Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2002 9:25:42 PM EDT
Not sure where to post this so....

I'm looking for a custom 1911 gunsmith in the south eastern WY or north eastern CO area. Anyone know of one?
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 7:18:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Might help if you list what you want done. There's always shipping anywhere versus doing it close. Wilson Combat & Les Baer are perhaps the two most famous 'smith operations. The Gunsmithing Guild can give you a list of their Top 100, pretty select company. Look in American Handgunner magazine for the 'smith ads.
Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 12:14:24 AM EDT
[#2]
there is a lot of hype and arrogance in the 1911 gunsmithing world, a bigger name doesnt always mean better it usually means more expensive.

you really need to decide what you want done to your gun, and how much you want to spend. your best bet is to get a price list of at least 10 different smiths and especially find out how long before your gun is done. the more famous smiths will take up to 6 months or more, because some shooters want only a big name on their gun and bragging rights. there are some smiths who will specialize in one or two things which is another thing to think about if your going that route.

a 1 lb trigger is still a 1 lb trigger regardless of who made it that way. everything else is a name, more money for that name and a longer waiting period to get the work done.

any smith who has made a name for himself can and will do quality work so it really comes down to whats mentioned above. if you can visit the shop and talk to the smith and see Several samples of Customer guns hes doing to get a feel.

wilson, baer, tussey, brown, vickers, kings, clark, gunsite ...will all do you right, i dont know anyone in your area.

for me i go to Kings Gun Works because they are close by, quicker and been in the business for 50 years, ive also seen over 20 customer guns done by them throughout a few years and all were exceptional, there is also a lot of gun writers that use their services (if that makes any difference to ya).
my 2nd choice would be Clark Custom , again they have been in the bidness for like 50 years or so and the work ive seen there has been excellent, and im impressed with customer service as well, too bad they are 2000 miles away.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 4:46:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 5:00:04 AM EDT
[#4]
When a gunsmith gives you an estimate of how long a job will take, keep in mind that "gunsmith time" generally doesn't run on the same calendar that the rest of us use. [;)]  So, for instance, if the estimated time to completion is two months, the actual time taken will probably be closer to five months.
Link Posted: 2/22/2002 6:04:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Might try Iky Starks in Denver.  He specializes in RELIABLE 1911's and may not take work that he thinks will compromise the reliability (can you say "crusty").

HTH....SRM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top