Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2002 1:05:04 PM EDT
since i've been a kid, i've always been intrigued by the idea of surfcasting...and taking a truck and a cooler of beer and food and driving righ onto the beach just before sunrise. it's persisted for long enough in my head that i suspect i'm going to have to actually try it some day.

and when i bought my first project truck a couple years back (66 ford bronco) in the back of my head was the idea that someday i woudl cruise that thing to the beach.

unfortunately, i'm in central pennsylvania and don't know anyone that surfcasts or even sportfishes in saltwater. the information i've found on the web as i've researched had been helpful, but i suspect it is kind of liek shooting in that you can only read and learn so much without actually doing it.

anyone willign to talk abotu the sport with me. i'm curious to know if it matches the image and try to find out how enjoyable it can be. beach, cooler, beer, fire, fishing, maybe a hottie or two. can i do that anywhere on the east coast..maybe NJ?

thanks!

Link Posted: 2/25/2002 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#1]
eutrotrash,

I lived in south central PA years ago and did a lot of surf casting in Chincoteague, VA and the Outer Banks, NC.  I now live "down east" in NC and would be interested in talking surf-casting with you anytime.  E-mail me.

Schnert
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto for me too, i grew up on eastern Long Island and surf fishing was the first type I learned.  Drop me a line with any questions.

Tim
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I just started surfcasting last year, but fly fishing for trout is more my speed (if you wouldn't mind moving to LI, i'd take your place in PA!). The best time to fish is a few hours before dusk until a few hours after dawn. You can fish on pretty much any beach, it's not like one will be better that the other. As far as tackle goes, I have a 10" St. Croix "Ben Doerr Surf system" rod and a Penn Spinfisher 6500SS spinning reel (holds 250 yards of 15 LB test). It is rated for lure weights up to 3 ounces, which means it is fine to use with lures (plugs, bucktails, etc) and live eels but you usually about a bit more weight than 3 ozs to hold bottom while bottom fishing with bait.

I fish on Cupsogue beach in Westhampton, NY. It is a good stretch and goes to an inlet. I have a house out there so I just walk it, but you can drive a truck there if you want to. I think you need some special permit from Suffolk County or something. I can't really comment on any other beaches since this is the only place i've fished.

you might want to try stripersurf.com for info, but i've found there is surprisingly little info online. I also found alot of great books in the library. That's all I can think of for now, best of luck.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 4:08:41 PM EDT
[#4]
LongIslandShooter brings up an interesting point - you can fly cast in the surf.

I use a 9' 8wt Fenwick World Class flycasting rod and a Penn reel with my home made crab patterns.  It's not as fun as casting the Penn's Creek in Union County PA or the Conococheague in Franklin County, PA - but it's still a lot of fun!
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 5:22:58 PM EDT
[#5]
guys,

thanks for the info. i'll definitely be in touch. unfortunately, there was a minor disaster at the office today so i didn't get to spend as much time on the board or with personal email as i would've liked.

Link Posted: 2/26/2002 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I forgot to mention you can also fly fish in the surf. It would be best to use a 10 foot 10 weight rod. Personally I would rather use a spinning rod. It's easier, cheaper, and more versatile; in saltwater anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top