Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2002 7:38:51 PM EDT
Evangelist Blames Jews on 1972 Tape
Fri Mar 1, 5:03 PM ET
By DARLENE SUPERVILLE, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) - Thirty years ago, the Rev. Billy Graham said a Jewish "stranglehold" of the media was ruining the country and must be broken, according to a newly released tape of a 1972 conversation between the famous evangelist and President Nixon.

The conversation was among 500 hours of Nixon tapes released by the National Archives. Most were recorded between January and June 1972.

In the conversation, Graham expressed disdain for what he saw as Jewish domination of the media.

"This stranglehold has got to be broken or this country's going down the drain," Graham said, agreeing with Nixon's own comments earlier in the conversation.

"You believe that?" Nixon says in response.

"Yes, sir," says Graham.

"Oh boy. So do I," Nixon agrees, then says: "I can't ever say that but I believe it."

"No, but if you get elected a second time, then we might be able to do something," Graham says, reassuring the president.

Graham, 83, has been in frail health for years. His Texas public relations firm said Friday that it had no immediate comment.

The friendship between Graham and the president began during the Eisenhower administration, when Nixon was vice president.

At a later point in the conversation, when Nixon raises the subject of Jewish influence in Hollywood and the media, Graham says, "A lot of Jews are great friends of mine."

"They swarm around me and are friendly to me. Because they know that I am friendly to Israel and so forth. But they don't know how I really feel about what they're doing to this country, and I have no power and no way to handle them," Graham says.

Nixon says: "You must not let them know."

Link Posted: 3/1/2002 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#1]
And people wonder why Israel seems so ungrateful at times??  They have too much experience being LIED to by people like this...
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Graham is an idiot.  Nixon was an idiot.
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 8:51:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Somehow I thought you'd post this :)

Listen, this isn't really news. Do you have any idea how many stories have been written about Nixon's anti-semitism? Not a year goes by that I don't see one. And jews that worked for him defend him on it (I guess some kind of loyalty or something). Today's columnists are still obsessed with the guy, and he's dead. Some of them were on Nixon's blacklist (which nothing ever came of like most of his venting). The media just llloooovvvveess to rehash Nixon. No President had a worse relationship with them (50s,60s and 70s). And there is nothing surprising about that conversation. Nixon and Graham were reflecting a popular sentiment and perception. That particular meeting between the two was mentioned in 'The Haldeman Diaries' (which I have somewhere around here... got it like ten years ago) as being about the jewish domination of the media. [b]So it is hardly front page news[/b]! Yet you would think it is a shocking revelation or something, the way the media renews and refreshes every incident, for dramatic effect, ad nauseam.

The funny thing about Nixon is that he set up all the programs liberals defend today. Affirmative action, EPA, additions to welfare programs, etc. And your point about Israel has no basis in reality. Nixon had a problem with some jews [b]here[/b], that he viewed as hostile to him personally, and his policies. Not in Israel. He [b]saved[/b] Israel in the '73 war (at least that's what Golda Meir said), and he didn't have to, and that is something for which he gets no credit today. Jewish-Americans were hardly his constituancy, even though he appointed people from that same community to the highest office, and more so than past presidents. His actions don't mesh with his words. A paradox, I know. He was a strange guy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top