Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2002 12:10:55 PM EDT
I have to do a project for a statistics class and would like to do it on gun control. My question is: "Do gun control laws actually make it safer in the streets?" With this question, [b]I need sources[/b] that give me data. Then, I can conclude if gun control works (wich we all know some don't) or not.

For example, in 19xx, the banning of assault weapons took place. in 19xx + 1, there was an equal amount of deaths by guns than the previous year, so the assault weapons ban didn't affect anything.
All I need is sources. Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 12:43:45 PM EDT
[#1]
John Lott did a comprehensive statistical study and wrote a book called [i]More Guns, Less Crime[/i] that addressed this very subject.  If I remember correctly he collected crime statistics from all the counties of all 50 states to write the book.  Try looking for it at the library.  Of course if you are in Kali. then it may be banned.  Also try the NRA site and some of these sites:
[url]www.nra.org[/url]
[url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[url]http://www.guncite.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.gunowners.org/fs9901.htm[/url]

Good Luck!

Link Posted: 2/21/2002 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You might check the NRA website, and the SAF website. Whatever you do, stay away from the Brady bunch and VPC for unbiased facts. The VPC clearly believes that owning a gun is not an individual right, and they will try to impress you with a whole book of claims and facts that have no foundation in reality. We all know from experience that criminals have guns and will always get them because they work outside the law. We Americans, who are good citizens have been paying the price for these criminal acts, by losing many rights to own weapons for sport and above all self defense from violent criminals who carry illegal guns. No gun law can ever keep a gun out of a criminals hands, only ours.
View Quote

I think you need to go to VPC and other gun grabber sites.  

a) It needs to sound "fair and balance"
b) thier statistics prove gun control doesn't work.  They just interpret them wrong.

You can also get statistics from the Guberment, but you have to be careful for what they count.  Sometimes child means 0-20.9 years old, and other times it means 0-16 years old.

The site is not easy to use, but might be helpful.
[url]www.fbi.gov/ucr/ucrquest.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Just beware the absolute nonsense that can appear to be "proven" with statistics (see my signature line below).  For example:

U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services:

Number of physicians in the US: 700,000.
Accidental deaths caused by physicians per year: 120,000.
Accidental deaths per physician.... 0.171
Number of gun owners in the US: 80,000,000.
Number of accidental gun deaths per year (all age groups): 1,500.
Accidental deaths per gun owner: 0.0000188

Statistically, doctors are approximately 9,000
times more dangerous than gun owners.

Here are a few sites:
[url]http://www.guntruths.com/[/url]
[url]http://www.afn.org/~ncfsa/gunstats.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 5:59:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey I have done several pro-gun research papers.
I'll e-mail them to you if you think they will be a help.

Personally I think every gun owner should read John Lott's book as much as every Christian should read the Bible!

Believe it or Not, "Mores Guns, Less Crime" By John Lott, was in our Liberal democrat southern state university libary.

Good Luck
[email protected]

PS GUNS MAGAZINE had an article about how The pistol ban in Great Brittan raised armed crime 10% each year after the ban, and the # of illegal guns poured into the nation!
it was spet, october or Nov 2001 issue!
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, a careful reading of gun control statistics will usually reveal that they actually show that gun control doesn't work. For example, some like to cite the one or two times that a CCW holder was charged with a crime, in an attempt to give CCW holders a bad name. Of course, the rate at which CCW holders commit crimes is much, much lower then the rate at which non-CCW holders commit crimes. Make sure you check out Gary Kleck's study too. (Northwestern University School of Law, Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology, vol. 86, issue 1, 1995.).
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#7]
I sent you the DOJ Assault Rifle Ban Results study by direct email. If you need anything specific, let me know as I probably have it. British studies might be helpful as well. I have some of those kicking around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top