Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2009 7:39:22 PM EDT
Any input?  Is this a waste of time and money?

Max
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Used them for moving and storage. Very successful. No damaged inventory and they brought it out and picked it up as scheduled. Thumbs up.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Kihn,

Thanks for the reply.  Did you do an instate move or out of state move?

Thanks again.

Max
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:51:28 PM EDT
[#3]
It was an instate move and had all my stuff stored for about 1.5 years. Used the large unit for two bedrooms, dining, living and kitchen stuff plus outdoor stuff (everything I owned) in there with a little room to spare. When I unpacked it everything was fine including an entertainment unit with inlaid glass in the doors. No breakage from pick-up to a move about 45 miles away. I was surprised. I spent a lot of time on packing it and insulating everything with packing blankets and cardboard though and securing it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:00:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used them three times to move my entire house. There were absolutely no problems and it was nice to have the container there for an extended period of time for proper loading.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:12:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I liked the concept so much that I went and did it with a full size ISO container.

Price out what you costs are going to be, and be damned sure that you know how much space the stuff you are packing is going to take. We were off by about 50% in packing out house. If we had done out move with PODS the cost would of been much higher, than the ISO container. Of course you can't drop a 40 foot container in front of a house with a HOA either.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Used it for storage and moving worked fine.  Only two things I did not like:

1. They do not let you store/move firearms or ammo in the POD, I stored ammo in it anyway but took it out before moving.

2.  Charge me $1000.00 for move crossing state lines!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#7]
According to a former coworker that used to work in HR handling relocations for IBM, PODS was terrible to deal with, but still much better than anyone else nationally that they dealt with.  She had a lot of moving horror stories.  She said that when she left IBM, they were looking at a few companies that provide smaller containers that are the size of a car so they could be more easily placed in driveways or garages at houses with an HOA or in apartment complexes.  I don't know who provides those, but finding one of them would be more convienent if the size of a POD is a problem.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:26:29 AM EDT
[#8]
How much did the PODS cost and what size containers do they normally leave?

For my next move, I think I'm just going to buy a standard or insulated 20' container, have it delivered, fill it up at my schedule, then have it picked up and delivered to my new location.  Then I'd still have a 20' container to turn into a zombie-proof shed or outbuilding or whatever.

Merlin
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:37:22 AM EDT
[#9]
When I was working in Afghanistan I ordered one to store my stuff in. No problems at all. It arrived on the day and time they said it would. Driver got it right up to my door. They left it there for the agreed on 48 hours, I packed it, and they came and got it and put it in indoor storage for me. I think it was like $150 a month for it to be stored inside in a climate controlled environment.  A couple of time when I was home on breaks I just called the storage center and they had it outside waiting for me when I needed to get into it.

I liked it so much I checked into a franchise. I needed wayyy more money to start a franchise.

Aviator
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:44:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I saw a POD that fell off its truck on I95 the other day.  The contents were all over the road as the container spontaneously deconstructed itself.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:49:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I know they say 'no firearms' but it does seem like a good way for those with larger collections. If you had other stuff in there as well, and if I understand it you put your own lock on as well- so how would they ever know?

Wouldn't surprise me if they used/allowed sniffer dogs in their facilities though- seems like an ideal way to move drugs.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 3:54:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Friend of mine used it . it worked well for him . he move from Ga. to near Nashville Tn.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:22:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Brother in law used it for LA to IN move. theys tuffed it to the gills. no problems whatsoever, all as advertised.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 4:44:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm sitting in a conex box at work struggling to keep warm, is that at all helpful?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:11:33 AM EDT
[#15]
They work great, they picked up and delivered as promised.  Get more POD than you think you will need, we ended up throwing out a bunch of stuff becuase we ran out of room.  My wife cried.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:31:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Use SmartBox - NOT "Pods."  

The "Pods" were the 1st WIDESPREAD company to make use fo the concept & now they are the best-know.

BUT - WAY overpriced.  It is like doing all your grocery shopping at SevenEleven.

Smartbox allows ammo (ask me how I know).  I would NEVER leave a gun under anyone else's control; they stayed with me the entire time).

Instead of steel, the Smartbox boxes are WOOD but covered so well with vinyl that they stayed dry during very heavy down-pours here last summer.  Their delivery time occurred on the day promised, though not the correct hour - so be warned.

Side note: I got a city-permit to "park" the boxes in front of our old condo. Then I extended it for 3 days.  A pissed-off liberal neighbor left me a "nasty-gram" about how I was supposedly over the limit of the permit, how I should show some consideration, and (this is the best part) I "deserved a ticket for each parking space" I was supposedly unlawfully blocking.

Quoted:

1. They do not let you store/move firearms or ammo in the POD, I stored ammo in it anyway but took it out before moving.

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:40:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Use SmartBox - NOT "Pods."  

The "Pods" were the 1st WIDESPREAD company to make use fo the concept & now they are the best-know.

BUT - WAY overpriced.  It is like doing all your grocery shopping at SevenEleven.

Smartbox allows ammo (ask me how I know).  I would NEVER leave a gun under anyone else's control; they stayed with me the entire time).

Instead of steel, the Smartbox boxes are WOOD but covered so well with vinyl that they stayed dry during very heavy down-pours here last summer.  Their delivery time occurred on the day promised, though not the correct hour - so be warned.

Side note: I got a city-permit to "park" the boxes in front of our old condo. Then I extended it for 3 days.  A pissed-off liberal neighbor left me a "nasty-gram" about how I was supposedly over the limit of the permit, how I should show some consideration, and (this is the best part) I "deserved a ticket for each parking space" I was supposedly unlawfully blocking.

Quoted:

Thanks I will check these guys out as well.

Max
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top