Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2009 12:02:17 PM EDT
I just got a call from a Phoenix police detective and she told me that Maricopa County Sherriff's deputies recovered a gun I reported stolen eight or nine years ago and turned it over to Phoenix. She verified my mailing address and will be sending some forms for me to fill out. I'm so excited for the return of my prodigal son. It's a Norinco SKS.

Is it a tarp? Is there any documentation I need to bring? I don't have the receipt or anything anymore. Hell, I don't even know what the serial number is now, though I obviously did when it was stolen.

Update:

I got the letter yesterday and went to pick it up, but the lady at the property division said it was still being tested. I called the detective and she said it should have been done,  but she’ll check on it and I should be able to pick it up in a couple days.

Update number two:

Called the property office today and they had it! I went to pick it up and it probably took about fifteen minutes for them to find it and run my ID, etc. It's in way better condition than I expected, actually. The bore looks immaculate, which makes me wonder what sort of "testing" they even did. The internal parts are all reasonably clean and there's not a hint of rust or pitting anywhere. It even still has the cleaning rod and the cleaning kit in the buttstock is still slathered in the oil it came with. All the numbers still match and, honestly I doubt if it has been fired. It's not Tapco fucked. The stock has just a few dings that might even have been there when I had it; it has been a while. Whatever dings there are can certainly be accounted for by police evidence lockers. This is way better than I expected. My only complaint is that some dickhead wrote "224" on the stock in black marker. That number is not in the serial number or on any paper work, so I'm not sure why it's there. Here are some pics (still getting used to the new camera, sorry), those spots that look like rust are fibers and oil:

Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just got a call from a Phoenix police detective and she told me that Maricopa County Sherriff's deputies recovered a gun I reported stolen eight or nine years ago and turned it over to Phoenix. She verified my mailing address and will be sending some forms for me to fill out. I'm so excited for the return of my prodigal son. It's a Norinco SKS.

Is it a tarp? Is there any documentation I need to bring? I don't have the receipt or anything anymore. Hell, I don't even know what the serial number is now, though I obviously did when it was stolen.

Don't expect it to look like the same SKS you remember.  

Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:06:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe it somehow ended up in Iraq and got gold plated.
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:06:59 PM EDT
[#3]
pics of gun or

Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I had the SAME thing happen to me with Tempe/PHX PD.

You'll need all your I.D. and they run a NICS check just as though you were purchasing the weapon.

I had a .45 stolen out of my truck in Tempe. Reported it, thought it would be the last I ever saw of the gun.

TWO YEARS LATER I get a call from Tempe PD, they say they have my pistol, come down to the evidence locker with I.D. and I can have it back.

Seems PHX PD siezed it in a drug raid and after all the court proceedings were over they turned it over to Tempe PD, who called me.
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe it somehow ended up in Iraq and got gold plated.

Ohhh  a gold-plated SKS would be a pretty thing to have.  Keep your finger's crossed doood!!
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Im still waiting for my baretta to be returned.
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:09:20 PM EDT
[#7]
This is a feel good thread.  

Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:17:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just wish Murfreesboro Tn PD would recover my S&W 645 stolen in '92 or so. They busted the shithead that stole it but he was able to pass it off first. He said if I didn't press charges he would tell the cops where it was.
Told the shitbird to pound sand. It will turn up eventually.

After being stolen 17 years ago? You're the most optimistic person I know......

BTW, I would have told him to pound sand too.
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:18:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I just wish Murfreesboro Tn PD would recover my S&W 645 stolen in '92 or so. They busted the shithead that stole it but he was able to pass it off first. He said if I didn't press charges he would tell the cops where it was.

Shoulda said sure... Then pressed charges anyway

Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:19:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Im still waiting for my baretta to be returned.

I'm still waiting for my AT-4 to be returned, doubt I'll ever see it again!
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:21:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You'll need all your I.D. and they run a NICS check just as though you were purchasing the weapon.

I had a .45 stolen out of my truck in Tempe. Reported it, thought it would be the last I ever saw of the gun.

TWO YEARS LATER I get a call from Tempe PD, they say they have my pistol, come down to the evidence locker with I.D. and I can have it back.

Seems PHX PD siezed it in a drug raid and after all the court proceedings were over they turned it over to Tempe PD, who called me.

Will a CCW work like when I buy one? I always get delayed if I don't have a CCW.
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:21:59 PM EDT
[#14]
tag for results.
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

^^This

Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:23:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I hoping for my S&W 642 to be found by the Arlington PD.  I hope that the little asshole who broke into my truck while I was in class ends up getting shot with it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Cool.  I hope that one of these days I get that call too.
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:24:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'd have told the shitbird that I wouldn't press charges,  and then, when I had my gun back,  press charges.
l

There is no honor among thieves and I see no reason to act honorably toward thieves.

CJ

Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#19]
They're like WallyWorld. They run the NICS regardless of the CCW permit, because I had mine there at the time also.
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't

DEFINITELY give us an update.

I'm happy you're getting it back, and I hope it is in at least decent condition.
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#21]
James May, from the BBC's car show Top Gear, had a TV stolen from him.

When the police pull him over he casually starts the conversation with: "Ah, this must mean you've recovered my Telly."
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:27:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This....post pics of it when you get it back.

Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#23]
tag
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#24]
I've never had a gun stolen. (knocking on wood)

I can't imagine the feeling in my stomach if that were to happen.
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:32:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This... the cocksucker did not deserve anything more from you.
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:34:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
James May, from the BBC's car show Top Gear, had a TV stolen from him.

When the police pull him over he casually starts the conversation with: "Ah, this must mean you've recovered my Telly."

Priceless... I gotta remember that one!
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't

DEFINITELY give us an update.  

I'm happy you're getting it back, and I hope it is in at least decent condition.

I'll be happy if it's still functional. Hell, I'll be happy regardless. I'll be tickled pink if it's serviceable.
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They're like WallyWorld. They run the NICS regardless of the CCW permit, because I had mine there at the time also.

They are probably not running the same NICS check that a dealer would.  Should be no delay.
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:40:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#31]
You gonna get raped in tent city wearing pink jammies.
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:44:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
FWIW you need to go over that sks with a fine tooth comb and make sure someone didnt modify it.
All you need is to get tagged for having an illegal MG by BATFE because some hood rate filed on it to make it easier to go bang

I'll be sure to file the firing pin down while I'm at it.

Seriously, though, that's good advice worth much more than what I paid for it. Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:45:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Excellent news! A buddy of mine had a Sig P220 stolen from his truck in Chattanooga and got it back 7 years later in perfect condition with the same ammo in the mag, and the cheap ass nylon holster it was stolen in had magically transformed into a nice Galco!
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 12:46:52 PM EDT
[#34]
My buddy got that call last year.

Someone stole a Sp101 out of his car and 3 years later the cops called him to come pick it up.

It was found buried in the dirt. All it needed was a oil bath and a new front sight.

Link Posted: 12/10/2009 1:07:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding. Wouldn't be shocked to find it all rusted up and not working. But at least you'll get it back. Best of luck.
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Maybe the homies that stole it put an ACOG on top of it.

Link Posted: 12/10/2009 1:14:03 PM EDT
[#37]
My brothers glock came back after a 10 year absence....it was used in a murder trial......he reported it stolen and it was in the system.

after finding out it was used to kill two hunters...my brother was not fond of it and he decided to sell it.

Link Posted: 12/10/2009 1:14:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

How long did it take from when you got the call? Did they mail documents like Phoenix PD is doing?
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 1:20:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Excellent news! A buddy of mine had a Sig P220 stolen from his truck in Chattanooga and got it back 7 years later in perfect condition with the same ammo in the mag, and the cheap ass nylon holster it was stolen in had magically transformed into a nice Galco!

I bought a P220 from a friend who got it from a face to face....I don't think I want the serial number run .
I've had it for almost 7 years...I always kind of wonder about that gun.
Link Posted: 12/10/2009 1:21:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Grandpa Bill pimped it out for you:

Link Posted: 12/10/2009 1:58:17 PM EDT
[#41]
TAG for outcome!

Link Posted: 12/15/2009 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Bump for update.
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#43]
tag
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#44]
I had the same thing happen....With a compound bow!

Now think about that for a minute. How the hell did they track me down to return a bow that had been lost for years when it didnt even have a serial number. I was shocked. Admittedly it was rather funny to be walking around downtown Kansas City with a bow and some arrows. I think the locals thought I had went full psycho......
Link Posted: 12/15/2009 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 9:52:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Bump for update.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Looks damn good all things considered! Glad it's back home with the rightful owner!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top