Page / 2
Posted: 11/4/2009 11:51:53 AM EDT
Simple question.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#1]
iirc depends on state
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:52:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Will probably depend on the state.  Here you cannot have an open container in a vehicle or on most public property.  A drunk passenger may be distracting to the driver?  I don't f'ing know, I think the driver can drink in some states.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:53:02 AM EDT
[#3]
The temptation would be too strong?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#4]
It's illegal in WV.

I couldn't tell you why though.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#5]
In Texas it is. youll get cited for an Open Container. Some cops will go so far to even ticket (or harass you at the least)  for empty cans/bottles that you may have rolling around in the back of a pickup. A buddy if mine damn near got a MIP and an OC for empty cans in the bed back in highschool when he borrowed his dads truck.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe becaue the road is owned by the public, the public doesn't want open containers in vehicles operating on their property, and there is no "you have the right to do whatever the fuck you want on public property" clause in the Constitution?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:57:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Hmm I see you've spawned a thread topic from mine . Come to Ct and drink in the car!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Probably to give them an opportunity to gig the driver for something like a DUI and he can't say it's his friends beer.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't think it has anything to do with passengers drinking, it's more to keep drivers from passing their drink to passengers if pulled over.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:01:00 PM EDT
[#11]
why in my state is it a ticket if your not wearing a helmet, or seat belt. stupid laws is all.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:02:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I always figured it was a way to shut a loophole for drivers.
"That is my passenger's beer, not mine!"
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Maybe becaue the road is owned by the public, the public doesn't want open containers in vehicles operating on their property, and there is no "you have the right to do whatever the fuck you want on public property" clause in the Constitution?

Sure there is, it's called the Tenth Amendment.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't think it has anything to do with passengers drinking, it's more to keep drivers from passing their drink to passengers if pulled over.

I'm sure that's it.  Of course, I don't have a problem with a driver drinking while driving as long as he does it safely.

/begin bashing and shitstorm
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:05:11 PM EDT
[#15]
So the driver can't hand his drink to the passenger, or have it where both of them can access it, and claim it's the passenger's drink, not his.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#16]
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Who gives a shit?

If the driver is drunk, he's drunk.  If he's not, then he's not.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:06:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

"These aren't my pants!"
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:08:07 PM EDT
[#19]
$500 ticket here in MA for any occupant with an open container of alchol
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:09:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who gives a shit?

It's appearantly much better for a driver to shotgun a can or two rather than drink while on the roll.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#21]
LOL I had a dream last night that I got pulled over by the cops and was drinking a beer.  I had an empty in my pocket too!

I guess it's so when the cop comes up to the window, he doesn't look in and see the passenger holding two beers.

"Don't mind him, he just gets real thirsty!"
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#22]
For some reason I thought Texas did not have an open container issue.

Is this something recent?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:36:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Here in TX, it it just a $35 dollar fine.  It is also one of the traffic laws that you can't be taken to jail for.  Supposedly they did it this way so it wouldn't interfere with tourism.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Doesn't matter here.

No such law IIRC.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I think it's something that came about long before roadside breathalyzer tests were available.  When you have no tools to measure impairment, it makes more sense to pass laws to outright ban alcohol consumption in the vehicle.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#26]

It was only a few years ago that Virginia made it illegal for the driver to drink.

Before that it would get you stopped for a DWI check, bt it was not illegal by itself.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Ours I think is a $50 fine.  The legislature when passed wanted to be tough on drunk driving but still have a minor fine so it wouldn't be a big deal if a passenger had a beer on the way back from the mountain

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I think it's something that came about long before roadside breathalyzer tests were available.  When you have no tools to measure impairment, it makes more sense to pass laws to outright ban alcohol consumption in the vehicle.

And yet, the law never went away after those tools become available.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No law ever seems to go away.  
 I think the single most valuable constitutional amendment possible would put a time limit on every law passed. Make it 10 years max, and then it has to be re-voted on or it simply expires.  For all of them.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:50:22 PM EDT
[#30]
In today's go-go busy society sometimes theres no way around doing some of your drinking in the car.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

No law ever seems to go away.    I think the single most valuable constitutional amendment possible would put a time limit on every law passed. Make it 10 years max, and then it has to be re-voted on or it simply expires.  For all of them.  

Can you imagine how full the Congress would have their hands just trying to keep up with expiring laws? They would never be able to pass any new legislation.

I mean, it would take probably a year or more reading line by line to get just through the tax laws. It would be awesome.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:51:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Hmm I see you've spawned a thread topic from mine . Come to Ct and drink in the car!

Yup!  I figured I hijacked yer thread enough.  
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#33]
"Oh, that wasn't mine, officer... it was my passenger's.  Hic!"
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:55:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Can you imagine how full the Congress would have their hands just trying to keep up with expiring laws? They would never be able to pass any new legislation.

I mean, it would take probably a year or more reading line by line to get just through the tax laws. It would be awesome.

It would be awesome, huh?  And who'd want to be a member of congress, that sounds way too much like work.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:59:20 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

and this is the real answer.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It would be awesome, huh?  And who'd want to be a member of congress, that sounds way too much like work.  

Why do you assume they would read them?
They haven't been reading the new stuff, much less the old.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 1:19:50 PM EDT
[#37]
But in many states these laws do not apply to limo drivers.  

If you're rich enough, you can have the laws made so that they only applies to "the little people".
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:12:51 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Simple question.

1) Makes it easier for the driver to claim 'that's not my beer'....

2) Makes it more likely, if everyone else in the car is drinking, that the driver will drink too...

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the single most valuable constitutional amendment possible would put a time limit on every law passed. Make it 10 years max, and then it has to be re-voted on or it simply expires.  For all of them.  

It would result in complete chaos on a national level, and not impact Open Container laws one bit, since these are state-level laws....

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:15:47 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

But in many states these laws do not apply to limo drivers.  

If you're rich enough, you can have the laws made so that they only applies to "the little people".

The reasons for having an OC law in a regular motor vehicle don't apply to a professional (licensed) limo driver who's passengers are drinking behind a glass partition...

Since the majority of bitching about 'Open Container' comes from log-heads, who haven't figured out 'don't drink and drive' means DO NOT EVER DRINK ANY AMOUNT AND DRIVE ANY DISTANCE, wanting to have 'road beers'...

There's really no sympathy in that department...

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who gives a shit?

I'm not one of the anti-DUI crusaders, just explaining the rationale.
Obviously, getting shitfaced and driving is bad, but I think DUI enforcement has been taken too far in some cases.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Since the majority of bitching about 'Open Container' comes from log-heads, who haven't figured out 'don't drink and drive' means DO NOT EVER DRINK ANY AMOUNT AND DRIVE ANY DISTANCE, wanting to have 'road beers'...

Which is why the legal maximum is .001%, right Dave?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#43]
It's not.  What the hell are you talking about?  

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Simple question.

1) Makes it easier for the driver to claim 'that's not my beer'....

2) Makes it more likely, if everyone else in the car is drinking, that the driver will drink too...

For what it's worth these problems don't seem to be rampant in Connecticut where open containers are fine, but don't let that ruin the party for everybody else.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Let's think about this for a sec. Why would someone outlaw open containers? Hmm, very interesting. Here's the way i see it...

A guy opens a beer 'cause he wants to feel all warm and toasty inside. Makes a man feel good. Of course it does. Why shouldn't it? You figure you put that beer under your pillow at night, the Beer Fairy might come down and leave a quarter, am i right?  

The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy. Well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. Next thing you know there's money missing off the dresser and your daughter is knocked up.

I've seen it a hundred times.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:01:57 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
In today's go-go busy society sometimes theres no way around doing some of your drinking in the car.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Probably to give them an opportunity to gig the driver for something like a DUI and he can't say it's his friends beer.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:05:10 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This would be perfect!

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

No they only recently changed in it NC.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It was only a few years ago that Virginia made it illegal for the driver to drink.

Before that it would get you stopped for a DWI check, bt it was not illegal by itself.

Wait, a passenger can have an open container in VA?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top