Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2002 8:07:38 PM EDT
You won't believe this!!!  I tried to send out an AR15 upper today using a "Mail Boxes Etc." store

I took the upper into the store with it inside a gunsock. I told the lady(owner) that I needed this item shipped and needed a price estimate first.  When she asked what it was I stated it was "machine parts".  She persisted for more info so I told her it was a replacement barrel for a firearm.  She asked to see it and agreed that yes it was just a barrel, obviously not a complete firearm.  She then stated that she didn't think she could ship it due to a UPS rule against shipping firearms person to person.[:(!]  I told her that I disagreed and asked her to call UPS asking for clarification.

She was more than happy to call UPS and if it was okay with them then she would ship it for me. Well, when I got hold of the UPS support desk I was repeatedly asked if I was a firearms dealer and if I was sending it to another firearms dealer. I stated "no" I was shipping person to person.  Then I was asked what type of firearm was it, a pistol or a rifle.  I stated it was neither, it was a barrel only just a rifle part not the registered part of a firearm.  The UPS lady then told me that UPS considers any firearm part the same as a full firearm and that they would not allow me to ship it unless it was dealer to dealer[:(!][:(!]!!!

I then ask her if this was a new policy....she stated "no".  I asked her how long had this policy had been in effect and she stated she could not give me that information!!!  I then proceeded to tell her that I have many, many times shipped and received firearm parts direct to my door via UPS from firearm parts manufactures and person to person.  She stated that was not possible unless the company sending the items mislead the driver whom received the package.

Am I wrong here or is this something that has always been going on??  I ask because Tapco and other people/places have shipped to my door via UPS over the last year alone!!

Needless to say, I still need to send this upper out to the guy that bought it from me via this board.  So tomorrow I will just package it at home first and take it to the USPS and call it machine parts and leave it at that!!

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you got some dumb desk jockey.  I have a feeling this lady was just spouting what her computer told her when she punched in 'firearms shipping'.  

I will ask my buddy tomorrow if he knows anything new.  He delivered me parts yesterday with no problems.
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Can't say I sympathize with you, it wasn't the brightest move letting morons in on what you were shipping.  Sounds like you went in looking for a fight and you got one and you lost.  Now tuck your tail between your legs, throw on a hat and bring it back BOXED tomorrow.  

Unless you were standing in front of the knowledgable UPS MAN (not woman), there would be no way for them to allow you to send it.  

Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:18:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats wierd dude....Several weeks ago i shipped an upper receiver group to arizona to have some work done to it.  I shipped it ups.  They asked what it was and i told them it was a barrel for a rifle.   No problems......
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:23:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Have them call Bushmaster, then, and ask them why they ship all their PARTS to INDIVIDUALS who are NOT DEALERS via UPS, every day?

Dumbasses!   The world is full of dumbasses!  And you will probably have to deal with at least one of them TODAY!

CJ
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:32:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Complete rifles or a registered lower must go to an FFL...
You can ship person to FFL for either long guns or hand guns... Only difference is, hand guns MUST be shipped Overnight with "special handling" for security reasons...

Parts are nothing more than parts...

USPS never asks me what I'm shipping, nor am I required to tell them...
When I use UPS, I just tell them I'm shipping "CAR" parts [:D] Get it ?
You're not really lying if you tell them that right ?

I shipped a complete rifle via UPS about a month ago, and the lady at the counter was very cool about it...
She just said she hoped I had the FFL info, otherwise it might be a problem...
I had the ink signed FFL, and the rifle shipped regular UPS ground with no problem...

Sounds to me like you got the wrong person on the phone...
Next time just "bend" the truth a little... remember: CAR parts [:D]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:36:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I think that they place more restrictions on items dropped off at a
Mail Boxes Etc type place.

edited to add:
...not that I care [:D]
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:45:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Or, it might be the local manager's policy.  Where I live, the UPS counter has a no firearm or firearm part policy.  Officially, the company policy is that they will ship parts between any two parties, but the local dictators are free to make their own rules.  This made it a complete pain in the neck to send my Kel-Tec back for repair.  Because, UPS no longer accepts firearms from third-party shippers, like Mailboxes, Etc., using them was a no go.  Also, it's UPS's corporate policy to not pick-up firearms on a one-time pickup.  So, you have to find someone with a regular UPS account with daily pickup.  Frustrating, and even more frustrating considering I paid $35 to ship a small box.  I'd quote their regs, but it appears they've removed the search from their web site again.z
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 8:50:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Can't say I sympathize with you, it wasn't the brightest move letting morons in on what you were shipping.  Sounds like you went in looking for a fight and you got one and you lost.  Now tuck your tail between your legs, throw on a hat and bring it back BOXED tomorrow.  

View Quote

You don't know me very well, so I will be nice.  I wasn't looking for a fight and if you read my post completely you would have seen that the counter lady/owner was willing to follow whatever the UPS policy was.

What I am shipping should be irrellivant.  I am a legal gunowner who follows the law.  I just refuse to be treated like a criminal when I am doing nothing wrong.

So you can put your tail between your legs if you want but I will continue to walk like a man thank you very much.

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:10:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

You don't know me very well, so I will be nice.  I wasn't looking for a fight and if you read my post completely you would have seen that the counter lady/owner was willing to follow whatever the UPS policy was.

What I am shipping should be irrellivant.  I am a legal gunowner who follows the law.  I just refuse to be treated like a criminal when I am doing nothing wrong.

So you can put your tail between your legs if you want but I will continue to walk like a man thank you very much.

Sgtar15
View Quote

[:D]   Is there a man around I could talk to?

Link Posted: 3/5/2002 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#10]
sgtar15, i stand with you dont take this as hacking ,but i ordered a complete upper kit last week ,COD and got it in the next day FEDX and had zero!!! problems!!and paid cash!!ship it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2002 10:16:02 PM EDT
[#11]
When I ship barrels or uppers and they ask me what it is...I always say...metal tubing.  The funny part is when I get the insurance and I say something like $400 (for an upper) and the clerk says...wow, what type of metal tubing is that.  I look her in the eye and say it is an expensive one.

just my two cents
medcop

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top