Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2009 7:58:51 AM EDT
It does not cost more to eat right.. (my findings on dieting with my wife.)

after looking at the weekly food bill, we as a family of 4 went from about $330 a week to about < $200.

thats cutting out all pre processed food (microwaveable) and going to all fresh veggies and meat (lots of ground lean turkey).

Im having to cook each night but, left overs are for lunch the next day.

Im eating smaller portions and getting full on less (about 400-500 cals per meal), but I eat every 2 hrs..

Im feeling better both mentaly and physicaly, have seemed to have dodged the cold that running around in my area. .

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Because I stay home and cook, I bet the food bill for my family is less than half that of most.    I can cook a full dinner of filet mingon, baked potatoes, vegetables etc for probably the same price as going to McDonald's.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:06:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Because I stay home and cook, I bet the food bill for my family is less than half that of most.    I can cook a full dinner of filet mingon, baked potatoes, vegetables etc for probably the same price as going to McDonald's.

yup!

its so true.. very suprizing when ya start crunching the numbers..
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Welcome to the club.

You will also save about $100 a month in toilet paper from eating better.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:08:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Holy shit, $330 for a week feeding 4 people?

I know we don't spend more than $450 a month for a family of 5. Lots of pasta,hamburger, homemade soups and such, and on a rare occasion a Steak or two.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:08:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I found out the same thing a couple weeks ago when we started back to eating healthy and working out.

I bet my wife and I don't spend $50 a week on all the items for our meals now.

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Welcome to the club.

no I live with 2 women.. I think they eat TP..
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:14:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Dear god dude. $330?? REALLY?  Life's rough when you eat prime rib every day I guess.  

Family of 6 working on about $120 a week. And we spread out about $20-30 a month on prep food.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:18:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Other than our 7 year old all of us have gotten into eating a lot better. Chicken, venison and tuna with vegetables from the garden and lots of rice.

Family of 5 we spend about a 100 bucks a week tops now instead of 200.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:19:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Convenience foods, like Convenience stores, cost you more per pound for the Convenience
it also conveniently puts more per pound on our collective asses

CHEF
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:23:51 AM EDT
[#10]
But poor people are fat because they can't afford healthy food.  That's what the media says.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Yup it was expensive at first because we had to stock up on the basics, but now our grocery store runs are about $60 every other week.  Lots of fresh stuff, steaks are cheap, and we hit all the sales.  We are eating better, and I've started working out too.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:24:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dear god dude. $330?? REALLY?  Life's rough when you eat prime rib every day I guess.  

Family of 6 working on about $120 a week. And we spread out about $20-30 a month on prep food.

nope a LOT of microwave food..
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:28:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

But poor people are fat because they can't afford healthy food.
That's what the media says.

With what I see people buying on foodstamps they can afford to eat healthy.

Oh and the only healthy food thats more than the cheap stuff is the packaged and marketed as healthy stuff.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:30:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup!

its so true.. very suprizing when ya start crunching the numbers..

I'm single and buy the family packs of meats for breakdown and storage. An average meal costs ~$5....steak, pork chops or chicken; rice or potatoes and some corn or green beans. The pasta meals cost even less.

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:32:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I'll say this... If you compare only eating out, eating healthy is WAY more expensive.  I was spending $800 per month on myself alone eating out at healthy restaurants.

But yes, cooking at home can be very cheap and healthy at the same time.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:34:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Other than our 7 year old all of us have gotten into eating a lot better. Chicken, venison and tuna with vegetables from the garden and lots of rice.

Family of 5 we spend about a 100 bucks a week tops now instead of 200.

Why hasn't your 7 year old???  You are the parents, make the kid eat it.  He/she will grow into it and eat well as an adult if you teach them now.

Quoted:
But poor people are fat because they can't afford healthy food.  That's what the media says.

Aggravating.  In reality, poor people are poor and fat for the same reason.  They're too lazy to do anything about it. (some go through hard times, but, in general this is true)

Congrats OP for empowering yourself and improving your life.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:36:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm gunna say holy shit, 300/wk... That'd last me a month then some more..

I find buying in bulk saves good bit of money, going to "overstock" food stores - there's a "bread" store who sells "overstock" or undeliverable orders for 2/3 of the price retail, i.e. 3.50 in stores but at this store it's 1.25..

That helps a lot. Also hit up farm stands and such this time of the year.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:40:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

most of the time people are poor because they are lazy and guess what.... that is why they are fat as well.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:40:20 AM EDT
[#19]
HOLY SHIT!

Were you eating $20 dollar bills??????

I have a bigger crew to feed, and we eat VERY well, and don't spend anywhere NEAR that!!!
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:42:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Welcome to the club.

LMAO!
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:43:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Yep, just points out one facet of life that Americans (mostly) don't bother to learn.  Our poor would be much better off if they learned how to cook.  

But, we can't expect the poor to take care of themselves, right?  That wouldn't be FAIR, now would it??

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:43:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Funny how that happens. I like buying in bulk, things like pasta, and you can change up what you have every night of the week. Always something new to cook up.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:45:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Welcome to the club.

my wife and i spend about 80/week on food.  We cook at home for breakfast and dinner during the week and then every meal (except for the date night once a month) at home.

Every so often, we peak at 120 (for the soap, tp, paper towels, spices/mustard/mayo/hot sauce).

ETA:   My chicken fried steak tastes better than 98% of the chicken fried chicken out there (Babe's and Prairie House in Roanoke both make a kick-ass CFS).

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:46:44 AM EDT
[#24]
You're doing it right, smaller, more frequent meals are the key.

Cooking your own meals is no big deal, you start to enjoy it if you don't already.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 8:51:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You're doing it right, smaller, more frequent meals are the key.

Cooking your own meals is no big deal, you start to enjoy it if you don't already.

I always loved to cook, but WoW cut into my cooking time..

Im kicking the WoW habit (quit raiding), getting my life back and cooking more..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top