Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2010 6:31:50 PM EDT
for the next 5 weeks its been 1 week today and IM JUST ABOUT TO LOSE IT!
HTF do you do this? anybody done this and how did you not go crazy?

its due to a dislocation and fracture

eta all the K-Y threads arent making it any easier to remain pain free either
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I likely have a rotator cuff repair in my future, I do not look forward to it.
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it your dominant arm? I had to have mine immobilized for about the same time after having rotator cuff surgery. It sucks and there is nothing that  will change that. The only thing that helped me was that the pain was so sever if I moved my arm I was happy not to. Ask to see if you can remove the belly strap for short times, I did and it felt good.
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 6:36:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

for the next 5 weeks its been 1 week today and
IM JUST ABOUT TO LOSE IT!

HTF do you do this? anybody done this and how did you not go crazy?

its due to a dislocation and fracture

eta all the K-Y threads arent making it any easier to remain pain free either

So now we know how it happened.

Link Posted: 2/3/2010 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#4]
If its on your dominant hand side, just think of all the 'strange' you'll be getting for the next several weeks!

Seriously, I had the same deal for 9 weeks last Spring from a pec tear/repair. It sucked big time and, like all ordeals, IT WILL PASS.

How do you think my post count got so high?

Good luck...remember it will end.
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

after having rotator cuff surgery....................

Was the end result worth it.  Range of motion improvement?

Link Posted: 2/3/2010 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I know how you feel. I had a 3 hr shoulder surgery this morning. Lucky for me it is not my dom. arm but 1 handed typing is no fun.
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Dude, been there 3... yes.... 3 times.  good luck. The worst is the itching from the sticky shit that they leave on your arm and then the bruising. Only advice is take the meds and sleep on the couch.

ETA: dominent arm. It got to a point where if I moved my arm in any manner, it would dislocate. Arthritis is a bitch!!  Had the first at age 23, second at 26, and third last spring at age 29.
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#8]
not my dominant arm but that one was dislocated too and its only about 60% usable there just wasnt much damage in it only some streched parts
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#9]
This is my second on same arm. First was back in 99 and the block wore off in 7 hrs. Thankfully it"s workin good this time and have good meds. I think maybe we need a gimp section for us cause this took about 3 min. to type.
Edit: and to make a not fun day really suck, I came home and my mans best friend had passed. RIP Aspen.
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh yea, If they gave you one of those Cryo-Cuff Ice packs, use it. I lived in mine.

Dave, who did your's. the reason I ask is, the doc. that did my 2nd moved to AR shortly after I had it done. Her name was someting like Krishna Mallak IIRC.
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 7:05:35 PM EDT
[#11]
My wife broke both shoulders last spring and had to have BOTH arms immobilized for a month. I don't even want to think about the things I had to do for her. Be glad its only one.
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Oh yea, If they gave you one of those Cryo-Cuff Ice packs, use it. I lived in mine.

Dave, who did your's. the reason I ask is, the doc. that did my 2nd moved to AR shortly after I had it done. Her name was someting like Krishna Mallak IIRC.

thats not him i cant remember his name the percocets are kicking in
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 7:07:00 PM EDT
[#13]
IF YOU'RE HAPPY AND YOU KNOW IT...

Wait! NVM!
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Can you use an 'Ice Man'?
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

after having rotator cuff surgery....................

Was the end result worth it.  Range of motion improvement?

Never really had range of motion problems as much as strength issues when pulling back on a bow. I had not only a tear, but a dozen or so bone spurs as well as the tendon pulled out of place. I regained full range after about 1 month of PT. The first week after you will wish you were dead though. Had it done last May we'll see when I start to practice for bow later this year.

Link Posted: 2/3/2010 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Ice machine.

Good drugs.

Comfortable chair/ couch.

Good wife.

That is all you need to survive.
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#17]
So...no shoulder thing that goes up?

Just kidding get well soon.
Link Posted: 2/3/2010 10:22:00 PM EDT
[#18]
percocets wore off so now i'm awake, is ice better than heat?
Link Posted: 2/4/2010 4:08:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes, usually, unless your doc specifically wants you to alternate ice/heat.

Call him, ask.

Look into an Ice Man.  It pumps icewater through a pad that you strap to the afflicted pieces/part from a cooler.

Link Posted: 2/4/2010 5:12:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I likely have a rotator cuff repair in my future, I do not look forward to it.

And you won't enjoy life much for a few weeks following your "procedure" either.  Sorry...just the troof.
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 10:23:53 PM EDT
[#21]
3 1/2 more weeks till freedom

Link Posted: 2/13/2010 10:40:05 PM EDT
[#22]
I've had two ugly shoulder surgeries. One to repair the socket and muscles due to multiple (stopped counting when it hit 30 or so) dislocations. They did a Bankhart procedure in '98, and then I had to have my bicep tendon reattached in 2008.

The one thing I found to help with relaxation is to buy a beanbag. The kind that kids will sit on while on the floor. Put in you bed and use it for a pillow. It will form to your upper body, and help support the back of your shoulder. If at all possible, move the arm a little bit. Under no circumstances do you want the muscles to atrophy. The only thing worse than rehab, is rehabbing while you can actually hear your muscles pop.

Good luck man.
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 10:52:03 PM EDT
[#23]
I had my right arm in a brace for 14 weeks. Then I couldnt palm up or curl my own arms wieght for another 4 weeks. I'm still not even 50% after a year of working it evert day.
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Well dude, you're through the worst of it. I wore the same type of sling for four weeks(the one with the big, fat pad and a waist strap)after having a labrral repair back in September. I kept myself busy doing odd chores around the house. I spring cleaned one handed (although that aggravated the other arm––Doh!), sorted through several thousand rounds of brass, went through all my survival/ALICE/camping gear, and inventoried all my ammo (and all my dad's, too). I put 3,000 rounds of .223 on strippers, detailed the interiors of two cars (albeit very slowly) and did a lot of online research on food storage. Not to mention, I amassed a prodigious post count on ARFCOM (1,500+ posts in six months of being out of work). Actually, if not for having this site, I would've went absolutely crazy. I also bought a few new guns, tinkered with several ARs, and stocked up on mags and accessories.

I cheated while I was in the sling. First, after the first week, I took it off before I got in the shower, and would leave it off for an hour or so while I was getting dressed. The doc gave me a list of exercises to do at home, and I pushed them to the limit. I would also remove the shoulder strap whenever I was sitting and had support on the forearm, although that may not be advisable in your case. While getting dressed, I tweaked the shoulder a few times, and that bitch throbbed all day. By the fourth week, I would wake up sleeping on my stomach, on top of the arm, and the arm would be popped out of the sling. So I just started sleeping without the shoulder strap on.

I was supposed to wear the sling for six to eight weeks. After four full weeks, the doc said I was ready to get out of it permanently and begin physical therapy––that's where the real pain begins! After 10 weeks of intensive PT, I was able to return to full capacity with no restrictions. I was doing pullups again after 8 weeks in PT. It's now been five months since surgery and the only thing I can't do are palms-forward pull-ups. Dips, bench, shoulder press (that hurts a bit, but doable), and chin-ups are all possible. I still have some discrepancies muscle-size-wise on the left side, but strength is 75%+ what is was prior to surgery. My only range of motion limitation is reaching behind me, like when grabbing the seat belt from a car's B pillar. I don't even notice it.

Here's to wishing you a full recovery!
Link Posted: 2/13/2010 11:10:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

This is excellent advice, follow it.  I lived in mine too after rotator cuff surgery and especially before and after physical rehab. Don't ever go more than an hour without using it.

Link Posted: 3/6/2010 12:40:12 AM EDT
[#26]
5 days until freedom then maybe i can quit using the recliner for a bedroom
shoulders still hurt but i'm optimistic

eta: 8.8 post per day since this started
my avg is 1.4, glad theres an ARFCOM at 3AM
Link Posted: 3/6/2010 1:12:40 AM EDT
[#27]
I feel your pain, I've had two shoulder reconstuctive surgeries on the same shoulder. The hardest part in my mind is trying to sleep! What helped me was a nice chair to recline in and straighten the arm while keeping the shoulder stabilized. That helped me, as well as starting my physical therapy a little early(and often). Good luck! This too shall pass
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 9:58:12 PM EDT
[#28]
freedom comes tomorrow, now the rehab starts

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top