Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2002 8:24:13 PM EDT
REALLY BAD IDEA!

I just visted Gunbroker.com and I have to rant about what a farce the whole site is.

Most of these "dealers" list a firearm as "No Reserve!" and are really proud of the the no reserve part.

Now the minimum bid is #XXXX.XX, but there is 'No Reserve!"  You can't have no reserve AND a minimum bid, it's like having your cake and eating it too.

Perfect example  Youngsguns from here in TN, auctioning off at "No Reserve!" an HK USC in .45 - New
0 bids
starting bid $1,099.00

I hope it gathers an inch of dust waiting on a buyer stupid enough to see the "No Reserve" and the bid amount and lay one on it before realizing that he's the high bidder, and the only bidder.

Retail on this gun is $1249.00 as per the HK pricelist.  Is someone going to get a good deal?... well that depends on if the market will bear it or not.  If the seller had just posted that he has to get a minimum of $1,099.00, that's a different story, but the "No Reserve!" is just too much crap.  I almost think that leagally you could bid $10.00 and then sue for the firearm due to the no reserve advertising..

What a bunch of smoke and mirrors.

A perfect example whay AR15.com members overwhelmingly spoke out against AR15.com running an auction type board. I for one don't want to lump myself in with all the other whores out there advertising "No Reserve!" to get traffic to their auction then listing the starting bid at a price above dealer but below retail.

The market bears what pricing it will, and I've got to say that the BEST barometer of the firearms market is what happens everyday on the EE here at AR15.com.

Rant Off (finally)

whew... thanks.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 8:49:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Well if the sell isn't going to happen unless it gets to X price, why not just start it at X price and spare the trouble?
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 9:00:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Greed
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 9:08:29 PM EDT
[#3]
There are legitimate good deals to be had at Gunbroker, if you're willing to read through page after page of junk and overpriced dealer auctions.

My best find there was my 24" SS bull barrel on a Bushmaster lower, with a Harris Bipod, Leupold 4.5X14 Tactical Mil dot scope, 5 mags, and soft carry case for $1000. The scope lists for $650 alone...

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/critter%5FFR%2FBushmaster%2Ejpg[/img]

Good deals are in there, you just have to be patient.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top