Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2002 9:52:32 PM EDT
[IMG]http://a1569.g.akamai.net/f/1569/6097/1d/www.military.com/pics/WP_02feb15_9.jpg[/IMG]

A Navy SEAL (Sea Air Land) observes munitions being destroyed, Feb. 12, 2002. The SEALs discovered the munitions while conducting a Sensitive Site Exploitation (SSE) mission in Eastern Afghanistan. Navy Special Operations Forces are conducting missions in Afghanistan in support Operation Enduring Freedom. (U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate 1st Class Tim Turner)
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 2:43:50 AM EDT
[#1]
"Sensitive Site Exploitation"?  Do I really want to comment on this?  [sex]
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 6:06:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Okey-doke now what's the optic?
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:52:25 AM EDT
[#3]
That reminds me of an M4.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 7:52:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

That was going to be my question....

Almost looks like an Aimpoint, but I can't be sure. What threw me off was how far back on the flat top the site is.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 1:14:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is an M68 sight or Comp M XD with the Rail Grabber mount, he also has the detactable carrying handle on the 3 o clock Picatinny rail on the RAS, at the 6 o clock position is an older Surefire light.

Edited for the damn spelling [:)]
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 1:38:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 6:18:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Thought that it might be Park City Ut. Possibly a member of the biathalon team or something.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 6:52:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That is an M68 sight or Comp M XD with the Rail Grabber mount, he also has the detactable carrying handle on the 3 o clock Picatinny rail on the RAS, at the 6 o clock position is an older Surefire light.

Edited for the damn spelling [:)]
View Quote

OK but where's the vertical adjust knob?  The length and proportions seem right but the mount would be flimsy (at least compared to my GGG) and I still don't see either adjust knob.  Even if it was flipped ninety degrees you oughta be able to see at least the knob on top.  I've got a selection of Aimpoint ML's and XD's but this one doesn't really look like one.  And it's sure mounted WAAAY back on the upper.  Put your nose on the charging handle and that sight's gonne be RIGHT HERE!

**Edited to say whatever it is it's back in the position I mount my AN/PVS14.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 5:05:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Arock....

[url]http://jccc.afis.osd.mil/LBOX/full/443823.jpg[/url]

Link Posted: 2/24/2002 6:05:36 AM EDT
[#10]
tuuka
That is a AA cell Mag light at 6 o'clock.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 6:17:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I can see it is a M68 with the pic in the link. But why does he have it so far back?
Mine is way up front, as far as it will go. That way the sight just sort of dissapears and you have the floating red dot of death in your vision.

-elliott
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 6:49:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Yep...Roger

That is a standard Aimpoint Comp-M mounted on a railgrabber without spacer.

The Light is a standard Mini Mag-Light you can buy at wallmart mounted with a flashlight mount from TRGear (www.trgear.com).

Carry handle is mounted on the MWS at the 3 o-clock.

Pretty poor way to set up the weapon...but to each his own.

RLTW
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 7:00:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Arock....

[url]http://jccc.afis.osd.mil/LBOX/full/443823.jpg[/url]

View Quote

Tuukka...thanks for the BIG picture!  It certainly IS an M68.  Now I gotta try moving mine back to cranial conflict position and see how it works.

BTW in finer detail I can make out his two friends on the ledge below but wonder who the two Men In Black in the snow are.  SAS maybe?  Lots of tracks off the footpath lower left.  Looks like the operators expected a larger secondary explosion than they got.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm no SEAL but is that not a strange assed set up?? What is the point of having the carry handle there? Just as back-up? Also SURELY he could do better than a AA mini mag one would think... That is just a little goofy IMHO.

Each to their own I guess. He is out doing it for real so I guess it works, eh? Mine is stripped to the bare essentials but admittedly it has only been out of the trunk on calls maybe 4 times...
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 8:49:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm no SEAL but is that not a strange assed set up?? What is the point of having the carry handle there?
View Quote

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe so he would not lose it or something.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#16]
LOL...Geez, some of you armchair warriors need to curb your criticisms. I don't care how dressed up your civilian AR is with the latest from Suburban Consumer Tactical Supplies and Sporting Goods, or how good you are at your Friday Night TacOps Practice and Pizza Bash with your fellow Entry Team members from the local Office Depot, the fact is very few, if any, of us on this forum has any kind of experience in the matter. We're not looking at a picture of a fresh recruit out of boot camp here, and we don't know the reasons behind the setup of that SEAL's weapon, assuming the caption is correct and he is a SEAL. It goes beyond "Well, I wouldn't set up my weapon that way, but to each his own." Let's leave the professional work, and criticisms, to professionals. Fair enough?    
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 9:38:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Ain't nuthin' wrong with a little speculation every once in a while.

You've got to admit it's a peculiar placement for the carry handle... Hopefully someone will have some informations as to while it might be there. I have no idea.
Link Posted: 2/24/2002 11:20:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm no SEAL but is that not a strange assed set up?? What is the point of having the carry handle there?
View Quote

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe so he would not lose it or something.
View Quote

accurate "gangsta" style shooting.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 12:05:08 AM EDT
[#19]
buddha hit the nail on the head. you may be gadget-whores who measure your manhood by the amount of shi-ite hanging on your M4s but you've never tried to get lithium sure-fire batteries in the 3rd world but ya know what... the ships exchange is damn sure going to have AAs. and when he breaks that aimpoint. or a buddy breaks an aimpoint he'll have his handle without having to dig in his ruck. and whats with speculating on the people in the background? goddamn over romantacizing it. "maybe their SAS" yeah maybe they're ninjas, yeah thats the ticket.

people who know use what works, not what looks cool.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 12:16:45 AM EDT
[#20]
That's some beautiful looking country.  If those idiots would stop shooting at each other and shut down the herion ops, they could probably make some good money by building a ski-lift or 20.

Link Posted: 2/25/2002 4:27:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I will bet it's just a convenient way for him to carry his back-up rear sight. He doesn't has any web gear on to stow it. Also interesting is that he had a tac folder in his right front pant's pocket.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey Budda, in case you did not notice this is a GUN DISCUSSION FORUM... I, like the others here, had questions, comments, opinions and I DISCUSSED them... Imagine that... If this site is to be limited to only those who actually USE their weapons in their chosen carreer that's fine by me, it would not rule me out. How about you?

By the way, the entry team I work with (at least 1 door breached a week, frequently more) is the County's Violent Crimes / Narcotics Task Force... Who are you doing entries with?

DvlDog, don't know about you but the only thing my AR has on it is a sling.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#23]
The reason he has the sight mounted so far back likely has something to so with him being myopic.  By decreasing the distance between his eye and the sight he obtains a greatly increased field of view through that eye.  This would be of particular importance if he is indeed right eye dominant to the extent that his left eye is barely used if at all.  The way he has the rifle slung and the location of his Gerber tool and tactical folder indicate the shooter is a righty.  It is likely he suffers from amblyopia, which is a genetic defect, or has at some point in the past suffered trauma to his left eye.
Link Posted: 2/25/2002 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
buddha hit the nail on the head. you may be gadget-whores who measure your manhood by the amount of shi-ite hanging on your M4s but you've never tried to get lithium sure-fire batteries in the 3rd world but ya know what... the ships exchange is damn sure going to have AAs. and when he breaks that aimpoint. or a buddy breaks an aimpoint he'll have his handle without having to dig in his ruck. and whats with speculating on the people in the background? goddamn over romantacizing it. "maybe their SAS" yeah maybe they're ninjas, yeah thats the ticket.

people who know use what works, not what looks cool.
View Quote

F'in troll.  I've only seen you flame in your posts.  When you actually have something to say about the topic, then maybe you should post.

These fine people are exploring reasons for the setup that is shown, what did you contribute to the thread?  Nothing?  Thought so.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 2:38:28 AM EDT
[#25]
im not a troll at all and i pick up a lot of good knowledge from the diverse membership of these boards but damn. that guy has got his ass in the grass hanging it out there so the rest of us can enjoy our way of life and people want to ridicule the way he has chosen to configure his gear. WTF? im not big on posting but somtimes a topic moves me to speak. so while using 550 cord to tie your sling to your sightpost, or using a scope ring to secure a maglight may not be sexy enough for you guys you can get that stuff when youre embarked. WHICH by the way is how i contributed to the discussion. by pointing out that sure-fire batteries cant be had in 3rd world shit holes and men in the field lose detachable handles like they were free. i'm with Five-O. all you need is a sling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top