Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2002 11:09:40 PM EDT
I was on my way home from work at 22:30 fro, pit international airport when i got a ph call from a coworker that was 5 min ahead of me. He told me a deer was beside the highway(rt 60 north) looking dazed. I found the deer sitting in the breakdown lane watching trafic. When I pulled over it didn't startle! I walked up and knifed it in the chest. It had obviously been stunned by a car hit. I pulled it into the bed of my white pickup truck  leaving a gory blood trail all over the tailgate. When I came into town the blood was obvious in the city lights of Chippewa. I got pulled over at the first light. The trooper, not to be named asked me about the mess and told me to get it cleaned up NOW! He was very cool about the blood and didn't give me any shit. Just wanted to come to our deer, beer, and darts night next week.
He is very welcome!
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 11:14:42 PM EDT
[#1]
WoW! - and all this happened in Ohio or Pennsylvania?
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 11:16:49 PM EDT
[#2]
The deer was in pa and so was the pull over, it is now hanging in my garage in ohio...pat
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a cool cop, but just for future referance LEO stands for Law Enforcement Only. Not Law Enforcement Officer.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 11:26:43 PM EDT
[#4]
The deer was hung and dressed in my garage with the help of a very good friend. When we have any hanging bambi we always party! The normal party is a quarter on the barbi with lots of beer and dart games. Usualy this is in november but now we are shooting in febuary with a new friend....pat
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 11:46:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Just to keep you honest, isn't it fair to point out that YOU are an leo? You have beautiful eyes officer! (bat bat)
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 11:50:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I have never enforced a law, and I do not wear a badge. I work for an airline, but I eat bambi all I can get...pat
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 11:57:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow! 4 minutes on stake out!
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 12:05:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:43:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like a cool cop, but just for future referance LEO stands for Law Enforcement Only. Not Law Enforcement Officer.
View Quote

Actually, LEO is used far more commonly to mean Law Enforcement Officer than Law Enforcement Only, at least here.

-Troy
View Quote
                                                Anyway.....we all knew what he meant.......as for the deer....yum-yum.....[argue]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:18:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Pennsylvania police tend to be very professional and competant. I've yet to meet a REAL a-hole cop in Pa. (I'm sure there are a few). Had you been in Maryland, you would probably be in jail right now. I don't know on what charges and that doesn't matter - Md. cops would think of SOMETHING to charge you with, even if you were 100% in the right.  All that blood would be all it took.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:28:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't understand what the big deal is. This is what should be expected of the police instead of a lot of the bullshit you catch on occasion. He saw something suspicious, investigated it, found it was nothing and sent you on your way, exactly what he is supposed to do.

The sad state of most of our law enforcement is only evidenced that this post actually exists. The police are praised for doing thier job and NOT being an asshole about it. Actually, I would have probably been irritated about the "clean up your truck NOW" statement. What business is it of his if you want to drive around in a bloody truck?
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 10:30:18 AM EDT
[#12]
What! You weren't arrested for animal cruelty, taking the law into your own hands, some other gobbledy-gook? Heh
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 11:28:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The deer was hung and dressed in my garage with the help of a very good friend. When we have any hanging bambi we always party! The normal party is a quarter on the barbi with lots of beer and dart games. Usualy this is in november but now we are shooting in febuary with a new friend....pat
View Quote

Ed Gein also did things like that.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 11:57:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't understand what the big deal is. This is what should be expected of the police instead of a lot of the bullshit you catch on occasion. He saw something suspicious, investigated it, found it was nothing and sent you on your way, exactly what he is supposed to do.

The sad state of most of our law enforcement is only evidenced that this post actually exists. The police are praised for doing thier job and NOT being an asshole about it. Actually, I would have probably been irritated about the "clean up your truck NOW" statement. What business is it of his if you want to drive around in a bloody truck?
View Quote

Paterpk used a knife to take a deer out of season. Never mind that it was injured, he has no right under the law to take game out of season. He should have reported the animal to the State Police and let them put it down and he probably could have claimed the carcass. Dripping blood on the roadway is littering. If you saw a truck from a slaughter house dripping goo onto the roadway you would be repulsed. Other than the quantity of the mess what's the difference? Argue if you want but the fact is there is no difference. The cop could have broken it off in him. He chose to use some discretion. He could have taken a whole host of enforcement actions but he didn't. So he not only wasn't an asshole , he didn't do his job either. What do you make of that?
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 12:32:14 PM EDT
[#15]
In many states, a deer is the property of the state.  Thus all the game laws.  They can punish you for taking game out of season, they can make you pay reparations to the state for the value of the game you took illegally.

BUT, once it has been struck by a car, suddenly they don't want it.  They know nothing, the see nothing.  It is not theirs, they don't want anything to do with it.  Because IF it were the state's deer, and it ran in front of your car, came through your windshield and killed your wife and/or kids, the state could be responsible.  But once it has been struck by a car, they don't want it anymore, so it is fair game.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 12:55:45 PM EDT
[#16]
While you're enjoying Bambi, beer, and darts in your garage, keep an eye peeled for camo sporting antlers and M4s.  Payback time.  [;)]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Paterpk used a knife to take a deer out of season. Never mind that it was injured, he has no right under the law to take game out of season. He should have reported the animal to the State Police and let them put it down and he probably could have claimed the carcass. Dripping blood on the roadway is littering. If you saw a truck from a slaughter house dripping goo onto the roadway you would be repulsed. Other than the quantity of the mess what's the difference? Argue if you want but the fact is there is no difference. The cop could have broken it off in him. He chose to use some discretion. He could have taken a whole host of enforcement actions but he didn't. So he not only wasn't an asshole , he didn't do his job either. What do you make of that?
View Quote

I make of that, if you're really serious, my opinion of you is totally and completely on target.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 1:09:11 PM EDT
[#18]
how could you do that to bambi [>Q]

Link Posted: 2/10/2002 1:24:24 PM EDT
[#19]
[Barney Fife] The law, is the LAW![/Barney Fife]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 1:37:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

What do I make of that? Did you even read my post? I said "[b]This is what should be expected of the police instead of a lot of the bullshit you catch on occasion.[/b]"

Do you like apples?

Because what you spewed is exactly what I was talking about, a bunch of bullshit.

How do you like them apples?

Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#22]
here is the best kind of encounter to have with an LEO on duty and in uniform:
None.

Why? Casual coversation with a cop, even one you know, could be 'filed away' and used. With hope it could be used FOR you, but, one never knows. If you are just going about your business, you don't have to speak with a cop, unless he has a VERY good reason to detain you. Remember back when people used to say, "It's a free country"?

Don't take up the officer's valuable time by doing something which might attract his/her attention. Let him use that time to deal with the REAL criminals, instead of giving him/her a pretext to detain you.

Lesson learned at the College of Hard Knox.......

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to
gain ground.
- --THOMAS JEFFERSON
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Had you been in Maryland, you would probably be in jail right now. I don't know on what charges and that doesn't matter - Md. cops would think of SOMETHING to charge you with, even if you were 100% in the right.  All that blood would be all it took.
View Quote

I broke down once in Maryland. The cops aren't very professional. But, the worst are DC. When I was visiting DC a while back...and I got to see how criminal their cops are. I saw several cops grab some guy, throw him to the ground, and use excessive force. I asked somebody what he did (expecting to hear Armed Robbery or something). Instead it turns out he was selling w/o a permit. WTF, all that force for not paying for a proper permit ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top