Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/18/2001 4:55:25 PM EDT
Why is it, whenever I go to the range, the "Wandering Range Idiot" always finds me.

You know the kind...
"Hey, what kind of gun is that?  Is it a machine gun?" blahblahblah

But my favorite topic is "Contrails".WTF is up with contrails!?!  
"You know what is in that contrail up there?"
"It is a gov't plot to....."

I've tried ignoring them, talking to them, verbally abusing them, but these idiots keep bothering me!!!

Please, fellow AR15'ers, HELP ME!

Paul
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I went to the range today and the second one of the guy saw the AR he wouldn't quit staring.  The guy to the left of me was pretty cool about it and even talked to my friend about old Army days.  The point is that there is always going to be idiots.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I know the type, but ..... don't be too hard on some.  Some people just want to chat..... nothing wrong w/ that.  Then there are the idots.  There's good and the bad.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh boy!  Range Idiots!  Here's an interesting breed.  Gee lets see how I can endanger 50 people plus all at once...I know!...I'll buy a gun and go the shooting range while not knowing my head from my @ss about firearms safety.  

I cannot tell you how many times I've seen near death experiences.  Then when the range master runs over yelling and screaming, the moron has the audacity to question him.  I saw one individual nearly shoot his buddy in the groin as he turned to talk to him mid clip w/92F in hand, finger on the trigger, muzzle pointed at his friend's pants.  

Another time, this is a prize taker, a guy was firing a bolt action rifle from the hip at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 5:47:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I've had all kinds... From the "See son, that's one of them thar ass-ult wepons, what good is one of those?" (After shooting a nice tight group at 100yds, he was beside himself.) "Must be a custom made one!" so I told him, "This is an off-the-shelf gun."

To a bolt gunner two lanes over asking if we were shooting at his targets? (I was shooting My scoped SKS, not a sub-moa for sure but usualy under 1"-2" at 100 yards, and at .30 cal, it makes larger holes than a .22 cal!) he was saying "Well someone is!" so I looked through My spoting scope, a flyer! A freaking flyer! he wanted to blame Me for his shooting or reloading error! "Looks like a .22 cal hole to Me!, must have been a flyer!(Insert large smile & voice here!)
he goes off..."^%$$(^%@_&^@_(&** assult weapons $&^%@#&^$$!! a**holes!"
So I let another guy use My lane and moved over a bench, I shoot left handed on rifles and it was quite fun to bounce brass off of his stupid head and scope all afternoon! at least until he packed up his sorry butt and left...

part of the "Fun" I guess!
Enjoy!

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 7:02:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Range idiots to me are like other drivers.
Anyone going faster than you is a a-hole, anyone going slower is too cautious.
[uzi]
As long as they are observing the safty rules, it is ok with me.
If they are not, I often don't know how to correct them. Sometimes I will just ask them politely to step up to the line, or keep thier weapon pointed down range, That seems to work with the majority of them. The scary ones who don't listen to me, I don't know what to do with.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 8:05:39 PM EDT
[#6]
not quite at the range, but the other day i was at wal-mart getting a cd player for my truck, and their was a forign fellow, chinese maybe, looking for a rifle. he would ask the wallyworld sporting goods guy questions, and of course, he didnt know his ass from a hole in the ground. so i jump in and help answer this guys questions. he wanted a bolt action in .308 or like. he seemed to like the remington M700. the stupid-ass salesman says, wow, that $600(dont remember the exact amount)and points at a peice of sheaut .22, savage i think and says  " this one is only 100 $ and it holds 10 rds and comes with a scope, and this one(pointing at a mini14) holds more bullets too, i cant see why a gun that only holds 4 rd is so much more expensive, and it dosent even have a scope" i was baffeled, how could a guy that claims to have fired a gun be so damn stupid. instead of explaining to him how much of a retard he was, i just stood there in amazment. now the next question the china-man asks is what kind if any permit is required for this gun. i told him none, just a background check. the stipid salesman says, no, in iowa you need a permit to shoot a gun, just not to buy one. when i corected him he still held his ground, i told him i have many guns i shoot on a regular basis. he also insisted the background check took 3-5 hours. it takes 3-5 min, 15 min max. i told that guy i bought a gun yesterday, which i had, and the check took 5 min. he just said, no,.............no. and walked away. then i waited for him in the parking lot and beat him with a 5 cell mag light and told him never to dispense such bullshit again, especailly to a "new americian" that dont know any better.

none of that last part happened, obviously.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#7]
One time I went to a range with my guns, a 10/22 and a .38, and these rich ass bastards with HK's, AR15's, and AK's show up. They start saying crap and lauging about my "pipsqueak" guns. They shot my target several times. What really pissed me off was one of them came over and said "I could buy 10 of your guns for what one of my guns cost."
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 9:28:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Imbroglio, I have seen this crap before and it makes me want to puke.  I'm sorry you had to deal with that crap.  If it makes you feel any better, in my previous post in this thread, the guy that all most castrated his friend was a prettyboy guido who was at the range w/ his other prettyboy guido friends.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 9:30:34 PM EDT
[#9]
"I can buy 10 of ........................."

Thats when you should have smashed his guns into
little pieces.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 9:38:27 PM EDT
[#10]
My favorites, at an indoor handgun range:

The guy shooting a Tec9 'gangsta style', who has to clear jams every other round.

The big ghetto thugs shooting pistol gripped Mossberg500s (loaded with birdshot) from the hip at 5yrds.  Yeah guys, you CAN hit a mansized target with birdshot from arms-length range.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why is it, whenever I go to the range, the "Wandering Range Idiot" always finds me.

But my favorite topic is "Contrails".WTF is up with contrails!?!  
"You know what is in that contrail up there?"
"It is a gov't plot to....."
View Quote

According to a few guests on Art Bell's
Dreamland program they are aluminum particles
that reflect sunlight and slow down global
warming.
Face up to it man, your just a range idiot magnet.

Link Posted: 3/18/2001 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My favorites, at an indoor handgun range:

The guy shooting a Tec9 'gangsta style', who has to clear jams every other round.

The big ghetto thugs shooting pistol gripped Mossberg500s (loaded with birdshot) from the hip at 5yrds.  Yeah guys, you CAN hit a mansized target with birdshot from arms-length range.
View Quote

You should introduce yourself and show them
what they are doing wrong. Share your knowledge
and expertise.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 9:48:01 PM EDT
[#13]
About a year ago I was at John's Mountain Range in northern Georgia. I was with a regular shooting friend also named Matt. We were waiting for a bench to open up when we arrived at the range. We sat on a bench behind the firing line and just watched the other shooters.To our right front about 15 feet was a man dressed in a dress shirt, pleated pants, dress shoes, and tie shooting what looked to be a new muzzleloader. The box was in good condition proped up against the shooting shelf. This shooter whom we named Blood And Guts lifts the rifle and pulls the trigger. The rifle goes poof very lightly. I don't know squat about muzzle loaders , but I would have not done what this toad did. He immediatly lowers the rifle with the stock on the ground and looks down the barrel. At this point I'm nudging my friend and saying do you see this. I told my friend Matt to slide to left because I don't feel like getting brain matter on me today. I guess something was wrong with the percussion cap. I know blackpowder can burn slow and not to look down a barrel of any loaded gun.

NO SLACK!

Constitution Party
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Oh boy!  Range Idiots!  Here's an interesting breed.  Gee lets see how I can endanger 50 people plus all at once...I know!...I'll buy a gun and go the shooting range while not knowing my head from my @ss about firearms safety.  

I cannot tell you how many times I've seen near death experiences.  Then when the range master runs over yelling and screaming, the moron has the audacity to question him.  I saw one individual nearly shoot his buddy in the groin as he turned to talk to him mid clip w/92F in hand, finger on the trigger, muzzle pointed at his friend's pants.  

Another time, this is a prize taker, a guy was firing a bolt action rifle from the hip at 50 yards.
View Quote

At the ranges around they would be gone!
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 9:59:23 PM EDT
[#15]
RealOaf,
I just can't believe you went to the range with out inviting me!!  My feelings are truly hurt![>q]

Imbrog|io,
I am getting tired of hearing you only own a 10/22 and a .38 stubby, I am not even sure if I believe it.  But if it is true then we all might just have to start up a collection and buy you a new rifle.  With that said, what type of rifle would you like[?]

sgtar15
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 10:04:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a sitiation similar to Tall Shadow once. I was shooting my tack driver scoped AR at the range and all of a sudden the guy next to me says, "Hey, are you shooting my target"? Our targets were 6' apart. He's shooting a .308. I say, "Nope". A couple minutes later he says, "Hey, are you sure you aren't shooting at my target?" I say, "Look, I have the red decals all over mine. I have a 10 power scope. The targets are 6' apart. And My holes are smaller than yours. I'm not shooting your target." Okay, 5 minutes later he says, "Hey, you must be shooting my target because those holes by the wooden frame didn't come from me!". By this time, I've lost my patience. So I say, "Look, if I were shooting at your target it would look like this..." I then fire 5 rounds, and they strike his target right in the X ring within a 1/2 MOA spread. The guy says, "Oh, I guess not then". What a bonehead.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 10:05:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

and expertise.
View Quote

That is a great suggestion.  

Usually I enjoy shooting with newbies (they make me look good!) and spreading the fun by letting folks shoot my nasty 'black' rifles.  

However, in the case of these particular fellows, I wouldn't want to teach them anything they might use for bad purposes.  I'd hate to think that I aided someone doing a 'successful' drive-by.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 10:18:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
"Look, if I were shooting at your target it would look like this..." I then fire 5 rounds, and they strike his target right in the X ring within a 1/2 MOA spread. The guy says, "Oh, I guess not then". What a bonehead.
View Quote

[8D]

Link Posted: 3/18/2001 10:20:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't think Art Bell is doing the Dreamland thing anymore.
I know that Whitley Strieber has a program called Dreamland.

Ummm, oh yea, Range Idiots....

The guy with the fat wife and the three whining children on the pistol range up in Dulzura.
Our hero was shooting some POS revolver, his wife was shooting a Glock 17, the youngest was no more than 2 and was sleeping on a bench chair, the two others were running around, pawing at other people stuff. I was two lanes to the right of these winners, and I was passing time waiting for the rifle range to open. One of their "littl dears" came over to my lane and started digging into my range bag. When I kicked at my bag he started to whine, and his father yelled at him to be quite. Not to stop bothering the other people, just to be quite.
About this time the third brat came over and was pushing his older brother around just to the right of my table. At this point I put down my gun and was about to say something to the parents when the bigger one tripped the little one, which made the little one fall and smack his face on the edge of the range table. Again the father just yelled at the kids to knock it off, all the while the little one was crying. I had just bent over to get something out of my range bag when I saw the mother (both hands on the pistol, finger on the trigger) sweep the entire right side of the range with her gun, and then continued to sweep the cars in the parking lot as she was tracking her kids. About this time I hit the deck with my pistol in my hand, and I had it drawn on her. One of the guys in a car in the parking lot jumped out of his car and came storming to the range yelling for a cease-fire. I knew what was going to happen next, so I stayed on the ground. She swept the range back in the opposite direction, and ended up pointing the gun down at the table. About this time her husband realized what had just happened, and realized that I was laying on the ground with my gun pointing at his wife.
He took the gun from her hand and told her to start packing up. She was about to say something when the range safety officer came over and booted the entire family out.
She started to open her big yap when her husband said something real softly in her ear. That's when she looked over at me laying on the ground, decocking my pistol. I must of had a total "I'm gonna tear off your head and #*#( down your windpipe" look, she looked at the guy who had come running from the truck, looked at me, then her husband and started to cry. I was shaking my head yes the whole time.
The range officer came up to me, I thought I was going to get an ass-chewing. Instead he asked me how come I just didn't shoot her when I had the chance.
The guy in the truck told me that he had watched that fat cow sweep her husband and the left side of the range not more than 5 minutes ago. He was looking mighty pleased with himself until both me and the range master asked him why he didn't do anything about before she did it again.
Go figure.

Link Posted: 3/18/2001 10:21:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

and expertise.
View Quote

That is a great suggestion.  

Usually I enjoy shooting with newbies (they make me look good!) and spreading the fun by letting folks shoot my nasty 'black' rifles.  

However, in the case of these particular fellows, I wouldn't want to teach them anything they might use for bad purposes.  I'd hate to think that I aided someone doing a 'successful' drive-by.  
View Quote

Fair enough.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 11:21:54 PM EDT
[#22]
I think anyone who has shot at ranges has seen an idiot or a group of idiots.I had a friends girlfriend ask to go shooting with us.I explained the rules showed her what the gun does."12 ga semi".She shot it twice and i was leaning down grabing some more shells.And she spun around and pointed it right at my head with her finger on the trigger about 12 inches away.Needless to say she didnt get to shoot any more!!!And shooting other peoples targets.There was a guy at a range i goto.He has clay pigeons out a 100 yards.He is shooting a 300H@H or bigger.Like a 6-24 scope,Shoots 50+ rounds and cant hit a pigeon.I have my win 30-30 i said you mind if i shoot a couple of those.He said sure,Him and his friend were giggling like little girls.Cranked off 6 rnds hit 6 pigeons.He wined at me and  said a couple.My stepdad said "didnt look like you were going to em any way".They got all butt hurt and left.We shot all their targets,Whith a ruger .22 pistol.These are the type"I got alot of money i can go buy a expensive rifle@scope and hit any thing".But at least there fun to laugh at.But i will take these guys all day.But if a person points there gun at me it time to kick some ass.Or at least chew on it a bit Depending on there attitude "or how big they are".Never know you might  run into a nutt case.Stupid is as stupid does.HAPPY SHOOTING I KNOW I SPELL LIKE SHIT.
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 11:40:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I am the sociable and curious type myself, and if I am not familiar with something on the bench it is one hell of a rarity.

The type that really chaps me are not the types with 30-378's beside me when I do smallbore position practice, but the macho types trying to teach womenfolk to shoot.

I recall one guy several years ago trying to teach his wife to shoot a 300 winchester.  She was more afraid of him than the gun!  Meanwhile, the guy is commanding her to "control the gun, don't let it control you!!!"

They had a 10 yo boy with them getting bored.  With their permission (and to make a point) I introduced him to my .223 kimber 82, with really mild loads that shot incredibly well.  After he missed the first shot, he hit the 8x10 gong at 130 yards EVERY time till he emptied the box of 50 I was going to use.

The look of gratitude from the wife I will never forget.  I wish I could meet her in a bar somewhere.        
Link Posted: 3/18/2001 11:57:44 PM EDT
[#24]
She was not a wandering range idiot; her boyfriend was shooting beside me.

She was ex-airfarce and kept admiring my "M16" with the shiny barrel loudly (my highpower AR) and spoke of her days when qualifying with one just out of basic training.

Tried to get her to quiet down and start calling it an AR15 before the wrong types became interested, but she was hyped up on adrenaline or something.  

What astonished her is that the rifle could shoot as far as 200 yards - the highpower targets I use are 2' square.  It is a good thing the airforce leaves real warfighting to pilots.    
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 12:14:20 AM EDT
[#25]
I hate to call her a [i]range idiot[/i] but she was.

There was this girl in one of my firearms and marksmanship classes in college (nice looking amazon type, bout 6' tall and D breasts), she had just gotten her P89 a few weeks earlier and was online in [i]ready gun[/i] position alongside four other shooters. Well she decides that her ears weren't sitting right and needed adjustment before the fire command was given. Rather than reholstering her weapon before making the necessary adjustments she just reaches up with her indexed 9mm in hand and fixes her ears. About that time the instructor yelled something like "******* what the hell are you doing? Holster your damned weapon!!!"

No harm done but scared the hell out of a few of us who were currently looking at her from behind the line.

Jake
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 12:40:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Note to all LEOs, do not take offense, there
are ass holes in every proffesion.

TAMPA POLICE RANGE IDIOTS!

The Tarpon Springs Police Department was holding
training exercises some years ago. A reserve
officer managed to put a bullet into a house
a mile away. He had to clear a berm that was
60 ft. high. This contributed to the closing
of the best range in the Tampa Bay Area.

A Detective was practicing his "quick draw"
from a shoulder rig. My friend was 6 lanes down
shooting bulls eye. He walked down to the
Detective, not knowing he was a leo, and told
him that he was breaking clearly posted range
saftey rules. The Det. pulled out his shield
an said he could shoot anyway he wanted !@#$%^&*
My friend headed straight for the Club House
to wait until the Det. was finished. 5 minutes
later screams were heard and they all ran out
to discover that the Det. had blown a big hole
in his shoulder.
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 1:34:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Imbrog|io you crack me up!  I've been on to you ever since we were arguing about some political bullshit a few months back.  I'm still dyin' after reading you post.  You're such an asshole!  And a warped one at that. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.......

MG
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 5:45:01 AM EDT
[#28]
"About this time I hit the deck with my pistol in my hand, and I had it drawn on her. One of the guys in a car in the parking lot jumped out of his car and came storming to the range yelling for a cease-fire. I knew what was going to happen next, so I stayed on the ground. She swept the range back in the opposite direction, and ended up pointing the gun down at the table. About this time her husband realized what had just happened, and realized that I was laying on the ground with my gun pointing at his wife.
He took the gun from her hand and told her to start packing up. She was about to say something when the range safety officer came over and booted the entire family out.
She started to open her big yap when her husband said something real softly in her ear. That's when she looked over at me laying on the ground, decocking my pistol. I must of had a total "I'm gonna tear off your head and #*#( down your windpipe" look, she looked at the guy who had come running from the truck, looked at me, then her husband and started to cry. I was shaking my head yes the whole time.
The range officer came up to me, I thought I was going to get an ass-chewing. Instead he asked me how come I just didn't shoot her when I had the chance."

What a hero.  So, you hitting the dirt and drawing down on this woman improved the situation, how?  You seem like you shouldn't be trusted with a gun any more than her.  In fact, everybody present that day, according to what you put down here, seems to need remediation in basic gun safety.  There were clearly hazardous activities and unsupervised children (from your description)and everybody, including you and the range master, just let things go until a near tragedy occurs...then you do your little John Woo manuever.  What a hero.
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 6:01:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
"...[W]hen I saw the mother (both hands on the pistol, finger on the trigger) sweep the entire right side of the range with her gun, and then continued to sweep the cars in the parking lot as she was tracking her kids. About this time I hit the deck with my pistol in my hand, and I had it drawn on her....About this time her husband realized what had just happened, and realized that I was laying on the ground with my gun pointing at his wife....She started to open her big yap when her husband said something real softly in her ear. That's when she looked over at me laying on the ground, decocking my pistol. I must of had a total "I'm gonna tear off your head and #*#( down your windpipe" look, she looked at the guy who had come running from the truck, looked at me, then her husband and started to cry. I was shaking my head yes the whole time.
The range officer came up to me....he asked me how come I just didn't shoot her when I had the chance.
View Quote

Wow!  Pointing a gun at a woman!  I bet you waited a loooong time for [i]that[/i] opportunity!

WTF were you going to do?  Shoot her?  Why?  [b]IF[/b] she would have accidentally discharged one round, she would have dropped the gun and freaked out.  Why shoot her then?  Is that the penalty for poor range ettiquette?  Because she's a fat cow?  Or do you have superpowers that none of us know about, enabling you to use your "spidey-shooting-sense" to shoot her the microsecond before she shot somebody?  Or, were you going to slip into a phone booth and transmutate into The Flash and shoot her AD'd bullets right out of the air with your own, all so fast that nobody would have noticed?

[edited by Cible 'cause he fell for GEF's joke]

Hahahahaha!  I feel pretty stupid, but I guess I should've thought about it first before my reply.  After all, if I was shooting at the range and some dude dove into the dirt and started pointing his gun at some woman, that dude would be shot so fast it actually [i]would[/i] be funny.

[SIZE=3][b]Viva Range Ninja!  VIVA![/SIZE=3][/b]

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 6:34:57 AM EDT
[#30]
I work weekends so my off day is during the week. Perfect time to shoot as I am usually the only one on the range! NO RANGE IDIOTS!!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 6:55:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I hate to call her a [i]range idiot[/i] but she was.

No harm done but scared the hell out of a few of us who were currently looking at her from behind the line.

Jake
View Quote

I just HAVE to correct your posting error...it should read

"No harm done but scared the hell out of a few of us who were currently looking at her behind from the line."

[:D]

Link Posted: 3/19/2001 8:06:18 AM EDT
[#32]
I always seam to have 3-10 people come over and ask me what kind of gun is it and what kind of scope is that and it never bothers me.

One time when I was at a private unsupervised range in S. California some people about 10 rows over couldn’t see why we got so upset with them for shooting when we where changing targets.

A few months ago at the range at the bench next to us these guys where shooting pistols and revolvers at a target-frame they had set up only 3-4 paces in front of their bench and they where standing and shooting. These guys where such bad shots they needed to get closes so they kept moving closer and closes to their target until this one guy was standing just a little in front of his bench. At this time I pick up my AR10A4 with muzzle Break (Break ports out the sides only)  and shoulder the weapon from the bench and aim, then begin to squeeze the trigger while watching our neighbor out the corner of my eye knowing he will get a big blast about his mid section. When that round fired he just about jumped out of his skin and I just kept shooting away. During the cease-fire they where all talking with amazement about how powerful my rifle is. Needless to say they stayed behind the bench while shooting from then on.

THISISME
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 8:28:51 AM EDT
[#33]
If someone give you grief about your 10/22. I Tell them here is a picture of my other gun.

[img]http://history.navy.mil/photos/images/k12000/k12603.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 3/19/2001 8:30:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#35]
After all of your posts, any one here for a MANDATORY gun safety course for all new gun owners?

Link Posted: 3/19/2001 10:16:39 AM EDT
[#36]
I would agree that a range could require a certain level of saftey training to allow people to shoot there.  If I owned a range I might require a first time visitor to demonstrate adequate safe handling. However requireing a gun purchaser to have mandatory safety training obviously is an infringement to owning a gun.  Which of course is in direct conflict with the 2nd amendment.  

Perhaps an IQ test to prevent ignorant people from going out in public would be more appropriate.
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
After all of your posts, any one here for a MANDATORY gun safety course for all new gun owners?

View Quote

[b]"A well-regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed." [/b]

Hmmmm...since the FF didn't intend for teh Fed gov't to control the STATE militias WHOSE SOLE PURPOSE FOR EXISTENCE was to deter teh Fed gov't from getin' too big fer its britches, I don't believe a FEDERAL mandatory safety course is Constitutional.

As far as a state course, if you want something screwed up beyond repair, just get gov't involved.

You can't legislate away stupidity. All you can do is hope stupidity kills itself off before it kills someone else. If that isn't the case, you MUST exact the same punishment on teh stupid that they exacted on their innocent victims.

The range I joined had a mandatory safety instruction. THAT is where safety training MUST lie - with the people.

Link Posted: 3/19/2001 11:10:12 AM EDT
[#38]
This thread was quite entertaining until the Constitution came up.
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 11:14:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Speaking of LEO when I was in the police academy we had a girl on the range that placed her thumb a bit high on her semi-auto pistol and after she fired her first round the slide took a large chunk of skin off and she dropped the loaded pistol on the concrete floor. Range master screaming for a cease fire and made her pickup her firearm, make it safe, and holster before she could go get medical attention. When she pickud the gun up she fired another round by accident and actually hit another cadets target and scored a better shot then she had been when she aimed. After picking the pistol up AGAIN she went and got her finger taken care off. Now if everyone had bashed her over the incident she would have probably quit since she was a newbie to firears. Instead she got extra attention and support and ended up doing better than some of the MACHO gun men. [sniper]
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

[size=4]What part of "Shall Not Be Enfringed" do you not understand?!?!

Sheeple!  HA!

Who will Stand with me?

TSHTF?

Who are the real Range Patriots!

Free the Ranges!

I shoot only Free Range Ammo!

The Constitution ain't about ranges!

What?[/size=4]
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

that's disconcerting.

ESPECIALLY since YOU as a Connecticut resident, stand to lose a great deal of firearms freedoms due to UNCONSTITUTIONAL laws in the VERY near future. Are you going to the hearing tomorrow, or will it not be "entertaining" enuf for you?? (I am a frickin S Carolina resident, and I'M working to fight these "persons of illegitimate parentage.")

I don't get it. Help me understand. Does the Constitution BORE you???

A poster asked about MANDATORY training for gun purchases. What other foundation do we have for  discussing new LAWS other than the Constitution????

This ain't about "entertainment." IF "entertaining" is what you want, turn on your Sony Playstation II.

What am I missing here????
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Hey Golgo-13, Cible,
Where do you two get off on slamming me?
I didn't hit the deck doing a jon woo, I hit the deck just about pissing my pants with my heart in my throat trying not to get shot.
This all happened within 10 seconds, it's not like it was an all day set-up.
You are right, I should of said something and the rangemaster should of said something.
Neither of us did though.
And it's not like I had the gun trained on her and was tracking her, I hit the deck when I saw her sweep me, and I only pointed my gun at her out of reflex.
As soon as I realized what I was doing I lowered my gun.
I was lucky that no one didn't just see me hit the deck and then point my gun at her, I would say that I was lucky not to have Golgo-13 or Cible there as they would have started shooting me without bothering to find out what was going on.
You two asswipes are fucking perfect.
That's why you are such perfect fucking assholes.
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 1:57:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Speaking of LEO when I was in the police academy we had a girl on the range that placed her thumb a bit high on her semi-auto pistol and after she fired her first round the slide took a large chunk of skin off and she dropped the loaded pistol on the concrete floor. Range master screaming for a cease fire and made her pickup her firearm, make it safe, and holster before she could go get medical attention.
View Quote

This same thing happened in my CCW class except no AD after the fact, but in this case the rangemaster/instructor patched her up, had her complete the course of fire, PASSED HER and gave her the cert before her son came to take her to the ER, is that not SCREWED UP???
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 1:59:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Garandman, no the Constitution doesn't bore me.  What I should have said is that the funny stories were great, then some one mentioned "mandatory safety training", and in came the law, and out went the funny/interesting stories.  Obviously, I'm awfully close to making my pants colorful as I'm about to be Constitutional raped by my state legislators.  So I do understand "shall not be infringed" as that defends my right to keep and bear arms.

When you mention my Constitutional rights to me you are preaching to the quire, just like many other members here.

We have agreed many times in the past and have communicated quite well w/o condecsending eachother.  In the context of this thread the "manadatory" nonsense and the Constitutional rebuttal seemed to interrupt the stories.  That's all I was saying.

BTW, my feeling was that a thread entitled "Range Idiots" was meant to be entertaining.
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 2:07:25 PM EDT
[#45]
I show-up at the range just as cease-fire had been called.  I am looking for a spot and waiting behind the ready line.  The range was not controlled and there was a hillbilly and his wife and kids at a firing position messing with their guns.  I shake my head and look down range at the 7-yard post.  There are two old guys putting up their targets when I hear a boom.  Right next to the old guy there is a hole where one had not existed.  At this point all heads turn to the firing position where the hillbilly is; his fat wife is there with her mouth agape and a .44 S&W smoking in her hand.  I think the guy realized he better leave before the shock wore off.  

Ever sense I take control of the range if it is not controlled.  There have been times I have had to challenge the Range Master because he was letting things slip.  Like the time another Hillbilly had his kids and his fat wife at the firing position on the 100-yard range, and fat ass was trying to catch a wink.  We thought she was in possession of a weapon and waited 10 minutes before the idiot realized she had her head down and called cease-fire.  I had to remind the so-called Range Master of the rules and he made fat ass get up and move behind ready line.
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#46]
"About this time I hit the deck with my pistol in my hand, and I had it drawn on her. One of the guys in a car in the parking lot jumped out of his car and came storming to the range yelling for a cease-fire. I knew what was going to happen next, so I stayed on the ground. She swept the range back in the opposite direction, and ended up pointing the gun down at the table. About this time her husband realized what had just happened, and realized that I was laying on the ground with my gun pointing at his wife.
The range officer came up to me, I thought I was going to get an ass-chewing. Instead he asked me how come I just didn't shoot her when I had the chance."

"I didn't hit the deck doing a jon woo, I hit the deck just about pissing my pants with my heart in my throat trying not to get shot.
This all happened within 10 seconds, it's not like it was an all day set-up.
You are right, I should of said something and the rangemaster should of said something.
Neither of us did though.
And it's not like I had the gun trained on her and was tracking her, I hit the deck when I saw her sweep me, and I only pointed my gun at her out of reflex.
As soon as I realized what I was doing I lowered my gun."

What a hero.  You're right, I'm just an asshole and shouldn't say boo to dirt-hittin', reflexive gun pointin',"I'm gonna tear off your head and #*#( down your windpipe" expression wearin', hard case like you.  You still haven't explained how you improved the situation by your actions in any way, skippy.  Or was the idea that you were one of the range idiots, too?
Also, the second version of your story that I've reproduced above tries to put a different spin on events than the first version.  which one is the truth?  Are you the highly trained range-ninja who terminates fat women for violating safety rules or are you the pants-pissing shrinking violet who has the balls to point a gun at a woman, but not to tell her she is violating basic safety precautions?  I revise my first opinion of you in one way.  You are LESS to be trusted with a gun than the woman in the story you told.  She was acting out of ignorance, you claim to be knowledgeable about guns and gun safety, but you still acted like a dimwit.
FOAD.
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 5:34:22 PM EDT
[#47]
GEF;

Sorry, I'm with Golgo-13 on this one.  You tell two very different stories.  The first one sounds very Kung Fu Theater; the second sounds better, but it's still kinda Range Ninja.  I really did think you were kidding.  I guess you weren't.

Where did you learn your gun-pointin' reflexes?  Merc school?  Only if you're a full-time cop or combat vet can I see such reflexes without implicating Range Ninja.

It's probably a good thing all four of us were not at the same range, sounds like it would have been quite a mess.  "Three men dead at shooting range, fat woman and her screaming children confused and unhurt, story at 11."

I'm not blaming you for not saying anything, I doubt that I would have in time, anyways she would just have wheeled around and pointed her gun at you again while saying "WHAT?? I CAN'T HEAR YOU. WHAT?"

And finally, make up your mind.  You said:
You two asswipes are fucking perfect.
That's why you are such perfect fucking assholes.
View Quote
 Well, which is it?

Asswipes or assholes?

I'm not ashamed to admit I wipe my ass.  It's a hygeine kinda thing.

[;)]
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#48]
OK, let me try it one more time.
I was at the range practicing for the upcoming mall security ninja championships.
There was a family next to me enjoying the day participating in shooting.
I noticed that two of their children had made a movement in my direction, so while firing my Glock one handed sideways gangsta style I split my eyes so that I could follow the perps...I mean children.
When one of them approached me I drop-kicked him with my left foot while I kept hitting the bullseye with my rounds.
At this time the pere cryed out for his mommy, at which time I noticed her looking at me. I dropped to the ground in a three point stance and trained my Glock on her. I also pulled out my 12 gauge shotgun and covered her husband and 2 year old child.
When one of the patrons of the range came out to see what was going on I jumped up from my prone position up over the range table and chair and took up a defensive position over my range bag all the while keeping my Golck trained on her.
At this time the range master came over and bowed to my superior mall ninja skills. He also sent the family of perps packing.
I felt like bruce lee, chuck conners, jon woo, and syl stallone all rolled up into one complete mall ninja warrior.

You guys figured me out. I guess I have to find a beter cover story.

Link Posted: 3/19/2001 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#49]
The only time Ive been to a realy nice range was at the Police acadamy. There was no foolin around there. When I go shooting I just go out on the desert that is 15 mins from my house and find a little hole and set up and shoot. Of coarse there are the idiots that bring there garbage out and shoot at it then leave it to mess up the land. That is the main type of idiot that I run into.
Link Posted: 3/19/2001 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#50]
I work at a range on my days off. I have seen a lot of dumb things (and have done some dumb things). You have to remember that new inexperienced shooters are very nervous and are intimidated by all the rules but usually are trying to do the right thing. The old holier than thou attitude should be left at the front gate.  We as experienced shooters are obligated to "patiently", share our knowledge with all so that they shoot safely and have a great time.

If this entails explaining what guns we are shooting or the reason we observe certain rules that make no sense to the inexperienced shooter then so be it.

Debating "contrails", is optional.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top