Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2009 8:23:30 PM EDT
So I was in the pet store buying some more dog food and there was a nice California Kingsnake there. Dark brown with white markings. He seemed rather tame, I held him for about 5 min with him just curled around my arm. My little 2 year old ran over and grabbed him before I could stop her, and he didn't react.

Anyways, I used to have garter snakes when I was little (like 9 or 10). I always liked them because they were interesting animals. I liked watching them move, and their physiology has fascinated me for as long as I can remember. My son (4 years old) also seems to have an interest in them, and likes looking at pictures of snakes, lizards, etc. He lists snakes as among his favorite animals if asked.

So I kinda want to buy this snake. He is $140 + whatever I need for his care (tank, bedding, etc). My wife says no, but I think she doesn't really base that on anything other than just a general dislike of snakes, which it seems most people have. I don't think she has a real fear of them, and can be swayed otherwise I wouldn't even seriously consider it. I'm fairly sure that she would relent if approached properly.

So any advice for a potential new wannabe snake owner? Costs of vet visits, recurring expenses, things you know now you wish you did then, tips, etc?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I hear Kingsnake tastes just like chicken.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:25:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Reptiles are expensive to care for, need fancy lights and vitamin powders, and won't fetch the duck you just shot.

Ask me how I know.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Kill it. Kill it with fire.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:30:12 PM EDT
[#4]
It's addicting.

I've had a few, they're awesome animals, just make sure you escape-proof that cage. Any space and he will find his way out.

My room mate moved out after he went to take a piss one morning and looked up at my 7' Amethystine Python coiled up on a towel rack a foot away staring at him.

He ran around screaming like a girl

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's addicting.

I've had a few, they're awesome animals, just make sure you escape-proof that cage. Any space and he will find his way out.

My room mate moved out after he went to take a piss one morning and looked up at my 7' Amethystine Python coiled up on a towel rack a foot away staring at him.

Awesome, just, awesome
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's addicting.

I caught garter snakes when I was a kid and would shack them up in a terrarium I had. It was a poops and laughs until it escaped and scared the shit out of my mom.

Do King Snakes stink like garter snakes? If not I would say go for it. Nothing like watching a snake devour a rat to teach your kids about life and death.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:43:57 PM EDT
[#7]
dibs on guns,ammo,optics,tac vests,magazines,food preps,water preps,and vehilces when the snake escapes and kills you
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's addicting.

So, any advice other than don't let them get out?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:42:51 AM EDT
[#9]
WAY too much for that snake.

Id suggest you get something a bit meatier and robust for a first snake with small children.

Kenyan Sand Boas are really pretty but only get about two feet long but thick. They are easy to care for and pretty cheap. At herp shows expect around $30-50 for a normal phase. They can live in 20long tank for life. Plus I have NEVER heard of anyone being bitten by one!

Another great option is a ball python. They are cheap, I can get them for $20 locally at a pet shop that breeds them. They are easy to care for and stay small too, around 4ft.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 5:45:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
WAY too much for that snake.

Id suggest you get something a bit meatier and robust for a first snake with small children.

Kenyan Sand Boas are really pretty but only get about two feet long but thick. They are easy to care for and pretty cheap. At herp shows expect around $30-50 for a normal phase. They can live in 20long tank for life. Plus I have NEVER heard of anyone being bitten by one!

Another great option is a ball python. They are cheap, I can get them for $20 locally at a pet shop that breeds them. They are easy to care for and stay small too, around 4ft.

Thanks for the info. Looks like there will be a snake show in Austin next month. I'll head there and see what they have.

Is there a snake/reptile version of arfcom?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top