Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2009 2:04:01 PM EDT
My daughter is 1 year old and we are thinking about getting her involved when she is 2 or 3, depending on interest.  Is any one here a product of Suzuki?  Are any parents doing this with their children?  I played piano as a kid, but it did not last long, probably 2 years.  I'm thinking guitar or violin, but I'd like to hear what you think.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_method

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:22:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I did the Suzuki method to learn piano as a kid. I also learned piano and trombone the conventional way.  I played piano for 5 years and trombone for 7. I found the Suzuki method much easier, and I could play almost anything I heard, but hated reading sheet music. I was that way my whole musical life. Even in high school I would refuse to practice my music, and just waited to hear the band teacher play it once to pick it up. It really depends on how your kid learns. I would give it a try.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#2]
For kids, the structure of it is perfect.  Lots of repetition and small incremental steps of increasing difficulty.  
For an adult, it is incredebly boring and there are more fun ways to learn music.

With my kids, I have found that any sooner than 4 is a waste of time.  I'd rather do something else with them like play house, teach them connect 4 or checkers, or just listen to their stories as we doodle with crayons to be more rewarding with those precious few hours before bed.  Sitting at a piano telling them to sit straight, concentrate, fingers on the keys, do it again, and again, and again until they cry just before bed just sucks.  It would take a 1 or 2 year old a few weeks what a four year old can do in a few hours.  And by the time they are 5, would be at the same level of skill anyway.  So why bother having to go through that torture when it would be so much enjoyable when their brains are more developed?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top