Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2009 4:12:40 AM EDT
So ... wife and I are not big TV watchers but it might be time for an upgrade. The one TV we have is a like a 17" bubble from 1990 - seriously. I'm not a videophile but I would like to get something that will last (as you can tell) and a good value ... in other words I don't want to drop 750 on a TV and then have it look jumpy / blurry (go big or go home )

The room is reasonably dark with no windows opposite the TV, and nice blinds on other windows so it can be darkened easily if needed.

Criteria: this is what I've narrowed it down to ...
Max dimensions - 39.25" W and 26.75" H (needs to fit in our armoire on a stand, will not be wall mounted)
Resolution - 1080p, please
LCD or Plasma - I can't find a plasma that fits in armoire so have been leaning toward LCD.
Screen Size - 32, 37 or 40. Currently leaning towards a 37
Brand - Unknown ... prefer something like Samsung, LG or Vizio
Usages - TV, streaming netflix, DVDs (non bluray - at least for now), possibly some xBox 360 games

Open questions!
Speakers - I don't plan on getting any additional speakers anytime soon - which brand has the best built in sound?
60 vs 120 hz (LCD) -  Which do I need? I googled it quite a bit and didn't find anything definitive. Some love it and some hate it.
HDMI cables - Is there a difference? Which ones are a good value to get?

What do you guys recommend? Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:22:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I just bought a 40" Toshiba Full HD LCD TV from CompUSA (my first flat screen TV), on sale for $599 ($200 off), and have been very pleased with it!

They also had the same thing in a 32" on sale for $399.

They are currently still on sale!
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4893170&sku=T24-4008%20BX

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:33:00 AM EDT
[#2]
wait until black Friday should be something out there, and that small isn't in much demand.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:36:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Black Friday ads are just starting to leak out...surely there will be some good deals on decent TVs.

FWIW, i just bought my parents a 40" Toshiba (it's their Christmas present) and it is an amazing TV, almost as nice as any Sony, LG, Samsung, etc...at a nice discount. Much nicer than my cheapo 42"

Speed
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:36:34 AM EDT
[#4]
LED if you have the Cash. Samsung has some nice ones.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:14:22 AM EDT
[#5]
i'd recommend buying from Sams with their 100% satisfaction guarantee.  costco used to have it for the life time of electronics, but started limiting their 100% satisfaction to 3 years about 2 years ago.  i'd keep a copy of their 100% guarantee and your receipt.  
as for plasma vs lcd, i like lcd screens more due to lower power consumption and heat generation.
ETA:
as for hdmi cables, get some 1.3b hdmi cables off amazon.com for about $1 with another dollar or two for shipping.  order 3 or 4 since they're cheap.  if you buy hdmi cables from best buy, expect to pay $20+ for a single cable.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:19:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
LED if you have the Cash. Samsung has some nice ones.

this
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:22:09 AM EDT
[#7]
A Samsung LED backlit model would be great. 120hz vs 60hz... eh, for 99% of what I watch the 60hz is fine, for some sports I enable the 120hz but for the most part it makes everything look weird (I am on my way out the door or else I would explain the technical reasoning behind it regarding framerates, etc).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top