Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2009 2:42:01 PM EDT
I've got one of those Harbor Freight 20 gallon parts washers. I use Kerosene in it to clean my guns. Is it safe to keep the kerosene in the washer when it is not being used? I use the thing maybe once every two months. I've been fiddling around with trying to rig up a pum and external storage resovoir but not really sure if this is necessary. What say arfcom?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:09:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I would switch over to a Slip2000 product. Its safer than kerosene and works great on firearms.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Close the lid on the parts washer.  Done.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had Kerosene in mine for years and haven't had a problem.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Great.... where do you get slip2000? How much does it cost? What makes it better than kerosene?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been a mechanic for 30 years. And from the look's of some of the solvent in our part's washer's. It's been stored at least that long in it's original container. Close the lid and forget about it. Add some if it evaporate's. Oh ya don't smoke while your cleaning parts with Kerosene. Thats what gasoline is for.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 3:25:08 PM EDT
[#6]
How do you guys or do you guys, occasionally filter the kerosene to remove dirt and debris? I'm figuring the best thing to do would be to stir it up, then pump the fluid through a pump, through a filter, and into a 20 gal gas can or something similar.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top