Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/4/2009 3:37:10 AM EDT
The network admin at my work thinks cell phones are for phone calls and is no help so I'm asking here.  I have had no problems setting up my web based email accounts to associate with. My BB however I can't seem to get my work email account set up which is arguably more important to me.

It's an Outlook system with a Microsoft exchange server.  I don't know how to aquire the information I need to setup the Blackberry.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:43:12 AM EDT
[#1]
The IT folks will likely need to add you to the BES server (BlackBerry Enterprise Server).  That may give you the access to the work email.  That's all it takes around here.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:03:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Note also that if you're already using personal email (i.e. Yahoo/Gmail/etc.) you'll also need to update your phone's data plan to be BES-enabled ("Enterprise email" as carriers call it), otherwise it won't work with your work email (unless you're connected via USB...but you won't get updates when non cabled).  This is also already assuming your IT admin has a BES deployed as mentioned previously.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:04:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:06:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:07:25 AM EDT
[#5]
You don't need to use BES.

A couple of the guys here at work have done it, let me ask one of them and get back to you.

Which Berry you get?

ETA: If you log into your carriers BIS you can't put the Email address and password in and have it work?  Or are you trying to do it from your phone.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:09:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Note also that if you're already using personal email (i.e. Yahoo/Gmail/etc.) you'll also need to update your phone's data plan to be BES-enabled ("Enterprise email" as carriers call it), otherwise it won't work with your work email (unless you're connected via USB...but you won't get updates when non cabled). This is also already assuming your IT admin has a BES deployed as mentioned previously.

not entirely true.

i am doing it without BES. mine also syncs calender updates wireless without it.

Nope, it's entirely not true.  

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:11:25 AM EDT
[#7]
8330 or 8335 I think.  Neither donuts or handjobs will get me anywhere with this guy I don't think.  No BES server here either.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:12:38 AM EDT
[#8]
All you need is the email server password, how you get that is up to you.  Also be sure to configure your work email NOT to delete forwarded mail from the server.  Unless, as TBS pointed out, your admin has you locked out of the configuration, then you're sol.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 4:17:13 AM EDT
[#9]
It looks like I can just create a rule for my outlook mailbox to forward all msgs received that's probably my best solution, thanks TBS.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 6:00:25 AM EDT
[#10]
If your employer's Exchange server has WebDAV enabled you can use it to access email and, I think, the calendar.  You'd need to know the WebDAV server settings.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:20:48 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Note also that if you're already using personal email (i.e. Yahoo/Gmail/etc.) you'll also need to update your phone's data plan to be BES-enabled ("Enterprise email" as carriers call it), otherwise it won't work with your work email (unless you're connected via USB...but you won't get updates when non cabled). This is also already assuming your IT admin has a BES deployed as mentioned previously.

not entirely true.

i am doing it without BES. mine also syncs calender updates wireless without it.

OP - You should have Blackberry INTERNET services (BIS), it's provided by your Mobile provider.

Check here for links to your specific page for your provider:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/blackberry101/setup.jsp#tab_tab_email

It's a webpage you login to that you use to setup the various email accounts on your blackberry.  You can also do it on the BB itself, but it's easier from the webpage.

There you can enter your OWA (Outlook Web Access) address, username, and password for your company email, and that should be it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 7:21:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It looks like I can just create a rule for my outlook mailbox to forward all msgs received that's probably my best solution, thanks TBS.

Ehh... it works, but it's FAR from the best. Your reads / changes / deletes won't be synced back to your work email. And you won't be able to send email via your work email account either.

check my post above.

Also, WTF is up with your IT guy?  Companies almost cannot function any more without some sort of mobile email solution.

You need a new IT guy.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 9:43:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Ehh... it works, but it's FAR from the best. Your reads / changes / deletes won't be synced back to your work email. And you won't be able to send email via your work email account either.
check my post above.
Also, WTF is up with your IT guy?  Companies almost cannot function any more without some sort of mobile email solution.
You need a new IT guy.

I can try your suggestion but I don't know what the server exchange address is or the network password or any of that.  

ETA:  My account is not accessible via html use your blackberry browser.  Which I've tried and failed.  It seems forwarding is my only option.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

check my post above.

Also, WTF is up with your IT guy? Companies almost cannot function any more without some sort of mobile email solution.

You need a new IT guy.

I can try your suggestion but I don't know what the server exchange address is or the network password or any of that.

ETA: My account is not accessible via html use your blackberry browser. Which I've tried and failed. It seems forwarding is my only option.

Your network password will be the same you use to login to your computer.

typically, your webmail is something like:

<a href="http://mail.<company-name>.com">http://mail.<company-name>.com</a> or .net or whatever you use.

Login with your username and password, the same username and password you use to login to your computer.

How do you check your email now?

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:47:35 AM EDT
[#15]
try mail.companyname.com/exchange
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:57:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

not entirely true.

OP - You should have Blackberry INTERNET services (BIS), it's provided by your Mobile provider.

It's a webpage you login to that you use to setup the various email accounts on your blackberry.  You can also do it on the BB itself, but it's easier from the webpage.

There you can enter your OWA (Outlook Web Access) address, username, and password for your company email, and that should be it.

This is how mine is set up (OWA) and it works for me just fine. I tried convincing my network admin to add BES to the email server, but it was cost- and labor- prohibitive, since there are only 2-3 guys I work with that have BB's right now (and he isn't one of them).
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 11:00:09 AM EDT
[#17]
You can also use the desktop redirector app.  

I prefer windows mobile devices.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

not entirely true.

It's a webpage you login to that you use to setup the various email accounts on your blackberry. You can also do it on the BB itself, but it's easier from the webpage.

This is how mine is set up (OWA) and it works for me just fine. I tried convincing my network admin to add BES to the email server, but it was cost- and labor- prohibitive, since there are only 2-3 guys I work with that have BB's right now (and he isn't one of them
).

FWIW - a regular plain ol non highly-available BES installation is easy.  Just install the software, run a couple commands on your exchange box, and you should be good to go.

Cake.

And once it's up and running, it works.  Occasionally an update screws things up but usually it's a permissions issue which can be solved quickly with a couple of powershell commands in exchange management shell.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top