Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2002 6:29:26 AM EDT
Objects do not possess things.

hence, "Advice on ARs" is correct...while
"Advice on AR's" is not!

Just because a word SOUNDS like another word does NOT mean it's spelled the same!

muzzle BRAKE, not muzzle BREAK!
LEGAL, not LEAGLE!
RIFLE, not RIFEL!

JFHC!  If Johnny can't read, how the hell can he be trusted with a deadly weapon?  

/rant

Quiet(X-is-not-a-Goddamn-signature)Shooter
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:02:47 AM EDT
[#1]
A-MEN!

And before someone chimes in with, "Well, what difference does it make?": The same difference it would make if you showed up at a job interview in a dirty t-shirt.

"I am patient with ignorance...but not with those who are proud of it"
Eleanor Roosevelt
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:13:18 AM EDT
[#2]
What's up with you? Angry english teacher or something? We're here as brothers in arms. Not as non constructive critics. You got "nuthin" better to do but get angry over misspelled words here? The bottom line in communication is in the understanding.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:19:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Many mens lives have been saved by people who are not linguists,I don't care if my back up can spell good, just that I understand him/her..
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:23:02 AM EDT
[#4]
kevf7,

don't forget little pup, that presentation counts as well. just like that dirty t-shirt interview thing up above.

it just looks more convincing when you present topics clearly.  just like they used to airbrush the hairs out of cindy crawford's face mole before they put her on the cover of those pesky women's magazines.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:29:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Chickenshit.....Did I spell that right
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:33:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I take exception to the "terminally stupid" comment, but not the grammar instruction.

The overall poor state of grammar is due [i]precisely[/i] to the attitude of "understanding is the bottom line."  That's how English has been taught in schools since the 1960's, at least.  Now we're seeing the results.  It doesn't matter if you can't spell and your grammar is atrocious - as long as you [i]feel good[/i] about yourself, and can be understood.

Of course, the fact that lousy spelling and bad grammar make you appear to be a few I.Q. points short of average shouldn't have any effect on how you [i]feel[/i].  

What was it I read the other day?

"100 years ago students were taught Latin and Greek in High School.  Now we teach remedial English in college."
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:36:26 AM EDT
[#7]
So illiterate people can't be trusted with guns QuietShootr?  Tell ya what, I have known alot of people who were a little under the power curve when it came to schoolastics that I would rather have in my corner than most college educated idiots.  Common sense and education are two completely different things.  I can't believe someone on this board would even post a comment like that.  I too find myself mentaly editing some peoples posts, but does that make them incompetent with a firearm?  Not in my opinion.  I agree that when debating with the anti-gun crowd, a degree of intelligence should be shown, along with being interviewed by the newspaper, teaching a class, etc.  When hanging out with my friends, however, (I consider this board to be hanging out with friends, as well as actually gathering with them) my grammer slips, my vulgarity usually tends to rise, and a slight southern accent starts to appear.  This is why we hang out with friends, they dont judge us for it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:37:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Sorry, just a country boy pipefitter who isn't the best speller or typist. Still glad to be here! Was not by far my first misspelled or typed word and sure it wont be my last. Are we allowed to use Slang, or dialect in here?
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:43:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
kevf7,

don't forget little pup, that presentation counts as well. just like that dirty t-shirt interview thing up above.

it just looks more convincing when you present topics clearly.  just like they used to airbrush the hairs out of cindy crawford's face mole before they put her on the cover of those pesky women's magazines.
View Quote

While we're at it, then, it is usually considered correct to CAPITALIZE the first word of a sentence, as well as names and proper nouns.  That would normally be accomplished using the key marked "Shift" on the keyboard thingy.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:46:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Whassamatter QueitShootr ole bud? Laxative not workin again? This aint no job interview and you aint no god. Are you suffering under that delusion that people have to live to your standard. Been there, done that. Get over it and you will be a better person for the experience.  In a perfect world we would all speak and write the kangs english perfectly. Get a clue.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:46:17 AM EDT
[#11]
It's no big thing, he prolly woke up on teh wrong side of teh bed this morning.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:46:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Oh, and doesn't "shooter" usually come with an "E" in it, or are phonetic equivalents allowed and considered beyond the purview of the spelling and grammar nazis?  
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:56:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Rolling on the floor laughin' my ass off.
"What we have hea is falua to communicate"
Funny aint it? Everyone here knows exactly what the others meant.
Ya'll smart ones can represent us in the media and such, and we''l just be yo're good o'l boy friends now ya hea?
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:58:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Thank you so much for your .2 cents Mr.Adolf Hitler. Now go back to whatever rock you came from you dirtbag and stay there. We dont need any more narrow minded Nazis here! [pissed]
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 8:00:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
(snip)when it came to schoolastic (snip).......(snip)my grammer slips(snip)
View Quote

Sorry, garheadjr, just couldn't resist the obvious here.
schoolastic? (scholastic)
grammer?  (grammar)
Is your spell check function not working? It is always best to reply to grammar and spelling posts using correct English, unless one wishes to merely reinforce the original writer's position.
*giggles, braces herself for the attack of the non spellers*
[:P] [:D]
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 8:22:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Momma always said "stupid is as stupid does"
Hey how many people here buy pencils without erasers?
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Momma always said "stupid is as stupid does"
Hey how many people here buy pencils without erasers?
View Quote
i dont no when teh last time i gots me any pensells!
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 9:49:08 AM EDT
[#18]
I think that all that is being asked is that people read what they write before they send. Or at least use the edit button. Just catch the bad stuff...

That being said this forum is not expected to follow formal grammatical standards as it is informal (similar to personal emails) and writing as you speak is the norm. Nothing wrong with that.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 10:10:15 AM EDT
[#19]

QuietShooter,

I agree bro'.  My pet peeve is when people don't know the difference between:

their
they're
there

or:

you're
your

They sound the same, but they mean different things.

Link Posted: 2/22/2002 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#20]
If your biggest problem in life is where someone else puts an apostrophe, then you've got it made.

Let us muddle through our pathetic lives without your insights.  We'll probably both be happier.

You can use the time saved to proof read your own paragraphs.

Link Posted: 2/22/2002 1:11:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Gezzzzzz someone needs to get a life.....
I hope I selled this right..
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 1:13:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Objects do not possess things.

hence, "Advice on ARs" is correct...while
"Advice on AR's" is not!

View Quote

Well, you got the point on "ARs" correct, but for the wrong reason.  It's not because an AR can't possess something, it's because "AR" is an abbreviation.  A house, car and tire cannot "possess" something, but it would still be correct to say "a house's roof", "a car's tire" and "the tire's tread".

The following defines the rules pretty well:

Apostrophe.
The most common way to form a possessive in English is with apostrophe and s: "a hard day's night." After a plural noun ending in s, put just an apostrophe: "two hours' work" (i.e., "the work of two hours"). If a plural doesn't end in s — children, men, people — plain old apostrophe-s: "children's," "men's," "people's." It's never "mens'" or "childrens'."
There's also the opposite case: when a singular noun ends in s. That's a little trickier. Most style guides prefer s's: James's house. Plain old s-apostrophe (as in James' house) is common in journalism, but most other publishers prefer James's. It's a matter of house style.

Note that the possessives of pronouns never get apostrophes: theirs, not their's; hers, not her's; its, not it's. See It's versus Its.

Apostrophes are sometimes used to make acronyms or other abbreviations plural (another matter of a local house style). My preference: don't use apostrophes to make abbreviations plural — not "They took their SAT's," but "They took their SATs." The only exception is when having no apostrophe might be confusing: "Two As" is ambiguous; make it "Two A's." Never use apostrophes as quotation marks to set off words or phrases (unless you need a quotation within a quotation).

To refer to a decade, don't use an apostrophe before the s. Refer to the 1960s or the '60s (the apostrophe indicates that "19" has been omitted), not the 1960's or (worse) the '60's.

ITS versus IT'S, now THAT's a hot topic![;)]
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#23]
As this sites OFFICIAL Spelling and Grammar Nazi, I am entrusted with the oversight of these matters in this forum.

I hereby declare some lattitude will be allowed for spelling and grammatical errors to all posters, EXCEPT those who complain about other posters  spelling and grammar errors.

This after all, only an internet board.

Just don't let me catch you talking in the real world the way you type.

[:D]
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 2:06:31 PM EDT
[#24]
And when I see [b]"prolly"[/b] I think that I would [b]probably[/b] hit them on the side of the head with my Tactical Dictionary if they were close.

(Hey! I fix it when it's wrong!)[BD]
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
As this sites OFFICIAL Spelling and Grammar Nazi, I am entrusted with the oversight of these matters in this forum.
View Quote

That's "site's", you pathetic excuse for a Grammar Nazi. [:p]
This after all, only an internet board.
View Quote

You forgot to verb that . . . that . . . THING!  ARGH! [pissed]

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 2:19:08 PM EDT
[#26]
QuietShootr,

I guess that [b]YOUR[/b] glass house has been totally destroyed.
In English, [b]THERE[/b] is no such word as quietshooter, either as a proper noun or a normal noun. Nor is [b]THERE[/b] an adjective called quietshootr.
The proper spelling is quiet shooter.
So clean up the glass shards before you get shards from your foot in your mouth.

[smoke]
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#27]
This is just my opinion, of course (and we all know about opinions), but there's a right way and a wrong way to spell every word. Not spelling a word the right way is like saying 2+2=5 - they're both wrong, and that alone should make you strive to do it correctly. If you don't know how to spell properly, you should learn. Everyone can spell correctly if they make the effort - there's no arcane knowledge required, you don't have to sell your soul or firstborn, and you won't come across as uneducated.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Chickenshit.....Did I spell that right
View Quote

Yes, but you need to work on your punctuation!
(?)
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Well I say

lpseropstklhmDDY%^%^^)*(^YTYVGUVCV%EW&(KOKMNVGYX$%CVYIVGGY&(TFYVIH,kmnpo8uy-940-jergprg9qioerjh0t8943u9hjhreiojwpoeru90er5tjheioprujher.

There!
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#30]
You need to get some reynolds wrap(because i can't spell aluminum) form it into a cone.  Then take some rubber bands(attach them to the cone),and put this on your head.  This should help with the pain,and help in keeping everyone away from you!!!!!!!.........
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 4:25:32 PM EDT
[#31]
This was meant as a joke right? Nobody here could be this big of a dork....
.....right?  
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The bottom line in communication is in the understanding.
View Quote
Somebody once told me that the way to understanding was through proper grammar, spelling, and word usage.

I am not expecting perfection, but please have some minimum standard and check for errors before submitting a post.

[Edited because he also mentioned conciseness.]
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#33]
While "if you were, because you're not", would jazz up the discussion, here's a bit of entertainment on the subject:

1.  It was the first day on campus for the young Aggie graduate of Texas A & M who had somehow been accepted into Harvard's MBA program.

Attempting to familiarize himself with the campus, he inquired of some upperclassmen, "Pardon me, but could you please tell me where the library is at."

One of the upperclassmen immediately proceeded to criticize his Texas accent and informed him that here at Harvard ending a sentence with a preposition is unacceptable English.

The Aggie replied that the accent would take some work, but the use of a preposition should not be a difficult task.

"Now," he said, "Can you please tell me where the Library is at,.........ASSHOLE!"

2.  Johnny had been the custodian, janitor, and fix it man for St. Margaret's Church for years, but he had to leave the job when the Priest informed him The Church would be getting a new furnace along with electricity.  Since Johnny could neither read nor write, he would be unable to keep track of the paperwork, interpret the gauges, etc.

So Johnny bid farewell to his old job and decided to go into the delivery business.
Soon one pair of horses and one wagon grew into several and then several more. Trucks were added when they became available and Johnny's business continued to grow.

An old friend from out of state stopped by to say hello one day and was taken aback by Johnny's business operation.

"Look at this, look at this," he exclaimed. "So successful, such a business, look at all the trucks."

"Just think Johnny, all this and from someone who never learned to read or write.  Just think what you could have done if you'd been educated."

Johnny says, "I have thought about that.  I'd still be the janitor of St Margaret's Church."
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 6:57:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

[size=6]It's sites[/size=6]

[b]Did you not read the [i]first[/i] post on this thread?[/b]
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 8:39:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

The Spelling and Grammar Nazi which belongs to this site is "this site's Spelling and Grammar Nazi".

[b]71-Hour_Achmed[/b] was right. G-man you've just been dethroned.  All hail [b]71-Hour_Achmed[/b] - this site's new Spelling and Grammar Nazi! [;)]
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 7:27:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
QuietShootr,

I guess that [b]YOUR[/b] glass house has been totally destroyed.
In English, [b]THERE[/b] is no such word as quietshooter, either as a proper noun or a normal noun. Nor is [b]THERE[/b] an adjective called quietshootr.
The proper spelling is quiet shooter.
So clean up the glass shards before you get shards from your foot in your mouth.

[smoke]
View Quote

Funny...I checked my dictionary for 'Hydguy' and couldn't find a single entry.  Asshole.

Link Posted: 2/25/2002 8:00:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

QuietShooter,

I agree bro'.  My pet peeve is when people don't know the difference between:

their
they're
there

or:

you're
your

They sound the same, but they mean different things.

View Quote

Mine is when the word "loose" (opposite of "tight") is used for "lose" (opposite of win or to misplace something).

Example:  I need to loose a few pounds.

Just my two cents.  Not flaming anybody nor acting as a grammar Nazi.

*edited for clarification*
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 9:19:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Pronounciation  or Pronunciation??????

Grammar, The art of speaking or writing with correctness or according to ESTABLISHED
usage.

“Difficult English!!”

The bandage was wound around the wound.

The farm was used to produce produce.

The dump was so full that it had to refuse more refuse.

We must polish the Polish furniture.

He could lead if he would get the lead out.

The soldier decided to desert his dessert in the desert.

Since there is no time like the present, he thought it was time to present the present.

A bass was painted on the head of the bass drum.

When shot at, the dove dove into the bushes.

I did not object to the object.

The insurance was invalid for the invalid.

There was a row among the oarsmen about how to row.

They were too close to the door to close it.

The buck does funny things when the does are present.

A seamstress and a sewer fell down into a sewer line.

To help with planting, the farmer taught his sow to sow.

The wind was too strong to wind the sail.

After a number of injections my jaw got number.

Upon seeing the tear in the painting I shed a tear.

I had to subject the subject to a series of tests.

How can I intimate this to my most intimate friend?
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 10:23:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

[:D]

View Quote

The Spelling and Grammar Nazi which belongs to this site is "this site's Spelling and Grammar Nazi".

[b]71-Hour_Achmed[/b] was right. G-man you've just been dethroned.  All hail [b]71-Hour_Achmed[/b] - this site's new Spelling and Grammar Nazi! [;)]
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top