Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2002 10:39:45 PM EDT
Being the designated gunsmith I was told to install a scope on a rifle using Badger Ordnance Rings. No problem I thought as I have done this many other times with Leupolds and MWGs. Well, I correctly situated the scope in the rings and I got out the T-handle torque wrench (set to 65 inch lbs). The front went on without incident, but when I was tightening the rear ring to the base I hear a *crack* and all of a sudden the clamp breaks in half horizontally. I don't even think I got close to 50 inch lbs before this happened.

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Imbroglio%2Fbadger%2Ejpg[/img]

Anyone know what the deal is? Is Badger's customer service any good?
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 11:16:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:30:53 AM EDT
[#2]
What did those rings set you back($)?

I guess all of that repressed sexual energy from not gettin any womenz had to get out some how you ring bustin' stud!

Take a look at the other ring to see if there is a flaw or an overcut from the milling process that got overlooked from QC. Everything else being the same from ring to ring, this is where I would start.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#3]
It will be a cold day in hell when I am able to afford a set of $160 scope rings. I just know the guy I am installing the scope for is going to scream and yell at me for this mess.

The other ring is ok, but looking closely at the clamp, I can see there MAYBE a weakness in the design itself. The amount of metal under the tightening nut is thinner than that of the Leupold Mark 4's and MWG rings. Then again it could have been a bad heat treat or something.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 11:38:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Lol!!  I cannot believe you actually broke a badger ordinance scope ring.  I bought a set to complement a rifle I was customizing and those rings are like bank vaults.  Hahaha, yes, God hates you Imbroglio.

I met the guys at the SHOT show and they were nice so I'm sure you'll get a replacement.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I screwed up on my Leupold Mark IV's using a torque wrench.  I didn't realize I had hit the 5 lbs-ft (60 lbs-in) limit.  (didn't notice the click)

I torqued them to probably 4X the limit.

Pulled the bolts tighter, but nothing broke.
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#6]
In many cultures, the crafters, weavers, potters, will intentionaly include a mistake so the Gods will not be offended. Now you know the guys at Badger aren't athiests.

Can you take extreme close-ups of the fracture surfaces and the edges from the bottom and inner persective of the broken part?

If you don't have a camera, you might get decent results from laying the parts on a scanner and imaging the part under high resolution.

Link Posted: 3/2/2002 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Badger makes the best rings on the planet.  Give them a call and they will send you another claw.  They are great do deal with.  I did the same thing but because I was an idiot I did 65 ft lbs. :) bad idea.  Anyway, they sent me two new claws (only one broke before I quit) priority mail for free.

I would also give another torque rench a try.  Something that has more than just the one setting.  Its pretty easy to tell when they're tight enough.  In over 500 round out of my 308 my scope hasnt moved a bit.

Did I mention that I bought the rings second hand?
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 3:11:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I had the exact same thing happen, except the torque wrench was at 57 inch lbs.  Since I had red loctited the nut, it wasn't going to come back off, so I just sent it back to Badger.  They sent the exact same rings back with another bracket.
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It will be a cold day in hell when I am able to afford a set of $160 scope rings. I just know the guy I am installing the scope for is going to scream and yell at me for this mess.

The other ring is ok, but looking closely at the clamp, I can see there MAYBE a weakness in the design itself. The amount of metal under the tightening nut is thinner than that of the Leupold Mark 4's and MWG rings. Then again it could have been a bad heat treat or something.
View Quote

So in your professional "gunsmith" opinion would you recommend the ARMS #22 rings for a 700(P)?
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Imbro,
Marty at Badger Ordnance asked for your email address, I gave him the addy in your profile.  How did it work out?
Link Posted: 3/31/2002 10:29:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Being the designated gunsmith ... Well, I correctly situated the scope in the rings and I got out the T-handle torque wrench (set to 65 inch lbs). ... I don't even think I got close to 50 inch lbs before this happened.
View Quote

65?????

Sounds like you were a bit high.

See link.

[url]http://216.219.200.59/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000155[/url]

Good luck
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 4:54:41 AM EDT
[#12]
No, I don't think he was.

These look virtually identical to the Leupold Mark IV rings, so I'll go out on a limb and assume they use the same torque.

According to Leupold:

[b]What Torque Value Should I Use on Mark IV Rings?[/b]

[i]The Leupold Mark IV Torque Wrench is designed to deliver the proper torque value of [b]65 inch pounds[/b] when installing the Mark IV rings for return-to-zero accuracy.[/i]

Mark IV Ring Torque Wrench part number: 48701
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 12:59:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Actually, it says right on the Badger box to use 65 inch pounds.
Link Posted: 4/1/2002 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I sent the rings back a couple weeks ago and received them back with replacement claws last thursday. The parts aren't parkerized, but blued. Oh well, they torqued on to 65 in lbs just fine this time. I guess all that matters is that that the guy is happy with this setup now.

Link Posted: 4/1/2002 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So in your professional "gunsmith" opinion would you recommend the ARMS #22 rings for a 700(P)?
View Quote

There are 2 issues that I have run into with ARMS rings.

1) They do not fit on all weaver type rails. Sometimes they are loose, sometimes you can't even swing the lever into full lock position. I am not sure but they may be calibrated to picatinny specs.

2) The rings run higher than "standard". For example low=medium, medium=high, high=super high.

Link Posted: 4/1/2002 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

There are 2 issues that I have run into with ARMS rings.

1) They do not fit on all weaver type rails. Sometimes they are loose, sometimes you can't even swing the lever into full lock position. I am not sure but they may be calibrated to picatinny specs.

2) The rings run higher than "standard". For example low=medium, medium=high, high=super high.

View Quote

Well, guess I really don't need "throw levers" on a 700(P) anyways.  Just an option I was considering.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top