Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/31/2009 5:56:53 PM EDT
The last month or so, I've been doing some serious thinking.  If my household was deep in debt and despite doing all I could to make payment, it was becoming obvious that was impossible... I would feel that I have one of two choices:

1.  Default (not an option for me personally)
2.  Sell some asset (a cabin, car, gun, some tools, whatever).

So, why shouldn't the Federal government consider the same thing?  We have some fantastic prime real estate.  There would be the obvious logistical challenges of moving/compensating citizens currently living in those areas, but surely the sale of these assets would go far to bring down the National Debt.

Heck, the "sale" could even include a long-term lease (or specific exemption) for Pearl Harbor for strategic & historical value.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#1]

and another

too much of our country is being sold as is.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

The last month or so, I've been doing some serious thinking.  If my household was deep in debt and despite doing all I could to make payment, it was becoming obvious that was impossible... I would feel that I have one of two choices:

So, why shouldn't the Federal government consider the same thing?  We have some fantastic prime real estate.  There would be the obvious logistical challenges of moving/compensating citizens currently living in those areas, but surely the sale of these assets would go far to bring down the National Debt.

Heck, the "sale" could even include a long-term lease (or specific exemption) for Pearl Harbor for strategic & historical value.

Thoughts?

USVI

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:03:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Close, but consider this-

If your family was broke and you had a wife that drove a $250,000 car and spent $5,000/month on clothing, you would do best to change the spending habits.  And sell the car.

Therefore I offer that we can sell Washington DC with all of it's 'furnishings' to whomever will haul it all off to their own country.I'd rather keep the USVI that WDC.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Auction off Iraq and Afghanistan to the highest bidder, two birds with one stone.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been to the USVI, now known as just the "USI". HEEEYYYOOOO!
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:10:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd love to cut Hawaii loose and watch all those racists dive deep into poverty
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't like it.

Like the previous poster said, the first thing you do when you realize you are in debt is change spending habits.  Reduce spending first.  That could go a long way.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#8]
We should sell Puerto Rico. As far as I know it's empty as San Juan relocated to the Bronx.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:24:54 PM EDT
[#9]
So a state can't secede, but it can be sold out of the union?  
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#10]
No, this isn't France.  We don't sell territory.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:40:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I concur that spending habits have to change.  The example of a wife driving a $250k car is spot-on.  Selling a pricey OCONUS asset will only put a bandaid on a sucking chest wound if spending doesn't stop.

But let's say a miracle happens and Congress stops pissing away our money.  We still have trillions in National Debt.

For those that reacted with sarcasm - what's your solution?  Do we just default?  Why should the Government not operate according to the same (general) rules under which we manage our homes and checkbooks?
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I concur that spending habits have to change.  The example of a wife driving a $250k car is spot-on.  Selling a pricey OCONUS asset will only put a bandaid on a sucking chest wound if spending doesn't stop.

But let's say a miracle happens and Congress stops pissing away our money.  We still have trillions in National Debt.

For those that reacted with sarcasm - what's your solution?  Do we just default?  Why should the Government not operate according to the same (general) rules under which we manage our homes and checkbooks?

One thing we don't do is essentially sell american citizens and their land to another nation.  You know Americans live there right?
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
One thing we don't do is essentially sell american citizens and their land to another nation.  You know Americans live there right?

We don't?  Does it say in the Constitution that we can buy territory, but not sell it?

Besides, Skillets, did you read my OP?

There would be the obvious logistical challenges of moving/compensating citizens currently living in those areas

Give people a choice to stay or move mainland.  Compensate those who wish to move.  <shrug>

If you still disagree, propose a solution.  I'm all ears eyes.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Honestly, I wouldn't call that "serious thinking".

You do realize States are sovereign.

The Virgin Islands can be self-governming with a proper election as can most unincorporated territories.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:53:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We don't?  Does it say that in the Constitution that we can buy territory, but not sell it?

There would be the obvious logistical challenges of moving/compensating citizens currently living in those areas

Give people a choice to stay or move mainland.  Compensate those who wish to move.  <shrug>

Hawaii is not a territory, its a state.  The V.I. is a different story.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The US has had debt as a percentage of GDP significantly higher in the past than it is today. Our current debt level had not come close to reaching panic levels.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I vote for USVI for personal reasons.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#19]
The USA is a business, those that hold excessive amounts of stock (dollars) made a bad investment, screw em.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It's territory (land owned by the US), and also officially a state... but now we're splitting hairs.  

So, the USVI and Puerto Rico... I suppose we could make some money auctioning them off.  

Excellent adaptation - simplifies things.  Since they don't have full statehood, it would cost less to "compensate" those living there.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

We should sell Puerto Rico. As far as I know it's empty as San Juan relocated to the Bronx.

THIS.  Useless without Vieques.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If your family was broke and you had a wife that drove a $250,000 car and spent $5,000/month on clothing, you would do best to change the spending habits.  And sell the car.

Therefore I offer that we can sell Washington DC with all of it's 'furnishings' to whomever will haul it all off to their own country.I'd rather keep the USVI that WDC.

Yep, I'd throw a few of our larger metro areas on that list as well, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I don't get it?  Hawaiians are racist?

Can you explain briefly?

Anyways, the British Empire pretty much divested itself of anything that wasn't far-flung sheep hearders or inbred island.  They don't publicly regret their actions, but I think they miss it.

Sell PR to china.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:12:06 PM EDT
[#24]
You can't just sell part of the country.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:13:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It would be much eaiser to sell the wife than get her to change her spending habbits.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

For those that reacted with sarcasm - what's your solution?  Do we just default?  (general) Why should the Government not operate according to the same rules under which we manage our homes and checkbooks?[/quote]

That is kinda what got us into the predicament we are in today....The fact that most homes operate like the .gov and spend more money than they can take in
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:28:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Why HI or VI ??

Why not Guam, American Samoa, Peurto Rico or the Northern Marianas ??

There's 9 other islands we have as well....

Bajo Nuevo Bank
Baker Island
Howland Island
Jarvis Island
Johnston Atoll
Kingman Reef
Midway Islands
Navassa Island
Palmyra Atoll

Problem is...I think we could sell all of em & not even touch the amount of money we would need to fix the problems we have.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Hawaii would be illegal.  The federal government cannot cede or divide the territory of a state.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hawaii would be illegal.  The federal government cannot cede or divide the territory of a state.

Good point.....

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:44:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I think we should sell Canada to Nigeria.  I've got an email that we copy and send to their president.  It will totally work.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:48:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I think we should sell Canada to Nigeria.  I've got an email that we copy and send to their president.  It will totally work.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:50:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you explain briefly?

Google 'Kill a Haole Day'.  Imagine if say Mississippi had a 'Lynch a ****** Day' that wasn't cracked down and condemned as racist.

Also read this

http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intelreport/article.jsp?aid=1081

Have you ever been there?  Experienced the hostility?  Being told when you ask about a region you would like to visit that 'You shouldn't go there, you're white'?

I hate Hawaii.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#33]
USVI.

I heart Hawaii.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:52:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Here's a little clue:

We've already sold the mainland.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:54:28 PM EDT
[#35]
If we sell Hawaii wouldn't that mean NObama is no longer a U.S. citizen and therefor not president. Hell for that I'd give it away
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point.....

They already do with Federal land holdings. Could they sell those or at least the drilling/mining/mineral rights to let's say...china?
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#37]
sell obama to china, That would start to fix the problem.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#38]
No way.

National Debt get's too bad we'll just invade somebody.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:19:16 PM EDT
[#39]
No. We should stop the subterfuge, stop trying to treat symptoms, and actually treat the issues

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:21:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's territory (land owned by the US), and also officially a state... but now we're splitting hairs.  

So, the USVI and Puerto Rico... I suppose we could make some money auctioning them off.  

Excellent adaptation - simplifies things.  Since they don't have full statehood, it would cost less to "compensate" those living there.  

Wrong.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you explain briefly?

Google 'Kill a Haole Day'.  Imagine if say Mississippi had a 'Lynch a ****** Day' that wasn't cracked down and condemned as racist.

Also read this

Have you ever been there?  Experienced the hostility?  Being told when you ask about a region you would like to visit that 'You shouldn't go there, you're white'?

I hate Hawaii.

That's no shit.  I've never been to Hawaii but every single person I've met from there is a complete and total asshole.  No exceptions, out of a hundred or so.

When they visit here they act like what the Euros despise about American tourists, but worse.  They are the most incredibly arrogant and boorish assholes I've ever met.

I'll never vacation in Hawaii, I'd probably get better treatment in Mexico without money if their tourists here are any example.

Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:38:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Auction off Iraq and Afghanistan to the highest bidder, two birds with one stone.

We'll throw Los Angeles and its people as a bargain.  We'll have to build a wall around the cess pool to keep them in first.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 12:57:24 AM EDT
[#43]
I've lived here in Hawaii for almost 25 years.  I'm white and can count on one hand with fingers left over the number of racially related problems I've had here, even less if you leave out the crazies.  I can't say the same about places I've lived on the mainland.

YMMV, mostly based upon your attitude.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 1:35:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So a state can't secede, but it can be sold out of the union?  

Let's pool our resources, buy Texas, and rename it...

ARFARKANA!
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:23:16 AM EDT
[#45]
How about we pass a set of laws that make Puerto Rico a sovereign country and hence no longer receives a free ride from the rest of us? If you think it's expensive now, add on universal healthcare in the near future.

Let's just incorporate Canada for its natural resources and Finland and Sweden for its women.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 2:52:43 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you explain briefly?

Also read this

I hate Hawaii.

That's no shit.  I've never been to Hawaii but every single person I've met from there is a complete and total asshole.  No exceptions, out of a hundred or so.

When they visit here they act like what the Euros despise about American tourists, but worse.  They are the most incredibly arrogant and boorish assholes I've ever met.

I'll never vacation in Hawaii, I'd probably get better treatment in Mexico without money if their tourists here are any example.

+1

When I was in the military my wife had some serious problems with neighbors from Hawaii. Not really sure why they started tormenting us because we NEVER did anything. We lived in housing that required a key to gain access to the stairwell or be “buzzed” in. On numerous occasions they would see my wife coming and would shut the doors on her then stand and look at her at laugh while she dug for her keys. They would normally do this when she had her hands full, either with our son or with groceries. They would pile THEIR trash in front of our door and when I asked about it they denied it saying I should take MY trash out.

It all culminated when the females of the family cornered my wife in the hall, threatening her and pushing her. I spoke with my 1st Sergeant and commander and they in turn contacted the service member’s commander to get everything resolved. After that there were no outward problems but they still managed to make our life a living hell for another six months. At one point they took chicken bones and piled them on our door step. They would also knock at the door or get really loud at odd hours. When I finally opened the door their family would be standing in their door laughing and then shut their door which was right across the hall from us.

Dolomite
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:33:27 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.

Hawaii is not a state?  Really?  You must be an unfortunate victim of this "new education" system.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:53:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We don't?  Does it say in the Constitution that we can buy territory, but not sell it?

I'm saying we keep Hawaii and sell a more useless state... like Alabama.  We could call it New Mexico..... oh, wait...  Mexibama?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 4:57:38 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Thoughts?
Sell the wife.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:01:23 AM EDT
[#50]
Funny. I had similar thoughts a few months ago. I figure the Chinese will demand Alaska and Hawaii for repayment. And most dummycrats would  go along with it if it meant dem handouts akeep acomin'.

And who cares if it is illegal or unconstitutional ? Has that ever slowed a politiician down?  Think of it as a huge eminent domain case.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top