90's and they require you to give a thumbprint. Its not a literal "print" with ink, but you have to touch your thumb to a plastic pad that takes a digital image of it.  I don't know of anyone that hasn't had to do it. Can someone else chime in on this and confirm what I'm saying.... otherwise this whole thing must be one bad dream.........[whacko]
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:23:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Sad but true about the thumbprint on the drivers
license.A long time ago,it was required,then
discontinued,then reinstated.The reason was...
you guessed it,to help stop crime!!I read somewhere that the state doesn't have the re-
sources(money,time,manpower) to check all the prints in the database anyway.There are probably
more people with one or more drivers licenses
than you could believe!
Doug
Link Posted: 4/26/2002 9:27:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Everyone should have at least one anyway.  It sucks that someone tells you that you HAVE TO have one though.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 1:06:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Excuse my ignorance, but is there a law here in California that requires me to own a safe to store my firearms?...
View Quote

No.

There is a Child Access Prevention law, which makes you prosecutable if you store a firearm in a negligent manner (judged case-by-case) and someone under 18 (or is it 16?) gets hold of it and injures or kills someone with it.

But there are many benefits to owning safes.  Besides the tax deduction you MAY be able to take for it (if you use to store your financial records - see your tax advisor for more info), in Californistan your ownership of certain kinds of safes can exempt you from having to buy a stupid, useless trigger lock with every firearm you buy.  Unless you live in a city like San Diego that makes you buy the stupid, useless trigger lock anyway.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 2:08:32 PM EDT
[#20]
heh, I must have gotten my license when the fingerprinting was not required. What impeccable timing.
Sigh, so have any of you tried out the FAB-10s? Im waiting for mine to come in, and can't wait. Hopefully it'll go well with the bushy upper. I've also found some FAL's that have a fixed magazine, loaded in through the top with stripper clips. And the nice thing is that unlike the FAB, the magazine isn't permanently welded but instead held in place with an allen screw. So im guessing if you ever leave PRK you can pop in 20 rounders again. Downside? Huge hole on the top so that you can feed in rounds. Looks funny.
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 2:59:01 PM EDT
[#21]
So not only do you have the highest number of dregs on American society, but you are required to give prints, which invade privacy?  Now for the first time, I understand the "PRK" thing.  You guys live in the most fucked up state in the nation.  New York City laws pale in comparison to your asshole state.  

For Gods sake, move out!  
Link Posted: 4/27/2002 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#22]
haha, Ill move out if i can bring the beach and the great weather with me. It's spring 365 days  a year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top