Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2009 11:03:36 PM EDT

Hot Tubs Hurt 6,600 People Each Year
Injuries Double Over 18 Years

More than 6,600 people are injured each year by hot tubs, according to a new study.

The Center for Injury Research and Policy said in a news release that the number of injuries doubled from 1990 to 2007.

The study found that 73 percent of the people injured in hot tubs were older than 16. Approximately one-half of all injuries resulted from slips and falls.

Cuts were the most common injuries, usually to the legs and feet or the head.

But study author Lara McKenzie said that special attention needs to be paid to children, too, because they are more likely to suffer near drownings. Children 6 to 12 years old were also more likely to be injured jumping and diving into a hot tub.

The authors suggested placing slip-resistant surfacing in and around hot tubs and limiting exposure to 10 to 15 minutes at no more than 104 degrees.

McKenzie also said parents should keep hot tubs covered and locked when not in use, consider installing a fence or barrier around the area, set rules prohibiting jumping and diving and comply with suction cover standards.

The study was based on data in the National Electronic Injury Surveillance System, which is operated by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.

The study was published in the online issue of the American Journal of Preventive Medicine.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:05:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The world is a dangerous place.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#2]
We need MAHT(Muthas aginst Hot Tubs)...
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:06:15 PM EDT
[#3]
That probably doesn't even begin to include the STDs and other infections they spread.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:07:08 PM EDT
[#4]
There will undoubtedly be a Congressional inquiry into this, legislation passed overnight, and of course an amendment to the recent Hate Crimes Law to cover those who are victimized mercilessly by hot tubs.  

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:18:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That probably doesn't even begin to include the STDs and other infections they spread.

Ever heard them called "Cum Cauldrons"?
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:26:03 PM EDT
[#6]
What they aren't telling you is that about 25% of those injuries are from men sticking their penises in the holes where the water comes out...

I have a friend that used to be CS for a hot tub company and a good portion of the calls were from emergency personal needing information...
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:31:16 PM EDT
[#7]
...even the covers are dangerous.

I was up in the Smokies with a girl and we had a good laugh about the warnings the rental company wrote down about the hot tub. One of which was "Do not use the hot tub cover as a sled." I could only guess how someone managed to hurt themselves doing that.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:32:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Ban them....for the children.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:38:44 PM EDT
[#9]
It says most were caused by slips and falls so I wonder how many are injured taking showers then.  Ban cleaning yourself, it's for the children.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:40:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Hot tubs.

Boy, do I have some stories WRT hot tubs, alcohol, and drunk girls.

Of course, most of those events took place from 1978-1998.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 11:53:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It says most were caused by slips and falls so I wonder how many are injured taking showers then.  Ban cleaning yourself, it's for the children.

i would think that people are more likely to hot tub while drunk and subsequently loose their balance and slip and fall than compared to pools and such. What im saying is that im sure that alcohol plays into some part of those injuries.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 12:01:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i would think that people are more likely to hot tub while drunk and subsequently loose their balance and slip and fall than compared to pools and such. What im saying is that im sure that alcohol plays into some part of those injuries.

This. Hence the sign outside most of them.

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:17:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Can I get a Hot Tub vaccine???
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:26:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Ban them....for the children.

Bloomberg is sending NY special investigators to pool and patio shows this month to look for illegal dealers in hot tubs and pool pumps.  My home state is really jacking up his ghettos.  I feel like such a bad person that he needs to come save me all the way out here...

Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:28:27 AM EDT
[#15]
So how many millions of dollars were spent to tell me this crap???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top