Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2009 12:39:06 PM EDT
here is the deal, i am making some "liberty or death" and "dont tread on me" jerseys for the madison Iron Man in 2010 that i am competing in.

i am having silk screens made up so i can use my family friends silk screne machine to print this logo on my cycling and running shirts. and a couple dozen for my close friends and family.

what i need is a high resolution picture of each
the place making the silk screens says i need a very high resolution photo to avoid pixilation. preferably EPS format. i cant find any high res pix of the below images online. anyone know where i can obtain these?
thanks

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 1:09:22 PM EDT
[#1]
bump?
or is there a more applicable forum to post this under?
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 1:13:45 PM EDT
[#3]
thank you for the link. i will see if the screen maker thinks it is acceptable after i convert it to EPS format.
edit: still holding out for a super high resolution picture of both though.
thanks
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I'm in for a tag/bump because I would like to see the same thing as well....
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 3:12:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
thank you for the link. i will see if the screen maker thinks it is acceptable after i convert it to EPS format.
thanks

Ummmm..... when they say "EPS" format, they probably mean vector artwork, not pixels at all.

There is a free open-source program for producing vector art named Inkscape. It will save in .eps format. Download, install and start learning.

Important hint: you can have multiple layers in an image.... and you can lock layers also. So if you have a file with multiple layers, and you draw on it, the program will draw on the topmost layer that is not locked. All the drawing and editing tools will ignore a locked layer.

So then,,,,,, you create a new image, import your source picture onto the first layer, adjust the opacity down to 50% or so, lock that layer, create another layer above that one, and then you can trace the first layer on the second one with the pencil drawing tool.

When you're done tracing, delete the lower layer (the one with the pixels-picture in it) and save the only layer left as a .eps file.

[edit]
I may get to doing this tomorrow (Dec 19-20) if I have time....
~

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:16:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
thanks

Ummmm..... when they say "EPS" format, they probably mean vector artwork, not pixels at all.

There is a free open-source program for producing vector art named Inkscape. It will save in .eps format. Download, install and start learning.

Important hint: you can have multiple layers in an image.... and you can lock layers also. So if you have a file with multiple layers, and you draw on it, the program will draw on the topmost layer that is not locked. All the drawing and editing tools will ignore a locked layer.

So then,,,,,, you create a new image, import your source picture onto the first layer, adjust the opacity down to 50% or so, lock that layer, create another layer above that one, and then you can trace the first layer on the second one with the pencil drawing tool.

When you're done tracing, delete the lower layer (the one with the pixels-picture in it) and save the only layer left as a .eps file.

[edit]
I may get to doing this tomorrow (Dec 19-20) if I have time....
~

thank you for the info. yes that is what the guy was saying i need to do.
i am not well versed in imaging and stuff like that, so all this is new to me, so i am learning as i go.
but these jerseys will be very cool and worth the effort.
running and biking around madison wisconsin(liberal hell hole) with the dont tread on me will bring a smile to my face during the 114 mile bike ride and 26 mile run
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's a very high res Gadsden, but someone 'shopped an Obama logo in the snakes mouth http://api.ning.com/files/A4DF15SIgzZ5GDDfDZDP1mZtcP0E*36s0v9QjUccss*3NAvztGaxMPoo80VVTIpG/UpdatedGadsdenFlag.jpg

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 3:53:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
......i am not well versed in imaging and stuff like that, so all this is new to me, so i am learning as i go.
but these jerseys will be very cool and worth the effort.
running and biking around madison wisconsin(liberal hell hole) with the dont tread on me will bring a smile to my face during the 114 mile bike ride and 26 mile run

THis is somewhat confusing because an .eps file can contain either raster (pixel) imates, or vector (line art) images, or both.
But the print shop almost always wants vector images for artwork, if it is at all possible.

––––––-

I can brag a bit here: I did the Uncle Sam eating the earth one that says "Try and stop us", and it's still floating around.
Also there was a kalashnikitty one too, because (as I remember) the guy who was selling them got shut down legally.
~

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 4:51:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Sadly, displaying a Gadsden flag or T-shirt will be the extent of most people's "rebellion", while they continue to go to work and pay their taxes.

And the Democrats just snicker.

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 7:07:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sadly, displaying a Gadsden flag or T-shirt will be the extent of most people's "rebellion", while they continue to go to work and pay their taxes.

its a start.
beats just grumbling online or to yourself...
what do you propose people do besides display the flag?
i vote, call my senators and congressmen, write them letters, mailed them a few bricks during the immigration debates, debate my liberal friends almost daily, and have converted a few of them to our camp. and im only 26
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 10:10:54 AM EDT
[#11]
SVG = Scalable Vector Graphic... its the best quality you can get.  Just bring it into illustrator and you can make it the size of a football field even, and it wont lose quality.
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#12]
using livetrace in Illustrator (with some heavy tweaking) I was able to get a nice looking vector out of the banner and snake out of the culpeper picture you posted:

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/169685/CulpeprMinuteMenFlag-ai.html

You're likely going to want to fix up a couple of the spots on there.. and replace the lettering with an actual crisp font.. but that shouldn't take you too long if you know how to use illustrator.

Link Posted: 12/20/2009 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the "Culpeper minute men" version done here:
http://www.norcom2000.com/users/dcimper/assorted/inanities/general_wtf/cmm_gadsden01_f9d4.ai

I had an older version of Inkscape (.45) and it would not open .ai files, but the current version will.

With Inkscape you can remove any part you don't want (like the top banner) and you can re-arrange the lettering pretty easy also.

––––––––––-

The regular Gadsden flag has already been done, it is posted as an SVG image on the Wikipedia page:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d8/Gadsden_flag.svg
Right-click, and "save page as" an .svg file.
(SVG is another vector art file format and Inkscape opens and edits them too)
~
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

its a start.
i vote, call my senators and congressmen, write them letters, mailed them a few bricks during the immigration debates, debate my liberal friends almost daily, and have converted a few of them to our camp. and im only 26

does it?
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

its a start.

does it?

both, accomplish nothing.
at best they provide "strength in numbers" mentality, other than that....
Link Posted: 12/20/2009 7:18:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
thanks

That one directly above your post I'm quoting here is a vector image, meaning you can scale it to whatever size you damn well please without getting jaggies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top