Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2002 1:43:46 PM EDT
some one told me if i put a plastic coke bottle on the end of my gun, it would noticable reduce the sound.  in effect making it a silencer. is this true?
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Works with a .22 I know.

Never tried it with sub-sonic .22 but sounds more like punting a football than a crack.

Use the 2 liter one.  Blocks site picture though.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 1:53:43 PM EDT
[#2]
There used to be an adaptor that was intended to be used on the MAC series of Subguns.

It threaded on the barrel and matched the threads on the coke bottle.

The adaptor itself is considered to be a silencer by the ATF
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 1:58:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Let's see how long this thread lasts.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#4]
It will work.  Keep in mind a silencer is nothing but an expansion chamber.  Also keep in mind that it is highly illegal to put the coke bottle on your bbl.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 2:01:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Will this work with a Pepsi bottle?  Mmm, Britney...
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I wish silencers were legal.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Nope.  Only 2 liter Coke bottles.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#8]
and only the caffeine free ones at that. diet coke 2-liter wont work.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Only criminals need to silence their weapons!!!!  We need an immediate ban on all two liter coke bottles.....for the children.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 2:32:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I won't tell you how it to achieve this but keep this in mind expansion,cooling and venting
the gas.(steel tubing,screenwashers,and oiled felt.)[thinking]
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#12]
ok thanks guys. i just got a 2 liter coke bottle   hummmm.... NO BRITNEY!  [x]
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 4:06:43 PM EDT
[#13]
how much does it reduce the sound?
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#14]
An interesting concept.  A Class 2 Special Occupational Tax payer might, if he were so inclined, to examine the possibility of doing an experiment as to the noise reduction of commercial-grade cans to "homemade" varieties.  At the very least, in addition to the academic information, if commercial suppressors were demonstrably better than anything available "homemade" or "homegrown", it would definitely do wonders for sales.

To clarify:  Suppressors are legal in some states.  BATF regulates them under the National Firearms Act (NFA).  This does not mean that they are totally prohibited; just REGULATED, TAXED ALL UP THE WAZOO, and more difficult to acquire than just walking down to Walgreens and getting your film developed.

I understand Gemtech makes an excellent product, but with current Federal Law, some of the older-style suppressors must have parts replaced, and it is illegal to possess the replacement parts unless they are IN a suppressor, which means you have to have TWO, one for your gun, and another, technically registered as a suppressor, that is actually your replacement parts kit.

But it's best to ask a Class 3 (Dealer) Special Occupational Taxpayer, or a Class 2 (Manufacturer) Special Occupational Taxpayer, both who deal with NFA weapons (Machine Guns, Short Barreled Rifles, Short Barreled Shotguns, and Any Other Weapons) for the straight dope on this situation.

Honestly, if you know a Class 3 dealer in your area, don't be afraid to talk to him.  Generally they don't bite.  At least, none that I've met do.  And they'll show you how to stay on the straight and narrow as far as legality, after all, their business depends on it.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Panz
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Is that a glass coke bottle?
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't feed the (16 year old) [:K].
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 7:28:05 PM EDT
[#17]
i am not 16!
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#18]
20 oz softdrink bottle stuffed with longjohn material WILL WORK,,.......uh so I have read.
GG
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:19:43 AM EDT
[#19]
anyone else care to be investigated?  what great info you folks are giving the feds...
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:20:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I understand Gemtech makes an excellent product, but with current Federal Law, some of the older-style suppressors must have parts replaced, and it is illegal to possess the replacement parts unless they are IN a suppressor, which means you have to have TWO, one for your gun, and another, technically registered as a suppressor, that is actually your replacement parts kit.

Panz
View Quote

Gemtech does indeed make excellent suppressors. I've heard a few being shot and the sound suppression was awesome, but the downside is that they have an equally expensive price to go along with them.

Suppressors are in a sort of weird situation. Initially it was the tube itself that was the only regulated item since it is the actual serial numbered part, much like a receiver. When this was the case you could find tons of suppressor "parts kits" for sale on the market that would include everything except the tube. As BATF started finding more and more illegal suppressors made with these legal parts kits and a piece of pipe from Home Depot they decided that they were going to start regulating the parts kits as suppressors themselves.

This left a lot of people following the rules in a tough position because many of the older suppressors were constructed using desposable "wipes" that needed to be replaced occasionally to keep the original suppression factor. Now, in order to replace the wipes the suppressors had to be sent back to the manufacturer for repairs instead of the owner keeping a supply of extra wipes to replace themselves when it was needed.

Today there are virtually no suppressors made with disposable parts and different variations of metal baffles rule the suppressor market. Some can be taken apart for cleaning and others can't and are usually soaked in cleaning solutions to loosen deposits. Also, many owners of the older cans keep large sheets of material to use to replace the worn out wipes with. They simply remove the worn wipe and destroy it before making the replacement. While technically this may be illegal, I personally don't believe that the spirit of the law is being violated and I haven't heard of anyone ever being prosecuted for doing this.

Last week I ordered a .22LR can from Eric at Silent Delivery Systems while they were on sale for $100. Whenever my dealer gets it and I get to play with it some I'll post the results if anyone is interested.

I hope some of you find this at least a little educational.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:31:38 AM EDT
[#21]
longest rogue post I have ever seen- some mod has their finger on the button now...
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#23]
How about a watermelon on the end of the barrel? Sure it is heavy as hell but I bet gas could expand, the water in the melon would cool the gas. You may think it would look funny to carry liek that, but wait - Birdman will market it!!

BAN WATERMELON, ITS FOR THE CHILDREN!

[beer]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top