Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2002 11:12:19 PM EDT
I was all set to go in without shaving the past 3 days, wearing black bdus, and carrying the Ultimate Sniper book.  Then this happened:

[b]Your service is not needed today; therefore, your jury duty is completed. You do not need to report; you do not need to check this website any further. Your jury duty is completed and thank you for serving.[/b]

I feel that I fulfilled my civic responsibility.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 11:46:13 PM EDT
[#1]
[Tin Foil Hat]
[shock] [B]LOOK OUT!!!![/B] your house is wired, they know your every move and every thought even before you think it!!!

They [B]knew[/B] you were going to wear that outfit!

They [B]knew[/B] you were going to bring that book!

[B]AND[/B] they also [B]know[/B] about your .38 and 10/22!!!

[B]THATS ALL[/B] or is it?????

Bwaaaa Haaaa Haaaaa Haaaaa [devil]
[/Tin Foil Hat]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 11:48:28 PM EDT
[#2]
To be properly prepared, you also shouldn't have bathed for the last three days.

(And, of course, take along plenty of [url=http://www.fija.org/torf.pdf]True or False?[/url] brochures.)
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 1:07:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 3:43:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Why did you want out of jury duty?  That is your chance to make a difference.  When peaple like you think they are to important for jury duty it leaves the spot open for some no nothing welfare crack head who has never read the constitution in your seat.  

Want to know why the country is so screwed up?  Smart people avoiding jury duty is part of it.  A lot of things get decided in a Jury room.  Next time your number is called I wouldn't be so quick to try and get out of it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:04:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:09:47 AM EDT
[#6]
You might have gotten to sit beside some [b]womenz![/b]

[:D]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:39:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Six years ago I was the last person picked to sit on a jury. It was very interesting. I've always liked that stuff anyway.

So we hung the guy. Well, figurativly anyway. Sent him to the Penn.

I have yet to get another summons. [:(]

I figure I've got an easy out if I want, too.

"Yes sir, I've been on a jury before." "A criminal case." "We found the defendant guilty. That was so much fun I can't wait to do it again."  [}:D]

It is a citizens civic DUTY to sit on a jury when called. I can't imagine a reason why I would refuse. But I do have a way out if I want. [:D]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 10:42:26 AM EDT
[#9]
They email you when you have jury Duty??

What is this about a website????

I am confused!
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I've always heard the best way to get out of it was to answer "NO" when they asked you if you know the defendant.

Then point at the court recorder and say [b]"But that sonofabitch right there looks guilty as hell to me...."[/b]

Works every time...  [:D]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 11:36:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I've always wanted to use jury nullification.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 5:00:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I didn't want out of jury duty!
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 5:15:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Stubbs beat me to it...
What?!? No chance at Jury Nullification?  How disappointing...

Someday, I'd love to hear a defense attorney ('cuz it sure won't come from the judge or the prosecutor) remind the jury that they are there to judge both the facts of the case, AND the law itself...

Oh well.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 5:32:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 5:36:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm sorry, Judge Aimless, I don't care what the cops say they found, I just don't believe that such a nice-looking young man would have ever been out smoking a joint in the middle of a college frat party."
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 5:43:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 5:45:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm not talking about ignoring the facts of the case... of course the Kalifornia resident used the unregistered AR-15 to shoot the 300-lb. man trying to rape and possibly kill her!

I'm talking about the law itself... she has the unalienable right to self-defense and the right to keep and bear arms, so the law prohibitting her possession of the weapon, as enacted, is unconstitutional and I'm not going to vote for a conviction under it.

A juror's NOT GUILTY vote is not subject to review, and no matter how pissed the judge and DA are, it is still the juror's vote. Period.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 5:52:38 PM EDT
[#18]
You really want to be on jury duty unless its going to cost you a paycheck.  Let me give you an example of what I'm talking about:

About 10 years ago I got picked for a murder 2 case in Florida.  A SOB got mad one evening because a man with a pickup truck was dropping off some Jr. High kids after a football game.  The boys made a little too much noise.  The guy comes out of his house and get into an argument with the truck driver.  With no threats or anything the guy takes out his pistol and shoots the driver right between the eyes.

The guy hires a big time lawyer.  I was on a six  person jury and was picked to be the foreman.  The lawyer argued that his guy was only guilty of assault.  The difference between the two convictions being life or seven years in jail.

After a three day trial we had our first vote.  The other five jurors voted for the lesser charge.  I couldn't belive it.  They were going to let this guy off.  They believed the liberal horseshit the lawyer gave them.  He was a "victim" of noisy teenagers.  That gave him the right to kill the guy?

It took me two days of stubbornness and hard talking to turn the jury around.  I finally got all five to agree to send the asshole to jail for a long time.

We can't turn the courts over to the liberals.  We need to be a part of the process so we can influence the outcome.  Remember that OJ got off the hook because of weak jurors.

Conservatives should be part of the process.
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 6:52:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Jury Duty.

been there, done that - I don't mind but YES it can be really screwed up!!

I was on the jury of a case involving drug sales.

To make a long story short, 11 of us said guilty and 1 couldn't convict the guy....

She couldn't even explain why, had no logical reason NOT EVEn an emotional reason just that she "couldn't convict him".

It really pissed off a lot of the jurors as many of us thought she was biased, i could go on.....
Link Posted: 3/8/2002 7:51:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
To make a long story short, 11 of us said guilty and 1 couldn't convict the guy....

She couldn't even explain why, had no logical reason NOT EVEn an emotional reason just that she "couldn't convict him".

View Quote

Maybe she was acting on here rights as a juror to nullify the law. Not everybody believes there should be laws against (Your crime here).
When you DO nullify a law, the best thing you can do is shut your mouth about why you aren't convicting.
Link Posted: 3/9/2002 12:48:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Why did you want out of jury duty?  That is your chance to make a difference.  When peaple like you think they are to important for jury duty it leaves the spot open for some no nothing welfare crack head who has never read the constitution in your seat.
View Quote
He wasn't trying to get out of jury duty.  What happened is that the trial he was scheduled to serve on was cancelled or rescheduled or whatever.  Since there wasn't a trial to serve on they informed him that he didn't need to show for selection and that his duty was completed.

The same thing happened to me several months ago.  I was looking forward to serving on a jury only to find out the day before selection that the trial was cancelled.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top