Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2002 6:49:32 AM EDT
[url]http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/miami/sfl-dchanges06mar06.story?coll=sfla%2Dnews%2Dmiami[/url]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 6:57:24 AM EDT
[#1]
F**king ridiculous.

CJ
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:00:46 AM EDT
[#2]
[b]But the weapons soon came under fire when a rash of accidental police shootings showed the hypersensitivity of the weapon's trigger.[/b]

Hypersensitivity?  How did the gun go off when your trigger finger was outside the trigger guard where it's supposed to be?

Poor training means the police shouldn't be trusted with grown-up things,  IMHO.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:04:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I love this quote:

"A gun that fires a bullet that can rarely, if ever, be matched to the gun is more suited for a terrorist or an assassin than for police officers," Tiffany Singleton said.

Idiots!

Now the cops have this BS to put up with:

Now officers are only allowed to shoot at suspects who are armed and pose a "serious imminent danger" to the officer or another person, said Deputy Chief Bobby.

WTF is "serious imminent danger"?.

Spambo
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:12:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Now officers are only allowed to shoot at suspects who are armed and pose a "serious imminent danger" to the officer or another person, said Deputy Chief Bobby.

Spambo
View Quote

The better question might be [b]WTF were they allowed to shoot at before????[/b]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:20:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spambo
View Quote

The better question might be [b]WTF were they allowed to shoot at before????[/b]
View Quote

EXACTLY
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:26:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:26:32 AM EDT
[#7]
"But the weapons soon came under fire when a rash of accidental police shootings showed the hypersensitivity of the weapon's trigger."

not meant as a flame, but compared to my 1911's. the glocks i've shot have triggers that feel like they could support a cement block.

hypersensitivity? huh?
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:27:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:28:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
"But the weapons soon came under fire when a rash of accidental police shootings showed the hypersensitivity of the weapon's trigger."

View Quote

Yea, my S&W Sigma has a hair trigger too...[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:36:47 AM EDT
[#10]
News USA

Police Officers new Tools,

Fallowing a rash of accidental shootings of inocent civillians by coffe shop camandos it has been found that the cause of these tragedies is the weapons themselves, the deadly and dangerous baby killing automatic AK assault Glock 17. These weapons will randomly load and cock themselves and have been known to attack passer-bys if left un chained. Cops are now banned from carrying these death traps and instead will be instructed to take classes in diversity managment, confrontaional awareness, and reverse phycology instead of weapons. As a last resort, and with special clearence from washington some LEO's will be allowed to carry peper spray.

[comercial] Come to the Florida police auction, 350 mint Glock 17s with preban mags, along with 100s of other confinscated weapons at rock bottom prices. Also why pay all that money for a new BMW when you can come buy one of ours for half the price just becuase Janet Reno raped Rosie O'Donell in the back seat.

[;)] I don't know what's gotten into me, I'm on a cynical sarcastic kinda bent today
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:46:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:50:37 AM EDT
[#12]
ONLY pre-ban rocks, even those will have to be registered.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:59:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I also found the following hard to believe:

Singleton was fleeing police in a stolen Jeep the night he died during a chaotic scene in Overtown. There was no way to know who killed him because the bullets fired by Glocks tend to not leave much of a signature, or markings created when a bullet squeezes through a gun barrel.

The Singleton shooting was not the first time the Police Department learned of problems with the Glocks. A series of similar shootings in the '90s had led Miami police officials to ask Glock to modify the pistol barrel by adding grooves that would make each gun unique and traceable, said Assistant Chief Noel Rojas.

Though the changes were made, the grooves eventually wore away. Ten new barrels are currently being tested for durability at a police firing range.
View Quote

This is the first I have ever heard of this.  Is there any truth to this?  Or is this one (police) ignoramus giving spin to another (reporter) ignoramus.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:49:19 AM EDT
[#14]
[b]Anyone[/b] beside me actually believe that forensic experts can't tell the difference?

[b]Anyone[/b] believe that officers with the modified Glock barrels(?) actually shot them out to the point where the question above would apply?

[b]Anyone[/b] but me believe something smells really bad w/ this story?

Mike
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#15]
The Glock issues aside, I have a problem with police using deadly force on fleeing criminals where the crime does not warrant deadly force.  Someone convicted of car theft would not normally receive a death sentence, so shooting the car thief in the back seems like excessive force to me.

On a related note, I also have a problem with FBI agents shooting innocent people in the side of the face.  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 9:04:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I love this quote:

"A gun that fires a bullet that can rarely, if ever, be matched to the gun is more suited for a terrorist or an assassin than for police officers," Tiffany Singleton said.

Idiots!

View Quote

Show some sensitivity... She lost a brother [>(]
Oh WAIT he was running from the police.. Never Mind. [}:D]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 9:18:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
[b]Anyone[/b] beside me actually believe that forensic experts can't tell the difference?

[b]Anyone[/b] believe that officers with the modified Glock barrels(?) actually shot them out to the point where the question above would apply?

[b]Anyone[/b] but me believe something smells really bad w/ this story?

Mike
View Quote

I agree.  Sounds like another witch hunt to me.  

Wouldn't it stand to reason that if you shot any barrel enough that the rifling had been worn away that rifling marks would not show up on the bullet?
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 9:24:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 9:33:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
News USA

Police Officers new Tools,

Fallowing a rash of accidental shootings of inocent civillians by coffe shop camandos it has been found that the cause of these tragedies is the weapons themselves, the deadly and dangerous baby killing automatic AK assault Glock 17. These weapons will randomly load and cock themselves and have been known to attack passer-bys if left un chained. Cops are now banned from carrying these death traps and instead will be instructed to take classes in diversity managment, confrontaional awareness, and reverse phycology instead of weapons. As a last resort, and with special clearence from washington some LEO's will be allowed to carry peper spray.

[comercial] Come to the Florida police auction, 350 mint Glock 17s with preban mags, along with 100s of other confinscated weapons at rock bottom prices. Also why pay all that money for a new BMW when you can come buy one of ours for half the price just becuase[b]Janet Reno raped Rosie O'Donell[/b] in the back seat.

[;)] I don't know what's gotten into me, I'm on a cynical sarcastic kinda bent today
View Quote

I'm pretty sure it was consensual....
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 9:43:41 AM EDT
[#20]
So that's why cops use Glocks. I thought it was because they were cheap. Ya learn something every day.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 11:51:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Here's my letter to the editor.  Doubt it will make the paper, but it was worth a shot:

I must say that I am apalled at the inaccuracies in a recent article "
Miami police tighten rules on when to shoot.

Let's begin with the rifling "problem."  All barrels will leave marks on the bullet.  If they don't, then the barrel is not doing its job of stabilizing the bullet, thus causing inaccuracy (is this perhaps why so many bullets are fired at suspects and so few rounds hit their mark?).  Glocks are designed to be VERY accurate guns IF the shooter does his/her job of practicing with it enough to become an accurate shooter.

Second is the "hypersensitivity" of the trigger.  Nonsense!  It's called firearm safety!  One of the rules of firearm safety is "keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot."  The sudden rash of shootings when Glocks were introduced wasn't the gun's fault.  The officers weren't given enough training to become familiar with it.  If the officers had been properly trained, then they wouldn't have had their finger on the trigger until they intended to shoot, thus avoiding any so-called hypersensitivity of the trigger.

Quit blaming the gun for the people's mistakes.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top